Internet Explorer window will not open

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I recently upgraded my system to XP Pro and everything seems to work fine
except that I cannot open important things such as My Computer and Internet
Explorer. When I click on the icons the hourglass appears but no window
opens, my computer freezes for a few seconds and then Dr. Watson says that
it has encountered an error and then it shuts down. Even though I cannot open
a window, my broadband connection works since I am able to use my yahoo
messenger. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Sander

Have you installed XP SP2? If not, that would be a good place to start.

"Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded my system to XP Pro and everything seems to work fine
> except that I cannot open important things such as My Computer and
> Internet
> Explorer. When I click on the icons the hourglass appears but no window
> opens, my computer freezes for a few seconds and then Dr. Watson says
> that
> it has encountered an error and then it shuts down. Even though I cannot
> open
> a window, my broadband connection works since I am able to use my yahoo
> messenger. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Start - Run - sfc /scannow
Go away and let it run 20-40 min. or so.
You will need your XP disk.
If this does not work, do a Repair Install:

"Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded my system to XP Pro and everything seems to work fine
> except that I cannot open important things such as My Computer and
Internet
> Explorer. When I click on the icons the hourglass appears but no window
> opens, my computer freezes for a few seconds and then Dr. Watson says
that
> it has encountered an error and then it shuts down. Even though I cannot
open
> a window, my broadband connection works since I am able to use my yahoo
> messenger. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Does that mean that if the OP has just installed XP SP2 that SP2 might be
the problem or are you saying he should install SP2 to fix his problem?

"Sander" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
Have you installed XP SP2? If not, that would be a good place to start.

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks for your suggestion however I tried sfc\scannow and my computer froze.
I also tried repair install it did not fix the problem. I have also already
installed sp2. Maybe this can help: when I am in safe mode and log on as an
administrator I am able to access the internet explorer window except that It
shows that I have not established a network. In addition, I am able to access
"my computer" and "control panel", things that I am not able to do outside of
safe mode. Any ideas?

"T. Waters" wrote:

> Start - Run - sfc /scannow
> Go away and let it run 20-40 min. or so.
> You will need your XP disk.
> If this does not work, do a Repair Install:
>
> "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently upgraded my system to XP Pro and everything seems to work fine
> > except that I cannot open important things such as My Computer and
> Internet
> > Explorer. When I click on the icons the hourglass appears but no window
> > opens, my computer freezes for a few seconds and then Dr. Watson says
> that
> > it has encountered an error and then it shuts down. Even though I cannot
> open
> > a window, my broadband connection works since I am able to use my yahoo
> > messenger. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

A wild guess: do you have any Norton products installed?
Also, did you install XP Pro as an upgrade installation, and if so, over
what version of Windows?
You may want to repost again, mentioning that you cannot run scannow and
that repair install did no good. Subject line: "XP Pro upgrade loses IE and
My Computer."