Need help fast! Which 1950 pro card?

coke

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I going tomorrow to get and card and I'm no sure which one to go for!
Here are the options:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-064-PC&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=404

Or should I spend the extra and go for the 512mb version, here there are 2 the 1st a Sapphire has slower clock speeds but the 2nd is HIS and I have heard there have been problems with cards in the past:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-141-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=404
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-070-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=404

So which should I go for is it worth spending the extra £20 or so pounds for the 512mb and finally do all of these cards require a 6 pin power connection and therefore will this psu be alright to run them? as I not sure that it has the right connector?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-016-OK

Like I say I going to buy tomorrow so need some help pretty soon...

coke

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Anyone? I could really do with some help here! :cry:
Edit: thanks for the reply so you are saying I should go for the 256mb version . And am I right in thinking that most card actually come with an adapter to convert the normal 4 pin to the 6 pin connection? What about the PSU, is there enough power there?

coke

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Anyone else, I going in like an hour to go and purchase and I could really do with a bit more advice!!!

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I would go with the 256MB version of the card, although I probably posted this too late. Heh, good luck with your new card.

coke

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
No not too late, yeah I am being too lean more towards the 256mb version in some ways just because I am on a tight budget...

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I own the HIS 512mb card, but in AGP format, not that it matters. They have now released the "V2" (version 2), of this card to combat the overheating problems of the first cards. The core clock and memory speeds were reduced slightly to make it more stable.

If you search for the AGP version you can read my review. I bought a 550W PSU and it works fine. It also works fine with my old 400W PSU, so there you go.

I got my first one sent back and the second card performs fine, although with my P4 3GHZ it does struggle in busy scenes in C&C for example.

Go buy it, its a good card.

Cheers

M

(Oh as a footnote, it does matter about memory size if you want to play Quake 4 in ultra quality; as it requires 512mb texture memory. A silly point, but it shows that it does matter!)

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Are you sure that PSU is gonna be stable enough though. Just cause it has 550 watts doesnt mean it provides a clean supply like some of the more costly and known brands.

The x1950 pro require about 28-30 amps on the +12V rail, so i suggest you check out what that has and if it has lower, then go for another psu.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Well, I know mines working because I have been using it for the last month without a problem.

I know people go on and on and on about 12v rails and all that, but I couldnt be arsed with it and just bought a 20 quid 550W PSU and it works absolutely fine.

I also ran it overnight with a 400W PSU and that was fine too.

I have 2 HDDS 2 Opticals in there as well.

It will work for some and not for others, but thats what receipts are for folks!

Live a little....risk it!

M

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i completely agree, but yeah as you said it is a risk.

i for one, as you can see im sig, am running all that with a 380 watt psu, but who knows when my pc will start burning and set my house on fire :roll: :lol:

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, fair play, I think its all down to the luck of the draw to be honest!

As long as you keep the receipt for your hardware and dont trek miles to get it, just buy a substantial PSU and try it out.

Otherwise youll just never get to play anything or enjoy it lol.

My entire experience (documented on here), from pressing the purchase button for the card and getting it to work too over 3 weeks.

If id bought it from a shop, it would have been 2 days...but the only one near me that had it was PC world and id rather burn my own mother.

M

coke

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I OcUK only just down the road from me so I just gonna go for their own 500w psu and if it goes wrong they can deal with me in person!

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
the only one near me that had it was PC world and id rather burn my own mother.

haha i live near a PC world aswell and i know how you feel :lol: :lol:

they rip you off big time! Notice how they always post some good numbers like 2gigs of ram, 500 gb hdd (but dont mention that its the lowest quality around) and then they say stuff like....and an x1300 to power through all your 3d games and applications (yeah sure..).
an example: CLICK THIS LINK

£630 for that hunk of junk :roll:

funniest one yet was, a bundle that was similar to that and they were giving away rainbow six vegas with it :lol: :lol:. Never though a x1300 was good enough to run that game at acceptable framerates.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Mmm, nice find! PC world are complete gash; but they do make me laugh.

Im toying with the idea of OCing my P4 3ghz...ive never done it before, had a look at the BIOS and its all there to be had, so what speed you reckon I could hit with stock cooling? I was thinking 3.4ghz..

M

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Just FYI, I have the ASUS x1950Pro 256. ASUS recommends 36 Amps for 2 of them in crossfire, so I would bet a single card wouldn't use more the 20 Amps.

Anyway, I have min on the 450 Watt FSP PSU in my sig. This PSU is $50 at newegg right now and has 36 amps on the 12 volt rails.

randomizer

Champion
i completely agree, but yeah as you said it is a risk.

i for one, as you can see im sig, am running all that with a 380 watt psu, but who knows when my pc will start burning and set my house on fire :roll: :lol:
It may have a decent 12V amperage tho. I have a 430W that is dying under my x1950 pro. It only has 18A on the 12V rail.

People here seem confused as to how much power this thing uses. An 8800gtx uses about 12A, so how can the x1950 pro use more? It only uses about 6A max. The 30A for single and 36A for CF is for total system power requirements. I only need about 22A to run my system, but I'm running it on 18A coz I havent got a new psu yet, and my current psu is suffering, as is my system stability. I recommend the OP get a new psu at some stage, as your current one may not supply enough power. If you get black screens, BSODs or reboots, then you are underpowered. If you get blue smoke and a faint puff (often with sparks) and your pc turns off, get out those receipts.

EDIT: TSIMonster's psu is a decent one that is fairly inexpensive, it would sufficiently power your system. If it was available in Aus, I would get it myself.