New 2Gb of memory for Gaming new build

Ankira

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I am going through a major refresh of my build at the moment in order to move from AGP to PCI-E and I know very little about PC memory!
I am planning on moving to a Core 2 Duo 6300 / ASUS Commando / X1950 Pro system (or something similar!)
I use the system for gaming with heavy graphics use (e.g. Oblivion, NWN2, BF2142)

I've read the guide, etc on this forum, but I'd appreciate some further help please...

I am looking to spend less than £150 on the memory, but would prefer to keep it nearer £100 if possible.

Does it make much of a difference to go for a particular manufacturer?

Things that I am looking at are:
1/ CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800) (£120)

2/ Crucial Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 (£145)

Are these reasonable choices, or am I missing something better for a similar price?

Any thoughts / advice very much appreciated!

Ankira

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
Just a quick query on this; I've noticed that the Corsair memory has a latency of 5-5-5-12 whereas the Crucial one has 4-4-4-12.

I understand that the lower the better on this rating, but would this really make a difference to me? Am I likely to notice the difference?

Thank you!

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Just a quick query on this; I've noticed that the Corsair memory has a latency of 5-5-5-12 whereas the Crucial one has 4-4-4-12.

I understand that the lower the better on this rating, but would this really make a difference to me? Am I likely to notice the difference?

Thank you!

Firstly the difference will not be noticable at all in gaming. Secondly, i actually have that Corsair ram and i'm running it at 4-4-4-12 @ 800MHZ (1:1 ratio with my FSB of 400) and it's perfectly stable. All corsair sticks i have ever owned have been decent overclockers.

Ankira

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
The GSkill memory seems very expensive over here in the UK.

£167
£159

I think I'll stick to the Corsair, based on the comments, thanks.

I'm going to have another look at my motherboard selection; that one was recommended to me, but I'm not convinced it's the best I can get for the money.
I saw a review which wasn't very complimentary about the Gigabyte one mentioned:
http://www.custompc.co.uk/
(Sorry - I can't seem to link to the page; just put GA-965P-DQ6 into the search window, and it finds the review article)

I may look again at the motherboard; something like the P5B:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/116481
I'll continue that conversation on the motherboard forum!

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
corsair definately, and maybe save some cash and get the p5n32-e

That board smells. Get the Gigabyte DQ6:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123452

If you intend to do serious overclocking (talking upwards of a 500FSB here)

Or get the Gigabyte DS3 if you intend to do less overclocking and have a very stable board:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125739
lol, not really,tis grand, although not for a 500+ OC, ebuyer sux btw, tekheads, the best uk supplier, overclockers sux also

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
corsair definately, and maybe save some cash and get the p5n32-e

That board smells. Get the Gigabyte DQ6:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123452

If you intend to do serious overclocking (talking upwards of a 500FSB here)

Or get the Gigabyte DS3 if you intend to do less overclocking and have a very stable board:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125739
lol, not really,tis grand, although not for a 500+ OC, ebuyer sux btw, tekheads, the best uk supplier, overclockers sux also

Your use of the word "sux" has just invalidated your arguement. Ebuyer is consistently the cheapest vendor i look at (I don't just go straight to ebuyer - they just almost always are the cheapest) and their postage service is second to only Aria's.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Your use of the word "sux" has just invalidated your arguement. Ebuyer is consistently the cheapest vendor i look at (I don't just go straight to ebuyer - they just almost always are the cheapest) and their postage service is second to only Aria's.
You have just invalidated your argument

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Care to elaborate?

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007

Care to elaborate?
'Your use of the word "sux" has just invalidated your arguement' -> i rest my case,im not arguing either, im giving my opinion

Ebuyer is cheaper but their practices of nicking product descriptions from other retailers is appaling( and this is being blamed due to downsizing!!!!! ), as is their system if you want to get anything delivered to ireland, end result ->bad

Overclockers while they have good prices and products, i have had a very bad experience with them, end result -> sux bigtime

Komplett -> very hit and miss

I have consistently had fantastic experiences with tekheads and cannot fault them in any way, except postage is a bit expensive to ireland, but if im building a new system thats neglible.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Ahh i didn't know that you were in Ireland - i know about ebuyer's inability to ship to Ireland properly. If you do live in Ireland i would find it hard to recommend.

Although you point out that "nicking product descriptions" is a bad thing, if you think about it it isn't exactly a terrible thing - at least you know you're buying the same product you saw from another website!

PS. You were trying to make the point that Ebuyer is a bad retailer which is an arguement. An arguement doesn't have to have two sides.

Here, a definition of an arguement from a dictionairy:

An argument is a statement (premise) or group of statements (premises) offered in support of another statement (conclusion).

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
PS. You were trying to make the point that Ebuyer is a bad retailer which is an arguement. An arguement doesn't have to have two sides.

Here, a definition of an arguement from a dictionairy:

An argument is a statement (premise) or group of statements (premises) offered in support of another statement (conclusion).
lol, i honestly couldnt be bothered

Ahh i didn't know that you were in Ireland - i know about ebuyer's inability to ship to Ireland properly. If you do live in Ireland i would find it hard to recommend.

Although you point out that "nicking product descriptions" is a bad thing, if you think about it it isn't exactly a terrible thing - at least you know you're buying the same product you saw from another website!
Yeah, i could never get it to register a damn PO box for ireland even though the FAQ says use a specific one theyve setup for it, so i gave up on it, i couldnt email them as theires no email support but i did fill in some webform thingy and they never got back to me so i put them in my banned list :). It is a bit cheeky of them to be nicking others work though and making it blatently obvious also

Overclockers took 3 months to answer my query( during which i built another PC ) then asked me if i wanted the items after i thanked them for highlighting that their customer communication is terrible and that i shouldnt buy anything off them

For me an online retailer is good if theyre no hassle and if goods are faulty or you need support that they are quict to respond, if ebuyer or whoever do that then cool, recommend them, im only going by my experiences and voicing my opinion on that

Linear

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I currently have the Crucial Ballistix CL4's got them upto 510MHz @ 1.9v with my e6600, so they're good overclockers (those sticks are the first listed here)

Here are some good, cheap, low latency ram from reputable retailers in the UK (all include VAT, but not delivery)

Crucial 2x1GB 240-Pin DIMM PC2-6400 Unbuffered Non-ECC CL4 (£111.54)
http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...+6400&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC) (£111.61)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-058-GL&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=813

OCZ DDR2 PC6400 2048MB KIT, Titanium XTC, w/two 1024MB, CL4-4-4-15, EPP (£119)
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=331922

malphadour

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I am using 2GB of Geil pc-6400 Ultra. Check out MicroDirect, it is very well priced and outperforms the Corsair ram (and I like corsair ram btw).

It is CAS4 with 4-4-4-12 timings but overclocks better than the corsair for some reason. I am running mine at 860mhz at the moment and that is at 2.0v: it is supposed to run between 2.1v and 2.3v, so imagine how far it will go when I actually juice up the voltage. Reports on the net have it running at 900mhz on 4-4-4-12 timings which is pretty good for this price of memory.

Also check out overclockers as they have a very good deal on some pc-8000 at the moment (cant remember which brand), its in their hot offers section.

Linear

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I currently have the Crucial Ballistix CL4's got them upto 510MHz @ 1.9v with my e6600, so they're good overclockers (those sticks are the first listed here)
Nice OC :)

Heh, half forgot to mention thats before the DDR conversion, so they're actually running at 1020MHz DDR