computer gurus please help! just dont know what to do! 8(

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
so my comp was recently glitching out.. video in games or watching videos would glitch out on screen lil bits then would crash sorta... monitor stops getting signals off and on till comp freezes or resets. I first thought it was because of overheating cause I had a case with terrible airflow so replaced it now everything has been running cooler. and its been fine for a week+ but started doing it again today out of the blue.

did a ram test today and seems to be ok. Only changed bios settings are higher voltage set to 2.1 because ramguy on corsairs website told me to set it to that ( long time ago 6 months or so i got comp it would randomly reset because ram wasnt getting enough default voltage and that worked fine since but anyhow figured id mention it ) I ever lowered voltage to check that and still did it so doubt its that... only new parts in machine would be my razer ac1 soundcard but it couldnt cause this could it?

hmmm running 450 watt psu, antec 900 case, pd960 3.6 gig cpu, 2 gigs of corsair 2x2048 6400 ram, asus 7900 gt top v card, 320 gb barracuda hd.. actuay it crashes in windows now lol

edit sorry for spacing typing fast as possible before it does it again lol

just took out one of ram sticks and set to default voltage and still doing it so probably not that. temperatures are fine hmmm

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
interesting hmmm just really annoying. I'm runnin 1920x1200 dell 2407. vcard gpu runnin between low-high 50s in the green so hmmm.

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
If it keeps up may go to the duo 2's heard they run alot cooler but I really really hate to buy new cpu/board run the asus p5n32-sli deluxe and would hate for it to still do it or somethin crazy lol. that would suck 8( any suggestions/comments would be great

edit: at idle temps are...

cpu 41c
mb 30c
hd 29c
vcard gpu 52c

under load mb stays same, vcard goes up a lil and processor hits up to 55c.

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
ya true cause ive seen my do it at only like 44c before, hell im to the point of wondering if its a virus or somethin lol.. so wierd. wish I had extra parts to try random things like video card swappin etc. you could be right maybe not processor not sure 8(. was also wondering if psu is sufficient but surely it is with only one vcard/HD. argggg just hate to dump even more money into it when could be somethin else.

edit: u know come to think of it the first time I had it happen was when I was watchin a new video I dl'd and think I updated like my xvid codec but games have nothing to do with that so hmmm I may lose all my media drivers etc.

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
could it be the new video/audio codecs I put on it maybe.

edit: ah good to hear youve tried formatting cause I considered that...

oh but if u wiped HD u didnt have new codecs etc. hmmm geez.

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I can't say it couldnt be monitor because it has only started doing it since my new bigger monitor but ya maybe gfx card... ive tried new drivers and then back to stock cd ones and didnt help 8( guess we can just keep comparing notes lol 8(

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
running game window mode and not as currently active window with temps low see if itll stay running... not sure if this proves anythin but least ill know if it runs with temps down? i guess... lol just out of things to do atm 8(

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
What tbe OP is experiencing & probably tacos, is either temp running too high on gfx cards( you guys wouldnt be watching pron by any chance would you????? :) ) or an issue with video card memory, do you guys get this playing gfx intensive games like FEAR/oblivion?

I would suggest running ATITool( works for nvidia too ) and leave the spinning 3d cube test running for an hour, if that passes use VLC instead of windows media player( which is crap anyway ).

Tacos if you get that 24@ youll need VLC anyway cos DVDs look truely terrible( lego blocks ), VLC allows you to apply AA n stuff and the image is fantastic

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
also sometimes it does it and i just restart it instantly itll do it in the bios/loading screen too glitchy kinda carry over not jsut in windows if that makes sense.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Ditch the WiMP. Remove all of the other codec packs, they can easily screw up what you are doing.

My setup

programs:
WMP11
VLC Player
Media Player Classic

codecs:
Real Alternative
Divx 6.2

This wont cause any conflicts and will play all codecs. Try this and see if it gets better.

Check your monitor cable. Ive heard that VGA can get interference and be disrupted. Try new monitor cables.

