What would you give this build? (1= low, 10 = high)

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Ok, I will be building this PC for one of my friends who want a budget PC after Aprill 22nd. The budget is $500 without shipping. Here is what I put in:

*All prices are rounded to nearest $.

LOGISYS Computer Area 51 Computer Case With 450W PSU = $35

GIGABYTE GA-945P-S3= $77

GIGABYTE GeForce 7300GS= $52

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300= $164

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB = $53

LITE-ON 18X DVD±R DVD Burner=$30

Microsoft Windows XP Home=$90

Total= $500
(He already have 3x 512MB DDR2 sticks)

This is meant to be a budget that he will be able to upgrade later. And yes the E4300 will be slightly OC'ed. This will be replacing a DELL with a P4. So what would you change in this build?

Silent_Bob

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Personally I'd go with a DS3 motherboard for more OC headroom. I've seen them at newegg for as low as $110. If you could scavenge a DVD drive from his existing system and transfer that $30 to the MB fund you'd be keeping with the budget and have a much better platform on which to expand. As well, I'd keep an eye on the PS. I never use cheap ones but that's just cause I had one fry a MB and CPU once, so I am jaded on that front. Also, a cheap ps may have more voltage fluctuations that could effect his ability to OC (but since its a base to upgrade from you should be ok for the short/medium term).

Other than that for a budget build it seems ok.

Edit: when scrolling down on the newegg page I saw a few ds3 listed at 95-99 if you are ok with open box.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
ok for a budget build, hard to get better for $500, as long as the buyer knows this will not be a stable system for many years, you will soon need to upgrade every piece. Make sure the case can take a MIcroATX MB.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
3. For now.

Bundled PSUs are rarely any good, and for $35 I know the thing is going to be trash.

This psu one the other hand is pretty good for the price, and will give you more oc'ing and upgrading headroom.

With a new psu I'll give it a 7, pretty decent budget build.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
now i agree what they are saying a bout the Ds3, if your going to OC, however my only quirey is wether the PSU in the case is good enough

when they come with the case they often die young and screem loud - just a fought

Ok thank you all for the replies. Sorry if my title sounded too demanding. Here are some clarifications that I would like to make. This is a strict budget build. This is strictly a budget build and this WILL NOT be OC’ed very much. The motherboard and the possibly the CPU will be updated in another year or so along with graphics. As for the PSU I have used this PSU with case in a previous build and works without problems. Yes I would like to get a better PSU but its all about the $.