Sign in with
Your question

chipset for vista?

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 31, 2006 7:35:57 PM

When vista comes out as well as dx10, will ther be new mobo's and cpu's made for vista/dx10? Im not sure if I should build a new comp now and wait till dx10 or wait for dx10 then build a computer. which would be the smart choice?

More about : chipset vista

November 1, 2006 12:42:21 AM

the only piece of hardware which will have to adjust itself to the dx10 architecture will be the video card, so you can build your system now, just don't waste your money on a dx9 card, wait for dx10 compatable hardware to come out...or you can just wait it all out together
m
l
November 2, 2006 11:31:12 PM

wait... i just got my 7600GT so your saying i cant get vista?
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2006 6:30:30 PM

Quote:
wait... i just got my 7600GT so your saying i cant get vista?

No, all DirectX 9 video cards can run Windows Vista without Aero (that is, Vista Basic), and most new DirectX 9 video cards will run the full Aero Premium interface.

According to Vista's system requirements,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable....
to run Aero, the card must have:
"Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel."

DirectX 10 cards will run both DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 games, but DirectX 9 cards will only run DirectX 9 games.

The first DirectX 10 cards are coming out next week, and will be very expensive, and, I suspect, will have very high power and case cooling requirements.

Fuzzy
m
l
November 4, 2006 3:36:11 AM

yeah as fuzzy said...you can "get" vista with your gf7 card...use aero and glass, but you can't play dx10 compatable games with it, unless the game supplies dx9 compatable textures and libraries n' all, which is common cuz when dx9 first came out, most games still had backwards compatability to dx8
m
l
November 4, 2006 6:16:53 PM

I'd bet they'll be a crack or download or patch to enable DX 9 hardware to run DX 10 games, unless the hardware just can't support it???
m
l
!