Why second HD is Disk 0?

I've got Win XP (home) on this computer.
My OS is on an 80GB HD set as master on the primary motherboard controller.
I've also got a 200GB storage drive running off an add-on controller.
(DVD & burner on motherboard secondary controller)
In Win XP, disk management the 200GB is listed as Disk 0
and the 80GB as Disk 1
I would like to change the 80GB to Disk 0

Tod, please learn the difference between multiposting (what you did) and
cross-posting (what you should have done). Now you are going to collect

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've got Win XP (home) on this computer.
> My OS is on an 80GB HD set as master on the primary motherboard
controller.
> I've also got a 200GB storage drive running off an add-on controller.
> (DVD & burner on motherboard secondary controller)
> In Win XP, disk management the 200GB is listed as Disk 0
> and the 80GB as Disk 1
> I would like to change the 80GB to Disk 0

Well, then you'll have to put the 80 Gb HDD on the controller as master and
put the 200 Gb HDD on the same cable as slave. You'll have to find out if
the BIOS on your MB supports booting from a SCSI device first.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've got Win XP (home) on this computer.
> My OS is on an 80GB HD set as master on the primary motherboard
> controller.
> I've also got a 200GB storage drive running off an add-on controller.
> (DVD & burner on motherboard secondary controller)
> In Win XP, disk management the 200GB is listed as Disk 0
> and the 80GB as Disk 1
> I would like to change the 80GB to Disk 0

shaun

Why do you even care...? What do you want to accomplish..?

"T. Waters" <@$%$%#^@jdjgkl.com> wrote in message
> Tod, please learn the difference between multiposting (what you did) and
> cross-posting (what you should have done). Now you are going to collect
>
> "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I've got Win XP (home) on this computer.
> > My OS is on an 80GB HD set as master on the primary motherboard
> controller.
> > I've also got a 200GB storage drive running off an add-on controller.
> > (DVD & burner on motherboard secondary controller)
> > In Win XP, disk management the 200GB is listed as Disk 0
> > and the 80GB as Disk 1
> > I would like to change the 80GB to Disk 0

bytor

In article <tsWdnaQKuuVxkPnfRVn-rA@comcast.com>, no_spam_me@comcast.net,
Tod says...

> I've got Win XP (home) on this computer.
> My OS is on an 80GB HD set as master on the primary motherboard controller.
> I've also got a 200GB storage drive running off an add-on controller.
> (DVD & burner on motherboard secondary controller)
> In Win XP, disk management the 200GB is listed as Disk 0
> and the 80GB as Disk 1
> I would like to change the 80GB to Disk 0

Let me guess? Hmmmmm? Wouldn't be a Sil 0680 ATA/133 Controller Card
would it?

Yes it is.

"ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
> In article <tsWdnaQKuuVxkPnfRVn-rA@comcast.com>, no_spam_me@comcast.net,
> Tod says...
>
>> I've got Win XP (home) on this computer.
>> My OS is on an 80GB HD set as master on the primary motherboard
>> controller.
>> I've also got a 200GB storage drive running off an add-on controller.
>> (DVD & burner on motherboard secondary controller)
>> In Win XP, disk management the 200GB is listed as Disk 0
>> and the 80GB as Disk 1
>> I would like to change the 80GB to Disk 0
>>

> Let me guess? Hmmmmm? Wouldn't be a Sil 0680 ATA/133 Controller Card
> would it?

bytor

In article <fO-dnX_z4e4fK_nfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, no_spam_me@comcast.net,
Tod says...

> Yes it is.

The Sil assignes disk order first before the MB where a HardDrive is
involved......If you want the 80 to be disk0 than place it on the
Primary/Master of the Sil....This will be the only way to change disk
order.........If everything is working fine than leave it the way it is
all set up.....Is something going on, a problem?

you'd need to physically change the disks around on the master/slave IDE
channels "0" is master "1" is slave