Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Everyone seems to be wondering whether AMD will be able to survive this year, being in the rather special financial situation they got themselves in, but I was wondering, what if they don't?

What's the worst that can happen?

Surely their upcoming technology will not get lost, and some other company will take over, and intel will still have to deal with competition right?

Or is it also possible that intel acquires AMD?
That would mean an even bigger intel, with even less competition.
Maybe we should start raising money for AMD...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Everyone seems to be wondering whether AMD will be able to survive this year, being in the rather special financial situation they got themselves in, but I was wondering, what if they don't?

Surely their upcoming technology will not get lost, and some other company will take over, and intel will still have to deal with competition right?

One more of these threads causes every consumers head to explode and they have no one to sell to.

Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Sorry, I wasn't aware I was being that unoriginal.

One of the reasons I ask, is that I just bought an AM2 mainboard, and I am kinda wondering what a worst case scenario may mean for the supposed "excellent" upgrade path for AM2.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Sorry, I wasn't aware I was being that unoriginal.

One of the reasons I ask, is that I just bought an AM2 mainboard, and I am kinda wondering what a worst case scenario may mean for the supposed "excellent" upgrade path for AM2.
The 'worst' scenario of an AM2 board is a K10 quad core upgrade. And, I don't think any thing terrible will happen to AMD this year, or next year or the year after; it's just people spreading panic speculating on or misinterpreting financial data... if I'm not wrong, these rumors date way back in the release of the first K7 Athlons :wink: .

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Actually worst case scenario is that K10 quad is not droppable into AM2 (look what happened with Core 2 - some boards based on certain chipsets were compatible, some were not). 99% is that it will be dropped in as that is all the indications we see, but who knows for sure? Just playing a little devil's advocate. :lol:

i don't really think there is a competitor for intel other than amd. if there was one, they certainly would have shown themselves. no, the halls of newegg are dominate by AMD cpu's, Intel cpu's, and Other cpu's. if there was a third party that big, it would show. but there really isn't. amd keeps intel being fair. in my opinion, amd is the better company, focused more on their product than their market share.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
amd is the better company, focused more on their product than their market share.

you realize AMD's whole strategy right now is to gain and/or maintain market share. thus the price cuts. they care just as much.

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The only possible good that could come of AMD going under would be watching BaronMatrix throw a conniption fit

That would be, hands down, the funniest thing we have seen from him yet....

that and that PH D goofball. it'd be hilarious reading his reasons as to why AMD bit the dust.

jackxlj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...Intel buys AMD and demands the world bow down and name them dictator of the world or they will take away all the worlds CPUs!!!!..err cept vias...and IBMS....errr..doesnt sun make one as well?..errr nm ill go back to playing with my daughters....

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
i don't really think there is a competitor for intel other than amd. if there was one, they certainly would have shown themselves. no, the halls of newegg are dominate by AMD cpu's, Intel cpu's, and Other cpu's. if there was a third party that big, it would show. but there really isn't. amd keeps intel being fair. in my opinion, amd is the better company, focused more on their product than their market share.

Grammar 101:

1. Sentences begin with a capitol.

2. You get #2, once you've memorized #1.

xcetera

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Worst case scenario for AMD? Morgan Stanley trades its 2.5 billion in debt for equity in the company and takes over and AMD ceases to exist in its current form and name.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Worst case scenario for AMD.....and mankind. All AMD owners start acting like Baron Matrix and Sharikaboobob. :cry: :cry:

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Worst case scenario for AMD? Morgan Stanley trades its 2.5 billion in debt for equity in the company and takes over and AMD ceases to exist in its current form and name.

well, anything is possible - but it would retain the amd name and be resold later - thats the most value.

now if ibm buys amd they could just fold it into ibm

Worst case scenario for AMD? It continues as is. :lol:

amd is always #2 (hehe)

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Worst case scenario for AMD? It continues as is. :lol:

amd is always #2 (hehe)

Teetering on the edge of oblivion, the subject of endless humiliation, forced to sell way below cost, infinitely postponing its launches... sounds like chip hell to me! :lol:

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
it could be woarse - they could be forced to use me as there PR dude!

new amd ad campaign:

AMD we have ideas not just chips! AMD we always #2 which is better then #3!~

AMD our chip prices fall faster then our stock! Get m while you can!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
new amd ad campaign:

I think it's too late for PR, even though those slogans would definitely have been effective. News just broke that AMD has already gone ahead and diversified. Into railroads! Here is Hector's first scheduled departure!

:lol:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
new amd ad campaign:

I think it's too late for PR, even though those slogans would definitely have been effective. News just broke that AMD has already gone ahead and diversified. Into railroads! Here is Hector's first scheduled departure!

:lol:

Isnt that the Hogwarts Express? Is that how Hectors angling to undo the damage....magic?

Insane_Maniac

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I would have to say the worst case scenario is that AMD goes under, the sell off their licensing rights, fabs, technology and departments to a company like Nvidia or IBM.

Intel would not touch AMD because they could be considered a conflict of interest from both a political and business standpoint. If Intel rises as the last company in the war, another company like Nvidia or IBM would chomp up AMD and will keep producing the architecture of that AMD brought into the world. Competition = Healthy all around and good for the consumer in the end. Otherwise we would have price gouges and being pay out the wazoo for a processor that is like the equivalent of a pentium 2. Aka If it werent for Intel might rest on their laurels and not bother with trying to push for better, faster, and more powerful CPU's. When there is no competition, why bother with trying to make something better when you sure as have nothing but yourself to compete with?

Note: If Baron is reading this, I am not Pro Intel or Pro AMD.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Intel would not touch AMD because they could be considered a conflict of interest from both a political and business standpoint. If Intel rises as the last company in the war, another company like Nvidia or IBM would chomp up AMD and will keep producing the architecture of that AMD brought into the world.
Just imagine if they did, and could combine AMD chip's best features with Intel chips's best features? Now, that would be a sweeeet CPU. Probably as close to perfection as they'll ever get.****smacks self in head.....quit daydreaming**** :oops: :D

SSS_DDK

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Intel would not touch AMD because they could be considered a conflict of interest from both a political and business standpoint. If Intel rises as the last company in the war, another company like Nvidia or IBM would chomp up AMD and will keep producing the architecture of that AMD brought into the world.
Just imagine if they did, and could combine AMD chip's best features with Intel chips's best features? Now, that would be a sweeeet CPU. Probably as close to perfection as they'll ever get.****smacks self in head.....quit daydreaming**** :oops: :D
I don't think that you need to acquire a company to get their technology.... Most CPU architecture enhancements are known in advance through conferences, patents, journals , etc... Of course, how you implement it and whether reality corresponds, once implemented, to the theoretical benefits is another issue. Still, i don't see Intel acquiring AMD since it creates overlapping departments.