It could be your PSU, but not likely. Your CPU temps are high, try downclocking the CPU to lower the temps. See if it still happens then?

The mission here is isolation

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Ever since I built this PC, WMP is a piece of crap. If I try to use it while Folding@Home is running it will reboot the PC (I have the automatically reboot on errors turned OFF). Or it runs crappy till the point the PC needs to be rebooted. Other media players work fine, but I don't like them as much.

Maybe WMP doesn't like C2D's or something.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
also sometimes it does it and i just restart it instantly itll do it in the bios/loading screen too glitchy kinda carry over not jsut in windows if that makes sense.
its your gfx card either overheating or the mem in it is fubar, run that ati tool and the artifact tester

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
This kind of resembles a problem that I was having with my 3rd puter. The fan died in the psu, at that time my system was downstairs with his and I could smell overheated electronics. My 3rd puter was acting just like what you describe. I followed the smell to his psu replaced the fan in the psu and it worked good after that. Wait there is more to this. There is a protection in nvidias video card's bios for heat and overvolts protection. If the vcard is too hot or not getting proper volts the vcard will clock the volts down to the next lower to save the vcard from damage. Disable all power saving features, if helps, flash the video cards bios, change the volts reduction to the higher default I had 3 nvidias video cards that I flashed just for this reason. The volt reduction caused similar problems as you describe.

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
checked cabled and unplugged my ps2 that i also had plugged to my dell 2407 monitor and thought was goin ok ran quake for quite awahile then asherons call... but i switched from games to windows few times and once when i switched to game it freaked out for sec then was ok. also did it earlier when i cntrl alt del to check processes... so both times did it when refreshing things? hmmm ill keep trying rest of things suggested.

btw cant find where to disable that power saving stuff it in nvidia controls or actual computer bios sorry if dumb question hehe.

edit: and if that works whats how to flash vcard? errr sorry for being a noob.

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
no wonder couldnt find it... buddy says his is under manage 3d settings in nvidia control panel but i dont have it on my list at all... wierd? maybe diff software/drivers or hmmm

heres settings/defaults... if matters

anisotropc filtering - application-controlled
anisotropic mip filter optimization - off
anisotropic sample optimization - on
antialiasing settings - application controlled
conformant texture clamp - use hardware
extension limit - off
force minimaps - none
gama correct antialiasing - off
hardware acceleration - muliple display performance mode
negative LOD bias - allow
texture filtering - quality
transparecy antialiasing - off
trilinear optimization - on
triple buffering - off
vertical sync - use the 3d application setting

vcard is asus 7900 gt top 256 meg ( one that comes overclocked i believe stock prolly not a good thing lol )

dunno if that info helps but figured u may see somethin needs changed. thanks

edit: driver versions says uhhh..

10/22/2006

that may be my stock drivers cause i tried new ones then went back when still did it... but maybe it would give more options? cant remem but ya anyhow rant off hehe.

friend of mine wonders if could be monitor ... dell 2407 ws.. but i got it months ago and it ran fine for quite awahile. but he says hes read probs with it but bleh i dunno anymore 8(

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
I really think that you're having a gfx problem, BUT it could be the PSU. Sorry if this is old info, but check your fan on the PSU to make sure its working and SMELL it.
In lieu of that, the GFX is the next logical solution to check in my tech breakdown.
If all else fails, you can reload XP, drivers, etc and see what happens. God, that sucks! I just had to do it yesterday because of all the crap that the interjoke bleeds into windows. Great job, Microsoft!
Sorry, I didnt mean to hijack your thread... now all you are going to get is flamers on Microsoft. :?

BTW: about WMP 11, why cant I get streaming video anymore????????

vultureyo

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
ya i checked psu fan its going. what do you all think about monitor? not possible or? will keep trying things... soon the nxt step will be format even though i hate to lol.

edit: ya forgot tacos has formatted already... and wierd about the 64 things.