Steam complaints and refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

aksotar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hello,
has anyone ever received a refund from them ?
took over a week to download a game after following their optimization suggestions... then it doesn't play... I use Clearwire, fairly good download speeds and am using an I7 Sandy Bridge PC, 16GB ram, GTX 560Ti card, running Windows 7.....
3 emails to customer support so far without anything other than an automated reply...
I just want a refund and to delete my membership to them...
perhaps a class action law suit will get their attention ?? anyone interested in joining in on one ?? it's not about the $30, it's about their terrible customer service !!

i personally hate steam.

in my opinion it is complete junk. new games often require it to run and often have half of the game as downloaded content instead of being in the retail box i purchased. i purchased two games for offline play only (only have dialup) and both were unusable due to steam requiring DLC. neither had "requires steam and downloading of 1gb content" on the box.

i'd rather hit myself in the hand with a hammer than have to deal with them.

HippyMitch

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

I just bought Modern Warfare 2 After two days I have 4% downloaded and then the connection timed out Class action YES - we could also make a complaint to the federal police about them obtaining money under false pretenses or the like. STEAM is a load of HOT AIR.

rhippymitch@yahoo.com.au

Mitch

jimmyallen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
What a mug: I ordered three games in one hit the other night. Nothing happened. I complained the next night and ... nothing happened. A short while ago I asked for my money back in the following fashion:

"This is ridiculous. Please cancel my order. I plan to complain. I confess I have no clue who to complain to but this service is a disgrace. I will, you may be assured, be bagging your service from a-hole to breakfast time on every forum i can find. Disgraceful. Shame on you. I want my money back. Days it's taken for you to do nothing. For shame. I will copy this reply to whatever I can. Its obvious sincerity will doubtless shine through.

I hope you go broke."

I have no expectation of getting my $80 back soon. I will have to complain to the credit card company. What bastards! I am so angry. My experiences hitherto of online commerce have been fine. Vendors have been keen to correspond. This Steam crowd are beneath contempt. Days! Days and no response. I bet they're spending their revenue on fancy cars and holidays, not service. The bastards. I hope they suffer a disaster of old testament proportions. Pricks!

Colin McAuliffe

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
There's no actual option in their support area to select specifically in relation to refunds. I've emailed them 5 times so far. The game I downloaded doesn't play. They keep emailing directions on how to further alter my computer settings to make it work.. suggestions that are beginning to impact on the way I use everything else. In every email I've requested a credit to purchase another product which I think is a fair request and still benefits both parties but they never acknowledge that request and skip straight to directions on how to change my computer setting further.

It takes several days to ever get a response. I'm sorely disappointed with their customer service and complete avoidance of my request for a credit/refund.

The game was only $9.95 but it's the principle. I live in Australia and from what I've read it appears I don't have a leg to stand on as far as Steam needing to follow Australian consumer law at all.

I notice the American Federal Trade Commission has an international agreement with Australia so I will be contacting them to see if I can make a formal complaint but I don't like my chances.

I'm sorely disappointed with Steams complete indifference and I would not recommend using them to anyone. Avoid Steam at all costs!

Colzz - Australia

Rsdevour

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
I've bought tons and tons of games from steam w.o a problem. DL speeds suck at times but that is primarily due to your own internet. Now I cannot speak for everybody. If your at 4% in 2 days that tells me your dl rate is horrible and thats not really steams problem. When you purchase your games your games will show in your library and if it shows that it is not enabling the dl. Then just right click and dl. Not here to piss anyone off but some of you really need to be a little more patient. Things in the world are not 100% guarenteed to be immediate stuff happens from time to time. Take a breather wait for the response then leave them if you still feel the need. Just be patient :D

Joshua Hill

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
How did you get on Colzz? I am also an Australian and purchased a game NEW in a bricks and mortar retail sore only to be forced to activate it on Steam and be told the cd-key has already been used. I contacted Steam support but despite being a member for 5 years with 200 games they have treated me like a pirate. Would like to know which authorities to contact in Australia?

Jye

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Bought anno 2070 for $75 and it wouldn't run because of their shit-house servers. Its not even a multiplayer intesive game so not sure why their servers would be overloaded, probably just to lazy and money grubbing to start the servers. No refund. I would help you with a law suit if I wasn't 15.

freetobe

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Hi,

I don't like Steam, I find it overly complicated and I cannot stand needing to be connected online to play offline games, unless of course, I choose to play in offline mode whilst I have an online connection, so that next time I play offline, I can play offline! (If you understand what I mean lol)

What really grips my poo, is "recently" (June 2013) I purchased Company of Heroes 2. I met all the requirements, as advertised on Steam, paid 40GBP (about $60ish) and it constantly crashes. This is due to the graphics card in my laptop. It meets the requirements set out by SEGA/RELIC (creators) which is sold on STEAM. The problem is, theres a problem with the graphics card made by AMD/ATI and neither AMD/ATI/SEGA/RELIC have fixed the issue or even made an announcement/apology in anticipation to fix it. As it affects a particular graphics card, there are many people with this issue complaining on the CoH2 forums complaining so THEY KNOW about the problem!

After waiting 2 months (ample time for an annocement/fix), nothing. So I went to valve to ask for a refund as the game didnt work, and they sold it to me under false pretences as I had the required hardware, but the game didnt work. NO REPLY. I went to PAYPAL and because I was over the 45 day limit, my dispute is automatically rejected and no help provided. Essentially, 40GBP stolen under false (and under UK law, ILLEGAL) pretences.

As mentioned above, there is no support section on Steam for a refund AND I personally cannot find a complaints section. I'm pretty sure that under UK law (fair trade laws), companies must provide a way for customers to complain for it to operate legally. So is Steam operating legally? I don't know. Certainly not ethically.

freetobe

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
"We strongly suggest that you contact us before filing a dispute with your bank or with PayPal as we can return the funds to you immediately without any paperwork or claim forms. We will also ban your payment account from our system so that it cannot be used again. We take fraud very seriously and will permanently ban not only your card from our system but any and all Steam accounts that are tied to the fraudulent activity or disputed transactions.

Please contact Steam Support so that we can research the charges and take appropriate action. Please provide the following information in your ticket:

- The approximate date of the charge
- The last 4 digits and the name on the credit card that was used
- If PayPal was used, please provide the Order Description and Invoice ID for the charges
- A phone number to reach you if we have further questions.

You can submit a support ticket by contacting Steam Support."

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9114-WGHM-0381

I find this page quite laughable. As I did the following and was ignored. "Take fraud seriously"? Sure...

Maybe I should speak to my bank as PayPal are entirely useless after the 45 day period.

Calphine Mok

Reputable
May 16, 2014
30 april 2014 My steam account been hacked. lost most of my valuable items around 750$. I reported to steam support but the customer service is so terrible, the worst part is i been waiting they respond day by day, and you know what? they just closed the case without email you inform you what is final answer anything, they just ignore me and leave the responsibility. i definitely want to complaint steam. Anyone can help?

I-hate-steam

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
I have just bought xcom all 3 discs in a shiny new box and these parasites from steam want me to become one more useless slave to their bullshit. Well that's not going to happen. I will be taking the game back tomorrow and using the retailers 7 day satisfaction guarantee.
In future I will be scouring the box and fine print for any mention of these steam grubs and if I see any evidence they even know someone who saw a picture of one of the game developers I will be dropping the box like its on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.