Sign in with
Your question

Ideas on case fans and psu fans: replacing

Last response: in Components

How do you cool your pc?

Total: 13 votes

• I don''t really care, I just use the stock fans.
  • 16 %
  • I am picky with my fan purchases, I want decent cooling.
  • 47 %
  • I am a cooling freak, I want the best.
  • 24 %
  • I go crazy when it comes to cooling, I''ll even mod my case if I have to.
  • 16 %
April 16, 2007 2:36:35 PM

So i had this idea the other day that if i replaced my psu's 120mm fan with a better one i could decrease the ambient temps in my case and therefore decrease component temps. I took apart my psu and replaced the crappy stock fan with a better one from my case. Not only does my psu feel cooler my temps lowered a bit. So now my question is: what are your experiences on getting the best 120mm case fans. Im looking to make my case as cool as possible so i want to replace my fans with better models. Any suggestions for case fans that cost anywhere from $1-15 that have a great balance of airflow and noise levels. Ive checked newegg and such but the case fans that seem good have mixed reviews so I don't know what to get. Also, what do you guys think about slot coolers and fan cards, do they help?
April 16, 2007 3:29:21 PM

yeah that much is clear to me, but since i dont buy fans all that often i dont know what brands to stay away from and what brands to look for. I just recently bought a 5.25" bay cooler because i dont feel like i have enough front cooling (only 1 120mm) and it seems that Scythe makes some pretty good products. I'll keep doing some research on it. Yeah i know some of you think im going crazy here but I want to find good cooling if i want my keep my case and its insides working at optimal conditions
April 16, 2007 3:49:03 PM

Personally, I find Noctua and SilentX to be the most dominant in the silent fan region. They come at a price however, but from the reviews I have seen, they really are worth the 20-22 dollars each. But since your price range is $1-15, I would suggest some Silverstone 120mm Fan(s).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck :D 
Related resources
April 16, 2007 3:50:19 PM

Scythe's S-flex 120's are really good fans - they don't make bearing noise when you slow them down with a speed controller. Nexxus is highly recommended for the quietest fans - but I've never tried them.
April 16, 2007 4:20:41 PM

thanks for all the replies! ive just recently become obsessed with proper cooling so im trying to do the most i can on a poor college kid budget. This is of course because i recently bought a good case and i want to make it efficient cooling for several generations (as long as atx doesnt die)
April 16, 2007 4:27:09 PM

This may be a little off topic...

When you replaced your PSU fan what orientation did you put it in? Is it sucking case air and blowing it into the PSU and out the back or is it sucking air through the PSU from outside and blowing it into the case?

Mine sucks air from outside and blows it into the case...and right onto my graphics card since my PSU is at the bottom. I've been thinking about turning the fan around so it sucks air from the case and blows it out the back. The only thing stopping me right now is the PSU is only a month old and don't want to void the warranty by opening it up right now.

Anyone have experience switching the flows around in the PSU and what did you find out?

Thanks!
April 16, 2007 4:47:19 PM

since my psu is at the top of my case i have it sucking air out of the case and into the psu and then out the back of the psu, which should be the best option anyway because the only thing you are doing having the psu fan blowing air into the case is heating up your case. You actually have somewhat of an advantage to your psu's orientation since the cold air at the bottom of the case will go into the psu keeping it cooler than it would be if it were oriented at the top of the case where hot air from the heatsink and mobo will enter.

I didnt really have any trouble re-orienting the fan either. I just took apart my psu and was careful not to break anything, I then unscrewed the stock fan and put in a better case fan. I am by no means a super tech-savvy guy so anyone who knows how to use a screw driver can do it without breaking anything as long as they are somewhat careful. It was a little tricky putting it back together since it was arranged in 4 pieces but i managed. i also placed some plastic cards where air was leaking out of the psu and into my case. It kept the airflow strictly into the psu and out the vents on the side and back of my case.
April 16, 2007 5:52:31 PM

Quote:
since my psu is at the top of my case i have it sucking air out of the case and into the psu and then out the back of the psu, which should be the best option anyway because the only thing you are doing having the psu fan blowing air into the case is heating up your case. You actually have somewhat of an advantage to your psu's orientation since the cold air at the bottom of the case will go into the psu keeping it cooler than it would be if it were oriented at the top of the case where hot air from the heatsink and mobo will enter.

I didnt really have any trouble re-orienting the fan either. I just took apart my psu and was careful not to break anything, I then unscrewed the stock fan and put in a better case fan. I am by no means a super tech-savvy guy so anyone who knows how to use a screw driver can do it without breaking anything as long as they are somewhat careful. It was a little tricky putting it back together since it was arranged in 4 pieces but i managed. i also placed some plastic cards where air was leaking out of the psu and into my case. It kept the airflow strictly into the psu and out the vents on the side and back of my case.

I'm sure I could do it easily...there is just a big "Void Warranty" sticker laid across the PSU that would stop me from changing the fan around. I think I'll still do it...it's worked for a month so I don't know if I need the warranty any more...it should last now.
April 16, 2007 7:33:04 PM

i went with 3x120 Scythe S-Flex F series and undervolted the front and side intake to make them a little more quiet.

i got them from an insider, but Newegg offers a volume discount on these, i believe.
!