IE Acting Funny

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
When I try to use alt codes in Internet Explorer, it ends up going 'back' one page, like hitting the green 'back' arrow in the upper left-hand corner under 'file'. I just reinstalled WinXP with all the updates, but I can't remember if IE7 was part of the deal. Also, I use a mini-keyboard so I have to press the 'fn' (function) button as well as the 'alt' button to use the 'numerical keypad' for alt codes. If anyone knows about this problem and how to fix it please let me know here.

Thanks,
PDH-NicFury

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
wait, see if i get this right? you hit alt + left arrow and it goes back one page, and you hit alt + right arrow and it goes forward?

that's what it's supposed to do, backspace key will also take you back one page, and f4 will take you to the address bar on the top

can you explain a bit more?

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Look, dude, read the post again... I can't explain it any better or further. :evil: I don't want to ask for help, then turn around and be an @$$#01&... but damn, look at the part about the 'fn' (function) key AND the 'alt' key at the same time, like doing ctrl/alt/del; I'm using a mini-keyboard, and the 'fn' key allows me to use the 'numerical keypad' (m=0, j=1, k=2, etc.). I didn't have this problem with my last pc rig, but it's giving me fits now.

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
WTF, BATMAN :!: :evil: DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE LAST SENTENCE OF MY THIRD POST!?

I THINK I WON A TOMSHARDWARE CONTEST AND DIDN'T KNOW IT... I GET "THE IDIOT OF THE DAY" FOR A WHOLE YEAR! EVERY DAY I GET A NEW AND EXCITING (READ: RETARDED) RESPONSE TO A PROBLEM I THINK IS PRETTY CLEAR AND STRAIGHT FORWARD. MAYBE I SHOULD POST IT IN JAPANESE, HUNGARIAN AND RUSSIAN; SINCE THEY'RE THE HARDEST LANGUAGES TO LEARN MAYBE THEY'LL PAY MORE ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY'RE READING!

I GOT AN IDEA, WHY DON'T I GET A MAXIPAD AND SLAP IT ON YOUR FOREHEAD TO STOP THE BLEEDING! I THINK IT'S THE WRONG TIME OF THE MONTH FOR YOU TO HAVE THAT PROBLEM! IF I WANTED TO USE A STANDARD KEYBOARD I WOULDN'T HAVE POSTED THIS PROBLEM! I USE A MINI KEYBOARD BECAUSE IT SAVES ME SPACE SINCE I ALSO USE A SPEEDPAD, HENCE NO STANDARD KEYBOARD AND NO NUMERICAL KEYPAD!

I WAS TOLD THE PROBLEM MY WOULD-BE HELP IS HAVING MAY BE THAT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT AN 'ALT CODE' ('ALT CHARACTER') IS. IT'S 'HALT' WITHOUT AN 'H'! HA HA HA!! OKAY, IT'S A SPECIAL CHARACTER LIKE THIS: ö OR THIS: Ö OR THIS: ♥ AS IN "NO ♥ FOR YOU!"

YOU KNOW, I SAW IN SOMEONES SIGNATURE THE QUOTE: "THERE ARE ONLY TWO THINGS I KNOW ARE INFINITE... THE UNIVERSE AND HUMAN STUPIDITY, AND I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE FORMER." -ALBERT EINSTEIN. IT'S OKAY, AL... AT LEAST YOU'RE DEAD AND NO LONGER HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE LATTER.

PDH-NICFURY

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
wow.. you're a jerk, why would anyone want to help you now?

so he doesn't understand your question... lay off

take that maxipad and slap it on yourself till your rag is over... christ I've never PMS'd that bad...

WTF, BATMAN :!: :evil: DID YOU BOTHER TO READ THE LAST SENTENCE OF MY THIRD POST!?

I THINK I WON A TOMSHARDWARE CONTEST AND DIDN'T KNOW IT... I GET "THE IDIOT OF THE DAY" FOR A WHOLE YEAR! EVERY DAY I GET A NEW AND EXCITING (READ: RETARDED) RESPONSE TO A PROBLEM I THINK IS PRETTY CLEAR AND STRAIGHT FORWARD. MAYBE I SHOULD POST IT IN JAPANESE, HUNGARIAN AND RUSSIAN; SINCE THEY'RE THE HARDEST LANGUAGES TO LEARN MAYBE THEY'LL PAY MORE ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY'RE READING!

