so the ati 2900 hd xtx is coming out in june......

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
I do not want to go through half of my summer with my horribly old system that I have now(amd xp 2500+ ati radeon 9500 pro 1 gig of ddr ram). So I was thinking of building my system in early May(intel qx6700 2 gigs of ram yada yada yada) but I planned on getting 2 of ati 2900 hd xtx's. I thought of a few solutions to my problem.

Solution 1. Buy a x1950 pro to be able to play games decently until the 2900 xtx comes out

Solution 2. Buy 2 ati 2900 hd xt's and just crossfire them

What are your suggestions?

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
june is only a month a 2 weeks away, im sure you can wait.... im thinking about selling my 8800GTX myself and buying the HD 2900XTX

How about solution 3: Buy and HD X2900XT, then if you think it's worth it, flip it and buy the HDX2900XTX. Buying the X1950 offer no better, other than maybe saving you a few bucks on the resell. Unless you don't want to sell your cards at all, and wish to use your second card for physics, which becomes a completely different consideration.

However if you're coming from an R9500P, what's the sudden need to stay with the very top of the graphics world?

Why not get the single HDx2900XT or GF8800GTX and then ride it until it's not good enough for the games/resolution you play, and then replace it.

The benefits of Crossfire/SLi are very limited, and unless you know what those benefits are suggesting or planning that path isn't a wise move.

I see no benefit from either of your options.

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
well i am just damn bored not being able to play stalker or any of the latest games lol, and I am going to get a 30 inch monitor from dell which requires dvi out for 2560x1600. I wont be able to get good fps with crysis at this resolution with 1 card and anistroppic or w/e settings at 24.

Ah OK, well for a DELL 30" that's one of the very VERY few reasons I can think of to get Xfire/SLi, ok, well in that case, probably the 2 HDX2900XTs would outperform the single HD2900XTX, but only if you can get a 1GB versionof the plain XT (like the OEM model), the 512MB on the plain XTs might make life difficult for Xfire since at those ultra high resolutions and AA you'll likely run into memory restrictions.

So you're kinda stuck until you/we know more about the options available and the effect on those cards under different games/apps at the various resolutions/AA.

PS if you get a DELL 30" be sure to get the newer one with the better backlight the WFP-HC. If you are stuck with the old ones (plain WPF), then get an HP or Samsung instead.

Be sure to check before you buy.

well it is from dells website so i assume it is the latest version including the 92% color gamut one.

Don't assume, they announced it long ago, and I have yet to see anyone get a confirmed HC model in retail, they are mainly currently selling in the corporate side of Dell.

That's why I say check to be sure.

As for the other question change the first part and maybe I'll answer it when I get back home. ALthough I'd suggest asking the MoBo group if you want an answer in the next 30-40 mins.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
also, remember, this is ati crossfire, not nvidia sli, so you can run a overclocked 2900xt and a 2900xtx in crossfire together. the cards only need to eb from the same series.