Sign in with
Your question

simple kentsfield v K10 question

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2007 9:15:31 PM

I'll be waiting for Q6600 to drop to $266 most likely before i end up buying a new rig, so my question is, would it be wise around the time this price point comes to wait and see what K10 Desktop offers performance-wise? Or do you all think i'd be fine with a nice cheap $266 quad-core? Because i assume that when AMD takes back the performance crown, their quad-cores (assuming they beat out kentsfield) are going to go back up to $600 for anything decently better than intel's most likely cheaper offerings at the time.
April 15, 2007 9:21:10 PM

at the time you decide to buy, yes it would be wise to compare intel/amd again, to determine best product/price...
Either way, a quad core 6600 would be twice what I have now, and sufficient for anything I see myself doing in the next few years...
April 15, 2007 9:22:41 PM

Quote:
I'll be waiting for Q6600 to drop to $266 most likely before i end up buying a new rig, so my question is, would it be wise around the time this price point comes to wait and see what K10 Desktop offers performance-wise? Or do you all think i'd be fine with a nice cheap $266 quad-core? Because i assume that when AMD takes back the performance crown, their quad-cores (assuming they beat out kentsfield) are going to go back up to $600 for anything decently better than intel's most likely cheaper offerings at the time.
I would wait, but i doubt AMD's Quad will be priced as cheaply as Intel's Quad. :?
Related resources
April 15, 2007 9:23:31 PM

It's unlikely for AMD to get the fully featured performance crown because Intel will still be able to ramp clock speeds and stay competitive with the K10 quads, so IMO, the prices of the new K10 chips will have to stay around those of the equally performing Intel ones and the X4 1900 might well be around the $260 of the Q6600.
April 16, 2007 4:00:56 AM

:twisted: wow your a mind reader or a price predictor! can you tell me the price of intel stock next month since your can predict the price of a q6600 at $266 :evil: 

"i assume that when AMD takes back the performance crown" - and this prediction is based on info from amd?

Quote:

with all these predictions it be wise to predict lotto then when u win you can buy all the computers you need!
April 16, 2007 11:42:10 AM

Quote:
:twisted: wow your a mind reader or a price predictor! can you tell me the price of intel stock next month since your can predict the price of a q6600 at $266 :evil: 

"i assume that when AMD takes back the performance crown" - and this prediction is based on info from amd?

with all these predictions it be wise to predict lotto then when u win you can buy all the computers you need!

The rumours of the Q6600 going to $266 are all over the net. No need to be such a rude prick.
April 16, 2007 2:20:58 PM

K10 will be faster but won't be released for three months; but C2Q is available now. You didn't say what your doing with your system either, C2Q is overkill for most purposes.
April 16, 2007 2:37:13 PM

Quote:
K10 will be faster but won't be released for three months

Link?
April 16, 2007 3:46:33 PM

Quote:

Link?

Word.
April 16, 2007 3:50:27 PM

utterance.
April 16, 2007 4:03:45 PM

Adverb
April 16, 2007 4:23:21 PM

i think it will all be based on preferences, as usual wait for benchmarks to surface and then buy the best bang for your buck option
April 16, 2007 4:47:29 PM

Quote:
K10 will be faster but won't be released for three months; but C2Q is available now.

AMD itself has recently stated that server versions of K10 will be launched in Q3 while desktop versions won't be out until Q4. Therefore desktop K10s are at least 6 months away.

http://www.cpilive.net/v3/inside.aspx?scr=n&NID=1320
April 16, 2007 8:05:35 PM

Quote:

Link?

Considering the poster wants a quad core, Barcelona Q3 or Agena Q4 fits the bill. According to AMD K10 Barcelona has 80% more FPU performance than the K8 Opteron per core. I don't have the link handy for the release information but it is on the current AMD roadmap.
April 16, 2007 8:07:46 PM

Quote:

Link?

Considering the poster wants a quad core, Barcelona Q3 or Agena Q4 fits the bill. According to AMD K10 Barcelona has 80% more FPU performance than the K8 Opteron per core. I don't have the link handy for the release information but it is on the current AMD roadmap.

But that's what AMD says and it's "marketing talk". Corporations can always talk up their product before it is released as the public has no knowledge of what to actually expect - look at Peter Molyneaux's Fable. He said there was going to be many many features that didn't actually make the final game.

What a company says isn't always true.
April 16, 2007 8:08:43 PM

Quote:

Link?

Let's go over that again...

Quote:
According to AMD

Ah-ha, there's the key point. And I'll bet that's for a certain few hand-picked benchmarks, not an overall performance average.
April 16, 2007 8:17:16 PM

Don't freak out the R600 is susposed to be launched on an AgenaFX demo rig the 23rd .. so you will know.

Here's the desktop roadmap:

April 16, 2007 10:43:12 PM

Quote:

Link?

Let's go over that again...

Quote:
According to AMD

Ah-ha, there's the key point. And I'll bet that's for a certain few hand-picked benchmarks, not an overall performance average.

and of course, NO LINK :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
!