Sign in with
Your question

video capture/mpeg converter card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 15, 2007 8:30:47 PM

I need something to convert VHS tapes and Hi-8 tapes to DVD. I will be doing some editing of some footage. (I assume that you can capture without compressing with an encoding card, but just want to make sure) From what I have read, mpeg4 seems to be what I should compress it to. I need it to have composite and firewire 6-pin inputs, but others are always a plus. I would like it to be a hardware encoder since most of what I will be doing is going right from tape to dvd. What would give me the best quality for about $300. I have a pci, pcie x1, pcie x16, firewire, and usb ports avaliable.

Would I need a dedicated HDD for the video, currently I only have a 320gb with only 130gb free space.

Software wise, Adobe seems to have a large following, so I think that I will get the Premier Elements 3. Is there a better software in that price range-about $100?

Thanks for the help.
October 14, 2007 5:59:15 PM

ADSTECH is not to be trusted! They have minimal support and no supervisors! I bought an Instant TV+FM Pci board (PTV-352-EFG) . It came with virtually no documation, download at the site. The package included a remote which was not covered in the documentation. After about a dozen emails back and forth, I asked for a supervisor; there are none. The remote is not the one advertised or documented; it's a universal! The icons and markings do not match what the remote does. To this point, I am unable to find the correct remote. ADS Tech used to be a good company. BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK! I NEVER WILL AGAIN!
!