Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth it to buy a factory overclocked GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2007 1:53:36 PM

As far as I can tell, these are exactly the same card. Even the same cooling?

Standard Specs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Factory Overclocked
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the standard card, save yourself a few bucks and overclock it yourself?

Thanks.
April 16, 2007 1:58:27 PM

to me that looks like too big a price jump for that sorta o/c.

you could just try it yourself.
April 16, 2007 3:57:40 PM

The big thing that people talk about w/a factory OCed gpu is that you get the power of OC along WITH the warranty of the company..
Related resources
April 16, 2007 4:24:35 PM

you should probably just overclock yourself, although some factory overclocked cards offer better cooling so its up to you to make the decision whether or not to buy vs heat issues.
April 16, 2007 4:31:03 PM

Quote:
The big thing that people talk about w/a factory OCed gpu is that you get the power of OC along WITH the warranty of the company..

yea, I agreed. Somewhere along the line, I heard that companies like EVGA handpicked those oc version cards and sell it at a premium.
If you don't want oc card, then check this card out.
http://www.buy.com/prod/PNY_XLR8_GeForce_8800GTS_320MB_...
PNY 8800gts 320mb for 215$ after 20$ MIR and 15$ off coupon around the web. Now that's a bargain. I don't know how will 8600gts ever going to sell at a price of ~$200 when 8800gts 320mb are just around the corner.
April 16, 2007 4:39:50 PM

In this case you'll be paying a mere $15 for a factory guaranteed 15% OC on the core and a 6% OC on the memory. If you aren't someone who likes to overclock their components than this can be a great deal for the added performance. But if you plan on overclocking the card further there are still potential advantages to buying a factory OC'd card. Although it doesn't look like its the case with this card, some come with improved cooling. For example, my eVGA 7800GT CO has a copper heatsink whereas the stock clocked model had an aluminum heatsink. Also, since the card comes OC'd it could have more headroom for additional overclocking since it needs to be stable at higher clocks than a stock clocked card.

-mcg
April 16, 2007 5:20:52 PM

From what I've read It's very hard to get to the same level of OC as the factory OC.
And there is all the things people have already wrote like better cooling and warranty.
I think it's worth the money (tough I don't have experience with that specific card) especially if you buy the non OC card and then a HS to OC it...
April 16, 2007 6:53:49 PM

I saw that deal on the PNY card this morning. Was just about to go purchase it, but now its selling for $349.98. Now it's a very overpriced deal........
April 16, 2007 8:38:33 PM

sigh... this is life, chance come and goes. Should have got it when the moment is right. I'm not just talking about you, I'm talking about my self too. I was in school when I saw this deal, then as soon as I got home, it's gone. sigh...
April 16, 2007 11:52:25 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the standard card, save yourself a few bucks and overclock it yourself?

Buying the standard card would make more sense to me.
April 17, 2007 12:17:02 AM

Quote:
From what I've read It's very hard to get to the same level of OC as the factory OC.

ROTFLMAO. Every card I have ever owned that had a factory oc version I was able to oc my standard version way above and beyond that of the meager oc of the factory version.

These companies rape you for something that a freakin chimp could do.
April 17, 2007 12:28:53 AM

So you acknowledge that you're a freaking chimp?

Most factory o/cs are attainable from a normal retail card, but some manufacturers have their own cooling in place allowing even higher clocks.

One important point about overclocking - if you're doing it to gain a couple of extra fps in a 'modern' game, it may not be worth it for the noise / power it results in for the difference you see. However if it is for a slightly older game, where you could realistically see a gain of 30 to 45fps, then as it is a real 'visible' difference, it is of more value.
April 17, 2007 12:41:21 AM

haha.. most of the time it is easy to get past a factory OC.. and correct me if im wrong.. but doesn't evga cover the OC of their cards?? I know they cover replacement heatsinks as long as you return the original in good condition with a defective card...
!