9800 Pro flashed to 9800 XT

Psyrex

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I've recently read that it is possible to flash the bios of an ATI 9800 Pro to an 9800 XT.

Since i've never done anything like this before i was just wondering if you guys could give me a few pointers.

Where can i get the flash?
Should i use any tools to check anything?
What sort of result should i expect?

Obviously it will get hotter but i've got a couple of PCI fan's cooling the card.

I take it i need to find a 128mb XT flash since thats the memory count on my 9800 pro.

Do i need get a version that has the same make of memory chips?

As much advice as possible please.

Thanks all.

Peffse

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
I've flashed the bios to my 9800pro to a 9800XT myself, and it is actually pretty easy. BUT... I would not recommend it if you only have PCI fans with a stock cooler. I killed my card accidentally by clocking it up to XT speeds for both core and RAM without sufficient cooling (I think, I'm not quite sure myself.. it just quit one day).
That link in the earlier post is a pretty good guide, but if you have a hard time following it... I used this guide.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I once flashed a 9700 to a 9700 pro and it ran beautifully, but my god I was nervous!

My advice is to collect as much info as you can, to tread very carefully, and to be prepared mentally to end up with a dead card.

Good luck - let us know how you do!