I GOT AN IDEA, WHY DON'T I GET A MAXIPAD AND SLAP IT ON YOUR FOREHEAD TO STOP THE BLEEDING! I THINK IT'S THE WRONG TIME OF THE MONTH FOR YOU TO HAVE THAT PROBLEM! IF I WANTED TO USE A STANDARD KEYBOARD I WOULDN'T HAVE POSTED THIS PROBLEM! I USE A MINI KEYBOARD BECAUSE IT SAVES ME SPACE SINCE I ALSO USE A SPEEDPAD, HENCE NO STANDARD KEYBOARD AND NO NUMERICAL KEYPAD!

I WAS TOLD THE PROBLEM MY WOULD-BE HELP IS HAVING MAY BE THAT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT AN 'ALT CODE' ('ALT CHARACTER') IS. IT'S 'HALT' WITHOUT AN 'H'! HA HA HA!! OKAY, IT'S A SPECIAL CHARACTER LIKE THIS: ö OR THIS: Ö OR THIS: ♥ AS IN "NO ♥ FOR YOU!"

YOU KNOW, I SAW IN SOMEONES SIGNATURE THE QUOTE: "THERE ARE ONLY TWO THINGS I KNOW ARE INFINITE... THE UNIVERSE AND HUMAN STUPIDITY, AND I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE FORMER." -ALBERT EINSTEIN. IT'S OKAY, AL... AT LEAST YOU'RE DEAD AND NO LONGER HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THE LATTER.

PDH-NICFURY

B0007LBMZ4.01-A9B09ZK9BZJQ6._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

You know what? Screw you.

How dare you come in here and spout off endless instults to people trying to help you. You didn't exactly make an effort to clarify your issue... so the rest of us have to ask questions since you left so much unknown. So take your mini keyboard and shove it up your no-so-mini ass.

If you want help in the future, you might just try being a little more concilatory. However, you certainly won't be getting any help from me.

Pissant.

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Let me reply to the last three people to post, in order of third to first...

Zoron:I don't know what was left 'unknown', I posted the problem and again with what clarification I could (not that it needed any). How you and FatTony can't understand it is beyond me. Your only "clarifying" question was, "Have you had this problem before?"
?!?!? Honestly, did you read the last sentence in the "clarification" I posted before you posted?
I am the soul of conciliation, and even made a colossal effort to elucidate upon that which vexes me...
I'll give a donation to whatever charity helps you if you promise never to help me again.

Dumbass.

DaSickNinga: Yeah, that's it... this was all-l-l about typing. Uh-huh, my hunt-and-peck method is what made me post about alt codes in the software section. It keeps me from doing something as simple as pressing and holding the function and alternate buttons simultaneously and then pressing a 'numerical keypad' number to get an alternate character...
I don't think you're stupid, I think you've caught what Zoron and FatTony caught... but suicide is out of the question, legally and religiously forbidden.

I take that back, you're retarded. Feel free to do yourself in... sepuku, and all that...

CHEEZball: By 'nm', I'll assume (at the risk of making an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me') that you mean 'nevermind' because you read my tirade without looking at the topic and reading the posts.

What is amazing, and that which made me 'go off', is not so much that neither could give a solution... but that neither read what I posted. It is the only explanation. It is clear and straight forward, rather concise. Did I say anything about pressing the alt button and clicking the 'back' arrow? No. If you don't know how to bring up alt codes (characters), why would you post anything, because you obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

Zoron's classic "Did this happen before or is this something new" is just thought provoking after I just posted that I didn't have this problem with my last computer. And "(Getting) A full-sized keyboard or a numeric keypad" isn't a solution, its bypassing it; mini keyboards have a built-in numerical keypad you activate by pressing the 'function' key. Using the function key with the alt key and then a number or number sequence with the numerical keypad produces a special character, and cannot be done with the standard numbers found in the 1-0 row. It worked just fine with my last computer, using a mini keyboard, hence my asking if anyone has a solution to the above combination performing a 'back page' or going to another address (depending on what combination I use).

