jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Hey there, long time reader, first post here....A little while back i put together my first computer and used an Intel Pentium D 805 as the processor cuz it was really cheap. It runs perfectly fine, has been for months now.

But recently, i noticed in the task manager that under the performance tab, it only shows one graph of the CPU usage....Isn't it supposed to show two seperate graphs, one for each core???

I went into device manager and under processors, it's showing two seperate processors both with the same name so things seem normal there.

My quesion is....Are both cores even working and processing data, is the task manager messed up?? I'm not actually sure what to even ask lol, but any help is really appreciated.

oh people usually ask the rest of the computer specs so....
Intel Pentium D805
DDRII 667 1GB x2
Maxtor 60GB Ultra ATA HD
NVidia GeForce FX-5500
ASRock VIA PT 880Pro

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
wow those were fast replies....ok I went to task manager and the One Graph per CPU option has a dot next to it (so i guess it's active?), nothing happens when i click it, still showing one graph and the option still has the dot so i guess i can't deselect it..

as for the process explorer, it's also showing one graph. In the help section it says system information will have a check box to show one graph per CPU for eligible computers, but i have no such check box in the system information dialog box....

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
CPU-Z results:
Cores: 1
:(

As for the HDD, it serves its purpose and the PSU is the one that came with the case, i think a broadway com case?? anyway, my set up is obviously not really demanding of power so i didn't worry about the PSU.
I'm a college student with no job which means no $$$ for the nice stuff lol

So i guess one core is faulty? could there be anything in the BIOS i might have accidentally changed? Oh thanks alot for the help from everyone, really appreciate it.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
It's possible in some BIOSes to disable the second core. I don't now if a disabled core would still show up under your device manager. Double-check your BIOS settings and see if that's the problem.

This may be way off track, but I've heard XP pre-SP1 can't handle multiple cores, but I haven't come across anyone not using an updated version of Windows. If everything in Windows fails, you could use an Ubuntu live CD and run under a different OS for a bit to see if your hardware is properly detected there.

maybe post a screencap from CPU-Z here. Does it at least tell you it's a PD805?

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
ss.jpg

that's the CPU-Z screen shot, i don't know why it's comin out all messed up but you get the idea, it does say D 805, the processor selection drop down menu is grayed out and it says cores: 1

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
yea sucks that it's faulty...i originally made the computer to play WoW but THANK GOD i gave that game up and now i don't use my computer for anything but basic school stuff so even that one core is enough, thanks again to everyone for their help!!

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
This definitely falls in the bizarre category.

It could be a BIOS setting... I can't see how there could be a problem on the chip itself and still let it function perfectly with 1 core.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Especially considering CPU-Z is detecting all of the cache, this is very strange. I can't imagine that if one core were disabled in the BIOS that the cashe from the disabled core would be detected.

Of course, that means nothing if CPU-Z is just reporting the amount of cashe that a database says comes with the chip based on CPUID.