diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
yeah imho raxco perfect disk is the best one to use, can manage everything with it even including improving boot times etc as well as all the regular defrag tools etc etc

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I have used them all, tested them all, O&O is the best one of them all. its faster and leaves you better defraged also. plus where the perfect disk and diskkeeper nag about not having enough space to defrag O&O just come right through with the defrag.

stop wasting your time and get O&O after testing all 3 I will never go back to diskkeeper or perfect disk, they can't hold a candle next to O&O.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
ok looks good also, I'll give it a go as soon as I get new computer. I'm currently still stuck on a 6-year old pentium3-800 running windows98 lol. My 'new' computer f*****d up on me after just 2 days of normal use, so I'm up for a new computer on warranty. I'll definitely be looking to get an Intel C2D. However in the 2 days that I was able to use my 1 year old dual core athlon, I was able to give O&O free version a go and it did ok (before computer started rebooting itself for no reason lol)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
as I said the O&O free version is like 2 or 3 years old and not good.

the freeware ones will not do as good of a job as O&O, having a freeware site with bunch of free defrags I advise you to use the retail version of O&O.

otherwise don't bother and just use the windows defrag, same difference ;)

erawd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
In my opinion nothing to beat the new edition of Diskeeper as far as automatic defrag goes. once you set it to defrag in the background it really does the 'real time defrag on the fly job' great without interfering with other functions. My concern of system resources getting hogged up also laid to rest as the defragger adjusts to the operations.

erawd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
I am talking about the Invisitasking facility which one might think draws resources away, but wonderfully suspends itself as and when required. I find the realtime on the fly defrag of files to be real smooth, and prefer it to scheduling a defrag to run at a particular time. All this with the new Diskeeper has been a really good experience for me esp compared my experience of PerfectDisk which gave me some nasty problems.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
oh I see, you have never tried O&O, once you do you will laugh at Perferctdisk and Diskeeper, those apps are a joke IMO ;) they can't even defrag your HDD right if you don't have more then 15% free space.

DiskTrix

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Since we make this - I'm putting in a plug for UltimateDefrag.

Before you shoot me down... I would like to say that when we created this product we sat down and "truly" nutted out the factors that improve hard drive performance.

It's not just defragging files - in fact this only contributes about 30% to the performance improvement that is achievable from a defrag. The other 70% comes from other factors such as placing frequently used files to the fast tracks of your hard drive and maximizing seek confinement.

A hard drive is capable of performing 400% of the "average" quoted performance by drive manufacturers. When you take the correct approach to reorganizing your drive - you can achieve that 400%.

We have a comprehensive manual that discusses the theory behind UltimateDefrag. you can check it all out and try it free at www.disktrix.com.

Old versions of Nortons did a real good job, Newer versions under XP do not do as well as the older versions. Have not tried the previously listed programs.

The was an artical in MaximumPC on effectiveness of Auslogics, Diskeeper 2008, and PerfectDisk 2008 Vs Windows Defrag.

NOTE: THIS WAS UNDER VISTA, but may have some relevance to XP.

Bottem Line " Don't Waste Your Money or Time! You shouldn't break the bank for neglible performance gains" Quote from MaxiumPC June 2008.

bushmastertd

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

where exactly is this fast track you speak of?

He is using the term "Fast Track" in reference to the outer tracks on a disk platter. Angular velocity is highest on the outer tracks and decreaces as you move toward the center. He is correct about placing the most frequently used files on the outer tracks will improve performance.

For single Large HHDs
Creating an optimum size "C" drive for operating system and programs and a small partition (about 8 Gigs D-drive ) For placing the swap file ONLY, Then E drive for all your files.

Or Better yet, small primary HHD for operating system, Large second HHD particianed D (small 8 Gigs for swap file) and E for your files.

rezolution

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
I use Diskeeper 2008 Pro on both my personal computers. It's the best defragmenter I've used, and I've tried all the big ones. It's fast yet does a thorough job with it's background defrag strategy using barely any resources. The latest edition can often defrag even with less than 5% free space!