Problem with Windows XP cd...

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I have an original Windows XP here... I wanted to format my pc, but when the files of the cd where being loaded on the boot screen, a message appeared telling that there was a corrupted file... What can I do now to have it back??? Can I get a new cd from Microsoft??

Anything helps... xD

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Yes... It's totally legal...

Are you sure nLite will solve my problem (it doesn't make sense xD)??

There's another thing I'm afraid of... I already tried to use nLite a long time ago (maybe the problem was in the version of the program), and although I didn't removed any crucial program for windows to work, when I was on the "graphical part" of the installation, it always crashed my pc, and then I had to use my normal Windows XP cd (Home Edition)...But now I can't make any mistakes... Or else I'll have no pc... xD

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
You can try using MagicISO to make a bootable duplicate of the cd. If this doesn't work, I don't know if Microsoft will give you a new copy but I doubt it. You can also extract the boot sector from the cd and then use Isobuster to try and recover the cd. if there are some files missing, you can get them from your current windows installation or from a friend and even from me. I hope to have been of help. Let us know how it goes.

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Then I'll have another problem... I've bought my Windows XP just after is was released... So it's the original version, without any Service Pack... I think it's impossible now to find the first Windows XP release... The SP2 version much probably use a different serial key...

If somebody have another idea, it will help... xD

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I just remembered that once I found a way to activate Windows XP without the normal way... I just have to copy two files from an activated Windows XP (that I have) and substitute the ones that are on the non activated copy...
But my doubt is... Does it really work??
If yes, does it work with "different" Windows?? I mean... Will it work if I take the files from a Windows XP Home Edition without any Service Pack and put it in a Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2?

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I've had issues with Windows XP CDs before (they were supplied by my customer & burned copies, so the problem was that they weren't even bootable until he gave me an alternate disk - also a copy - & it just randomly worked) & the best form of action seems to be to just obtain new disks, not to try repairing the malfunctioning ones with bootable copies.

Spielwurfel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
So... In your case, the cd's were already with problems... But in my case, the cd got problems after I used (the cd is not scratched at all though)...

Can I get a new one from Microsoft???? The support in the website wasn't useful.... :S

You original key will work with any revision of Service Packs, unless your key has somehow been blacklisted. So if you make yourself a SP2 CD from your original Windows CD, your key will still work.

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
if you have a legit copy of the OS you should probably be able to call Microsoft up and have them ship you a new disc I would think. If you do that most likely they would give you a copy with the most recent rls that they have presumably including SP2 as well.

Doesnt matter though what version you install really as you can just go to the update website and download service packs etc etc etc to bring your software up to date