My E4300 and the tale of IHS luck.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
First and foremost, if you don't like full-on recounts all i have to say is TL;DR

I finally decided to put this here, just to say that from bad things, good things come.

Well, about 2-3 months ago I built by new rig, I was very happy with it and quite eager to overclock it. I put it all together and turned it on, it ran wonderfully, but i felt my Ram was wasted sitting at 667mhz, so i did the usual thing, and started to overclock it.

I slowly worked up my FSB, leaving the multi at 9x, every time i raised the FSB i saw the load temps rising, so i was especially careful. I finally reached 3Ghz with the Intel boxed cooler, i was a bit disappointed though because at full load in TAT the Tjunction was 75oC, 10oC below max spec, but still, safe.

I left the machine running orthos while i went for a walk, but when i got home i was shocked to see my computer with a blank screen, and saw the loose Intel boxed cooler (i had my case open, and laying horizontally), I thought i had just fried my computer...

Upon further inspection, after pulling the plug, I noticed that nothing seemed burnt or like it had suffered heat damage, and then I remembered I had set the thermal shutdown to 70oC (85oC Tjunction), I sighed a sigh of relief, but I was still trying to work out why my Intel boxed cooler was dismounted...

I re-attached the cooler and lowered the processor back to default speeds and voltages, I opened up TAT and ran it, I noticed that the Tj was about as high as it was when i had it OC'd to 3Ghz, something must have been wrong, I instantly presumed i had badly mounted my cooler, so I powered down my machine and took the push pins out, lifted up the heatsink and saw... A BARE NAKED E4300! I was slightly shocked, i looked, and low and behold, there was my IHS, stuck with thermal paste to the bottom of my heatsink...

What i assumed to have happened, there was a bit of air under the IHS, but the rubber had sealed it, so when overclocked, and heated up, the air expanded, and the un-soldered IHS "popped" off, taking the heatsink with it, but must have ricoceted back on to the top of my processor (must have done it with some force because later when i checked i saw a small chip in the motherboard where the socket latch had hit the motherboard).

Well, me being me, realized that since i booted the computer and successfully ran TAT with the unattached IHS the core was undamaged. I took the socket 775 "lid" and drew against the base of my zalman CNPS 9700 the outline of the cover. I filed away until the the socket 775 "lid" made a nice shim in the heatsink, i put some of that X23 thermal paste on the core and mounted my heatsink, it fit perfectly!

When I booted up I immediately entered the bios, to check if it was making contact, which, to my complete disbelief, it was. It was sitting at 22oC, 3oC above ambient, this is when i knew i could have some real fun. I when to the FSB control, i adjusted the FSB in increments of 10, until it would no longer boot into windows, this was at just over 3ghz. I upped the voltage from 1.25 to the max Intel spec, 1.35v, the machine booted into to windows, i opened up TAT and stuck it under full load, the Tj showed only 63oC!! Knowing this, i realized it would take a quite ambitious overclock to reach the thermal limit, but just in case, i limited myself to only using the max Intel spec voltage (1.35v), i made it to 3.78Ghz, but unfortunately this was too hot for my likings, under full TAT load the system would get to *just* 82oC Tjunction, i did not like the look of this, so i started clocking down, i picked 3.6Ghz because it fits 1:1 with my ram, and it is damn fast, since I knew (from reaching 3.78Ghz) i didn't need all of that 1.35vcore, i lowered and lowered until it wouldn't pass 8 hours of orthos, at this point i was at 1.31v, i bumped it up to 1.32v and it was fine, my Tj temp is only 69oC ~3oC at load and I am rather pleased with myself and this wonderful chip.

Well, i guess that concludes it. I hope you enjoyed reading it, sure, i enjoyed parts of it, and was sh!t scared at others, but now, i'm rather pleased with all of the happenings.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Bastard, I won't have the balls to take the IHS off my C2D cpu when I get one in a month or so, I can only pray it falls off by itself :lol:

Pretty ballsy running at 69C with no IHS if you ask me...might want to look into a better cooler or dropping that OC a bit.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
thats a Tj of 69... most peoples Tjs are about 70-75 under load. at load the temp your thinking of is 54oC, so i think it is pretty good. yea, I was thinking about getting a new one, probably that butterfly shaped one but i don't want something too big.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
no way, it took me ages to buff my heatsink so it fitted the socket with the "lid" on (most people take the lid off, but i decided to use it as a shim), plus, i have a feeling it won't work very well with a processor that does have an IHS since it is missing some copper form the middle and around the sides (not much, but enough to make contact and stop it from chipping the die.)

TRENDING THREADS