K10, Barcelona scores up

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Fifty percent faster than Kentsfield

K10 part called Barcelona is up and running. It is not ready for launch but AMD already have the first part ready.

We don't have many numbers but at least in specfp_rate2000 Barcelona ends up a bit less than 50 percent faster than Intel quad core codenamed Kentsfield.

We are quite sure that this is the best score but it definitely sounds impressive. AMD chaps are very confident that K10 marchitecture and native Quad core is the way to go and Intel will probably have to pay the price for duct taping its chips. AMD will come to collect in second half of 2007.

source :
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=543&Itemid=1

if this is true its gonna be a very nice cpu :lol: but i honestly doubt it is

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
We don't have many numbers but at least in specfp_rate2000 Barcelona ends up a bit less than 50 percent faster than Intel quad core codenamed Kentsfield.
not to be an A-hole here...
but didn't AMD accused Intel for using this "outdated" benchmark? I believed they even called Intel's benchmark a "fraud"...
...and we now seeing AMD using this benchmark to tout its new processor lineup...

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
it would be nice if it was true but i really doubt it before we see any data on it..

well i dunno its hard to say anything at all when nobody knows anything at the moment, i guess we just have to wait and see what happens next but if its true its impressive none the less

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Fifty percent faster than Kentsfield

K10 part called Barcelona is up and running. It is not ready for launch but AMD already have the first part ready.

We are quite sure that this is the best score but it definitely sounds impressive. AMD chaps are very confident that K10 marchitecture and native Quad core is the way to go and Intel will probably have to pay the price for duct taping its chips. AMD will come to collect in second half of 2007.

source :
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=543&Itemid=1

if this is true its gonna be a very nice cpu :lol: but i honestly doubt it is
I didn't realize that Sharikaboob ran 2 sites. 8)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yep, this more or less is in agreement with AMD's claims, though we still don't have data --- Fuad is also not the bastion of accuracy, but I tend to believe his report in this case.

Interesting though that he is reporting specfp_rate2000 (rate), which makes sense when taking advantage of the excess bandwidth. I wonder if the number they are claiming 50% is base or peak?
I think it's OPTIMIZED configuration peak....

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
AMD chaps are very confident that K10 marchitecture and native Quad core is the way to go and Intel will probably have to pay the price for duct taping its chips. AMD will come to collect in second half of 2007.

LOL, yeah they will have to "Pay the price for duct taping its chips" by continueing to reap massive profits by having the only quad core on the market now. :roll:

Can't believe people are still that dense. 8O

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
AMD chaps are very confident that K10 marchitecture and native Quad core is the way to go and Intel will probably have to pay the price for duct taping its chips. AMD will come to collect in second half of 2007.

LOL, yeah they will have to "Pay the price for duct taping its chips" by continueing to reap massive profits by having the only quad core on the market now. :roll:

Can't believe people are still that dense. 8OYeah...i think i'll buy 2 x E4300's for ~$226 after apr.22nd....i already have some duct-tape. I'll use lot's to be safe. 1.8GHzx4/800FSB/2MB L2x4.... Great deal. Some judicious overclocking and i'll have a 3.0-3.2 GHz quad for $226. If software is ridiculously slow adapting to multithread....i'll just untape them and throw one back in....sell the other. 8) Man....I think Intel should hire me. :wink:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I'm among the proponents of the idea that AMD should have released an MCP quad-core as soon as they could have. The fact it's a native quad-core is only a little extra bonus-ish thing. Performance is what really matters.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah, even the AMD folks have realized and admitted that the Intel glue method was quite smart...and have decided to do it themselves in the near future.

Some people just aren't very informed. 8O

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Yeah...i think i'll buy 2 x E4300's for ~$226 after apr.22nd....i already have some duct-tape.

Are you going to use the 'stacking method' for that? Or the side by side?

I was going to use a pin to play around inside the chip. I think I can finagle things around just enough to fit at least 5 or 6 cores in their (and solve any heat issues I have). :D

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
How far will Intel be able to clock up their quads? The "Overindulge yourself with QX6800" article says that those require mandatory watercooling. Falcon got a bump without going too elaborate, but I'm not in a hurry to go watercooling, myself. I only hope the 1970's Boogie Van paintjob doesn't become a requirement as well.

crazypyro

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

Yeah, even the AMD folks have realized and admitted that the Intel glue method was quite smart...and have decided to do it themselves in the near future.

Some people just aren't very informed. 8O

actually native quad is better, but more costly since it involves R&D (research and development for the inclined).

die glueing is cheap and quick, and AMD's current situation doesn't allow them to do a native octo-core CPU hence the reason they will be glueing two Barcelona's together.

In the end its all about profits.

TRENDING THREADS