8800GTS + C2D @ 3GHz, horrible performance, help!

solinar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
OK I just built a new computer.

E6300
Gigabyte P965-DSR3 Rev 3.3
2 X 1GB PC6400 Cas 4 G.Skill Ram
EVGA 8800GTS PCI-Express
Rosewill 550Watt power supply.
Raptor 74GB SATA 10k drive.

I have the computer clocked at 3 GHz (428 MHz FSB) @ all default voltages (CPU/ram/GPU), with CPU temps not going over 55°C.

I get 3341 3DMarks in 3DMark06 which is like 1/3 -1/4 of others scores for a similar setup.
Older Games like Tiger Woods 06, and titan quest, are very low FPS with Fraps. My full 3DMark score is:
3341 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score: 1252
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 1217
CPU Score: 2517

so the CPU seems to be performing as I would expect. The problem appears to be with the video card underperforming by a wide margin.

I installed and ran ATItools and it reports the core is at 513 MHz and the memory 792 MHz all at 57°C.

Is there some software that will analyze my card and say if I have a setting wrong somewhere? I am using latest edition drivers, latest mobo bios, and am not seeing much in the bios for settings other than PCI-Express buss speed, which I have tried on 100 MHz and on Auto.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
OK I just built a new computer.

E6300
Gigabyte P965-DSR3 Rev 3.3
2 X 1GB PC6400 Cas 4 G.Skill Ram
EVGA 8800GTS PCI-Express
Rosewill 550Watt power supply.
Raptor 74GB SATA 10k drive.

I have the computer clocked at 3 GHz (428 MHz FSB) @ all default voltages (CPU/ram/GPU), with CPU temps not going over 55°C.

I get 3341 3DMarks in 3DMark06 which is like 1/3 -1/4 of others scores for a similar setup.
Older Games like Tiger Woods 06, and titan quest, are very low FPS with Fraps. My full 3DMark score is:
3341 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score: 1252
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 1217
CPU Score: 2517

so the CPU seems to be performing as I would expect. The problem appears to be with the video card underperforming by a wide margin.

I installed and ran ATItools and it reports the core is at 513 MHz and the memory 792 MHz all at 57°C.

Is there some software that will analyze my card and say if I have a setting wrong somewhere? I am using latest edition drivers, latest mobo bios, and am not seeing much in the bios for settings other than PCI-Express buss speed, which I have tried on 100 MHz and on Auto.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, this doesn't have anything to do with it but are you running your cpu clock and the ram at a 1:1 ratio? If yes then you're overclocking the ram correct?

Anyways, I would try to reinstall drivers again (from nvidia site). Use driver cleaner this time though to make sure all old drivers are completely erased (run driver cleaner in safe mode).

Do this:
Download and install driver cleaner
Download latest drivers from nvidia set (make sure it's for your hardware lol), but don't install yet
Remove all old drivers for nvidia (it will ask you to restart, click on yes and go to safe mode when it boots up by pressing f8 constantly and clicking on safe mode)
Run driver cleaner and remove all nvidia stuff
Restart and install the drivers you downloaded
Restart again

Try that and see what happens. If that doesn't work, try resetting your bios to default (by removing the cmos battery on the motherboard) and try it out. May be a bad card.

Bump the voltages up one notch on everything. ( the minimum you can )

Then make sure the memory is NOT running above 800. A little below is okay.

If this doesn't work, get rid of the power supply and try again. Corsair makes a really good one. 520 watt, 40 amp modular, and it is overkill for what you have.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Bump the voltages up one notch on everything. ( the minimum you can )

Then make sure the memory is NOT running above 800. A little below is okay.

If this doesn't work, get rid of the power supply and try again. Corsair makes a really good one. 520 watt, 40 amp modular, and it is overkill for what you have.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Almost forgot. Doesn't that board maker recomend cas 5 latency and a max voltage of 1.8 or 1.85 ?

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hmm, I suppose that would allow the cpu to get by off less power at stock, so I suppose that might show if it's a psu problem to some extent, though I want the op to find out how many watts the psu supplies off the 12v rail, or at least how many amps it supplies continously

true true

It says it "could" supply upto 35 amps (or 420 watts), so if the psu was running perfectly fine that would be enough. But yeah it may not be supplying that amount.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Antec's NeoHE line of power supplies is decent, capable of putting out what they say. They are fine if you can't afford to step up to a quality unit.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Just because a power supply is sold by Antec does not mean it's produced by Antec, remember that. Each different line can have a different OEM, so hypothetically the True Power line could be produced by PC P&C for Antec and the NeoHE line could be produced by Etasis. They choose their OEM based on their target market, in this case the NeoHE line has a target market of efficiency-minded people who also want a decent amount of power to run their gear.

solinar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Updates!

OK, first off, answers to questions.

I am running the ram at 1:1 @ 856, using the 5-5-5-15 timing settings manually set (its rated for 800 @ cas 4).

I tried reinstalling the nvidia driver first, although its a clean install of XP Pro with only the latest driver ever installed.

PSU. I tried using 2 conventional connectors with the 2:1 power adapter that came with the EVGA card instead of the 6 port adapter that comes out of my power supply. No difference.

I tried resetting the bios fully, loading failsafe settings, and running 3dmark. Some success!

All Bios settings Defaults
7642 3DMarks
SM2.0 Score: 3573
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 3641
CPU Score: 1639

I tried bumping up the PCI-Express voltage +0.1V and ran it again with the same results. ~7600ish 3DMarks

I then tried setting all the timings manually, but using default speeds and voltages, same score ~7600ish 3Dmarks.

I then tried bumping up the clock from 266 MHz to 300 MHz and bumping up the PCI-Express voltage +0.1V.

Failure! Back to ~3300ish 3DMarks.

I then started looking at my PCI-E slot in CPU-Z.

I set all the timings manually again, using default speeds (266MHz) and voltages, booted up and fired up CPU-Z. PCI-Express is running at Link Width x16.

I then bumped up the FSB to 300 MHz (from 266), booted up and ... PCI-Express is running at Link Width x1!

OK so my PCI-E slot is running at x1 when I bump up the FSB over 266 MGz. I have the PCI-E frequency manually set at 100 MHz. What could be causing this, and how do I go about fixing it?

Is this a motherboard problem? Will it reduce the PCI-E slot due to PSU lack of voltage/amperage?

Thanks for all the help and responses so far.

solinar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Edit: Problem solved!

I read this post on the anand forums and someone posted the following:

I had the same problem with my Ati X1900XTX. I set the PCIE frequency to 105MHz and that fixed it.

It is now running x16 @ 3 GHz

I am now getting 8679 3DMarks with more tweaks to come.

Thanks again all.