Seems my Version of XP dosn't like a 500GB HDD

VZTRT

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hey guys, I had a quick look and couldn't find a related thread.

I just bought a very bare bones system:

CPU: E6300 Core2duo (1.86GHz)
RAM: 1 GB (not sure on the brand)
MB: ASUS P5GZ-MX
Chipset: Intel (NB)945GZ & (SB)ICH7
HDD: 500MB Samsung HD501LJ SATA

Graphics and sound are integrated as I dont need anything better.

Now the problem I seem to have is that I went to install an early version of XP (didn't even have SP1!!) and it only let me partition 125GB of the drive and it didn't give me the option of making more than one drive. Now I thought this could be like the old windows programs that had a limit on how much of the HD it could recognise. But the old versions allowed you do multiple partitions.

The second problem I have is that after a restart or even turning on the computer the computer fires up but the keyboard and monitor wont and the comp seems to stall but pressing the restart button seems to get her up and running. When it's running the computer is great and very stable.

The computer is running slightly below the 1.86Ghz mark as I noticed that when it was overclocked (by accident as the auto detect feature only let it run at 1.4GHz) that it wouldn't detect the HDD.

Now what I need to know is why would it be playing up with the restart/Turing on problem?
And how do I partition the rest of the drive (not fussed in splitting it as most is storage for photo's)?

Sorry for the long post but I wanna try to give as much info to try to fix this thing.

Thanks

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Now the problem I seem to have is that I went to install an early version of XP (didn't even have SP1!!) and it only let me partition 125GB of the drive and it didn't give me the option of making more than one drive. Now I thought this could be like the old windows programs that had a limit on how much of the HD it could recognise. But the old versions allowed you do multiple partitions.

Thanks

Yeah, I think you need XP+ServicePack2 Installer in order for it to recognize the full HDD in install. Just install your old version of windows and then install service pack 2. After installing service pack 2 you will be able to see and partition the rest of your hard disk under "Control Panel->Administrative Tools"->"Computer Management"->"Disk Management"

After installing service pack 2 you can use a program like PartitionMagic to partition your hard drive however you want (i.e. increase the C: drive to the full 500GB if you want). Anyone know of a free program to resize NTFS partitons?

However, many people (including myself) believe that it is a good idea to keep your primary windows partition at a reasonable size (no more than 120GB is my rule)

Edit: According to wikipedia you need at least XP service pack 1 for LBA-48 support which enables you to view and use HDD space above 137GB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_Pack_1

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
The computer is running slightly below the 1.86Ghz mark as I noticed that when it was overclocked (by accident as the auto detect feature only let it run at 1.4GHz) that it wouldn't detect the HDD.

Now what I need to know is why would it be playing up with the restart/Turing on problem?

I think this is a problem with your SRC being overclocked??? Try to fix the SRC at 100 (double check that this number is right before trying anything). Not sure.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well whilst you have the system running it might be nice to make a slipstreamed version of the windows cd so you have the updates and service packs included, makes life easier down the road. I did this for my windows 2000 and used a program called nlite, it's freeware and lets you add in a fair few goodies as well Nlite

I would have thought that the version of fdisk on an early xp would recognise more than 128gb especially using NTFS (which I assume you are using). You should be able to integrate a later version with nlite above. As a matter of interest is your BIOS reporting the drive properly? I've heard of them occasionally setting the drive wrong, pretty sure that all drives should be set to LBA nowadays. Some drives also have jumper settings to limit the drive size, though I can't imagine for the life of me why one would be shipped jumpered like that. I think the clue will be where the xp setup screen reports what drive space is available.

Not quite sure of the other problems just yet, might be worth having a quick look around the BIOS at a few settings like which display initiates first etc. Sure some others will chime in.

Karl

freelance

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
womble:
After installing service pack 2 you can use a program like PartitionMagic to partition your hard drive however you want (i.e. increase the C: drive to the full 500GB if you want). Anyone know of a free program to resize NTFS partitons?

Yesa. The following two free programs should do the resiZing, etc: Partition Logic and CPM (Cute Partition Manager).

Womble also thanks for suggestion! Just went with the "long" procedure myself - don't have any other rig to sleapstrim XP with SP2, so installed old naked XP (no service packs). It, of course, recognised only 131Gb (out of 320). After, installed SP2. Used PartitionMagic, et voila.

freelance

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Well, one more thing, even if no one is "listening". Just to be sure how it works - after installing XP and later SP2, I have used nLite to sleapstreem SP2 with XP. There was one problem with putting XP+SP2 together - XP disk would not allow copying some files to PC. I had to find them on the net first and then start the sleapstreemeing, which went then fine. With that I have clean installed again.

So if you have only one rig and no other possibility (which is extremeley rare these days, but well... may happen) and separate XP + SP2, you can go with two procedures, I guess:
1. Install XP on an available partition size of your choosing, if you are ok with a partition under 131-137Gb. Leave the other space unpartitioned. Later install SP2 (which will recognise the rest of the HDD) and format all the unpartitioned space as you like (through right click on My computer/Manage/Disk Management or with free partition tools CPM or Partition Logic).
2. even longer procedure - install XP, later SP2, sleapstreem them with nLite (if need be copy some files from the internet) and then clean install again and that will ensure installation will recognise the whle disk form the start.

I guess the first procedure is more user friendly. Cheers!

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
womble:

Yesa. The following two free programs should do the resiZing, etc: Partition Logic and CPM (Cute Partition Manager).

Womble also thanks for suggestion! Just went with the "long" procedure myself - don't have any other rig to sleapstrim XP with SP2, so installed old naked XP (no service packs). It, of course, recognised only 131Gb (out of 320). After, installed SP2. Used PartitionMagic, et voila.

Um... that was me (pshrk), not womble. But thanks for answering my question, I will give Partition Logic and CPM a try next time i have the chance.

freelance

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
womble:

Um... that was me (pshrk), not womble. But thanks for answering my question, I will give Partition Logic and CPM a try next time i have the chance.

Wasn't careful with the author - my mistake. Sorry pshrk!