Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hi,

whenever i try to defrag my HDD using the standard Windows defrag-tool, my computer emits a ticking sounds (same as the constant reboot sound) and after that, I get a blue screen of death.
Fortunately, this is only the case when the tool tries to defrag the file "WindowsUpdate.log": I've been defragging for several hours (guess it was about time i defragged once more:D) , without any probs.

What i've done to solve this problem:
- defrag in safe mode=> same result
- use a prog called 'PageDefrag'=> crashed while defragging the file "PageFile.sys" (i think)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I'm using XP Home SP2

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
your pagefile cannot be defragmented, it has to be removed and recreated

if it hangs on the windowsupdate.log file, what's the size of it? maybe it's become bloated and causing the defrag to crash down after some time

...i'm surprised it didn't work in safe mode

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
The file is 1.46 MB large, created in august 2004 and last access was today.

It should also be noted that PageDefrag found several other (+-10) files that were alike and might also cause the defrag tool to fail.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm afraid that didnt work either. I get another blue screen, saying "Kernel_Stack_inpage_error" with "STOP: 0x00000077" as technical info.

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
First try recreating your pagefile. Also do a chkdsk to see if the hardware has any bad sectors because when defrag tries to check the areas with bad sectors BSOD's might occur.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
this is my question.
how can someone recreate pagefile.
i have set windows to automaticaly clear pagefile on shoutdown.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
CHKDSK didn't return any errors...
And to be honest, i have no idea on how to recreate the pagefile... Any help would be appreciated:)

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
To recreate the pagefile, go to the Control panel and System. And then choose the Advanced tab and then click the Settings button of the Performance. There choose the Advanced tab again and then click the Change button at virtual memory. There first choose no pagefile and then restart your system and then set the pagefile again to a fixed size to avoid windows resizing the pagefile which might degrade the performance a little. Hope this helps, good luck.

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Yes, but if you have a lot of ram 2GB + you can even disable it, but it's better to have it just in case. I also recommend putting the pagefile in another drive than the drive where your OS is installed to increase the performance.