To clarify something else, I'm not a 'jerk', I'm a D**K.

Seriously, I'm a nice guy, an easy fellow, not unlike Rex Harrison from the movie "My Fair Lady". (He'd go apeshit if he saw what the internet and chat rooms/ forums have done to the English language.) That doesn't mean I won't go postal over blatant stupidity, and I'll be damned if I'll offer an apology.

PDH-NicFury

Thank you, and have a nice day.

I didn't ask for an apology... as I stated, you can go screw yourself.

Enjoy your time here while you can... your ass will be banned long before anyone offers you any help around here. You had your chance and you decided being a flaming idiot was more important to you than finding a solution to your problem.

Yeah, you mentioned you didn't have this problem with your last PC... but what your retarded mind left out is what has changed since your last PC. You didn't say you were using a mini keyboard then... nor did you state what version of Windows or what version of IE you were using. If you want help, give complete information. Don't blame us for trying to help your lame ass without it.

Get a fucking keyboard and quit wasting time with the mini keyboard. That's your solution. Don't like it? Too bad. Google it.

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
You're so cool, dude, and I'm a jackass. I quit, you win.

...Wait, who put this dweeb in charge? Here's an idea, why don't you go put some pictures on another topic, of which you didn't read, and act like you see the whole issue.

Better yet, you can tell me if you know the solution to the problem I set forth, and so help me I'll kill a stray ant if you tell me that I need to load the right drivers for my mini keyboard to work.

Yeah, I'm a dick, but it's SOOO freakin' hard to read and use common sense. Heaven help me if someone comes along with a technical answer...

PDH-NicFury

As for your avatar, DaSickNinja, you should put a foot in place of the fist... jackass.

Edit: Zoron, you're insane. I just posted I REINSTALLED WinXP before your first (great) attempt at advice, and all the Windows Updates. Other than that, what the hell else do you need, a copy of my birth certificate and drivers license, maybe I'll throw in a credit card number for you as well. Now you say you read it, were you using drugs and just didn't pay attention? Maybe you don't like reading and just skipped every third word, I don't know, much less care.

If anyone else wants to READ IT AND TRY TO GIVE AN INTELLIGENT RESPONSE, I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO READ YOUR SOLUTION.

That is all.

No, wait, should I put in all my hardware specs? Tell everyone what software programs I use? FYI its a PS/2 connected keyboard, don't forget that important bit of info!

The plain and simple truth is YOU DON'T NEED ALL THAT. Why would I even bring up that I used a standard keyboard with my last computer, I wouldn't need to use the 'function' key with it. I use a mini keyboard because I use a speedpad for gaming, and with the mouse on my right i don't have a lot of room on my desk... hence the mini keyboard (deja vu? :? ).

I have the solution to this whole mess... I WILL google it. I won't have to deal with the Edisons and Einsteins who can't even read but feel inclined to give advice instead of answers.

Love, peace, and hair grease... Zoron, you're a true idiot savant.

PDH-NicFury

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I swear, this is a forum, I HAVE TO SPELL THIS SHIT OUT AND THEY STILL DON'T GET IT!!!

Huh... think I just figured why someone made alcohol.

You're the one coming here to ask for help, and we're the idiots?

Since you're so intellectually superior to the rest of us, you should have had the solution before you even asked the question.

Dealing with smug idiots like yourself makes me wonder why I got into the IT business.

And for the record, we would have been more than willing to help you... but your idiocy took care of that. You want help in the future? Try not biting the hand attempting to feed you. That's the only advice you'll get from me.

Consider yourself ignored. I put up with enough BS from idiots like yourself that think you know everything but still have the balls to sit there and ask for help. I don't need it here.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
wow yeah man...what are you suffereing from exactly? erectile difficulties? premature ejaculation? bruised childhood with your daddy?

don't post here anymore, you've already been reported

Naw man, thats too strong for us. That stuff has gotta be worse than a whole meth lab, the amount of Ganja, Bob Marley and the entire rastafari people have smoked and all the coke that Tony Montana did in Scarface combined.... 8O