Intel paying Dell to not use AMD = actually true?

Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/03/dell-facing-investor-lawsuit-over-shady-intel-kickbacks/

I thought it was just a rumor.
If it's not a rumor, then Intel should blatantly be boycotted by any enduser that cares even slightly about affordable processors and fair competition in the processor segment.

AMD/ATI only from now on for me. (if this turns out to be true that is...)

What do you all think, did Intel play foul?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/03/dell-facing-investor-lawsuit-over-shady-intel-kickbacks/

If it's not a rumor, then Intel should blatantly be boycotted by any enduser that cares even slightly about affordable processors and fair competition in the processor segment.

ZZZZZZZZZZ

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006

well Intel has been using few questionable business model to help them succeed...but not to the point where everyone should jump and scream no to them.

AMD has been very active in calling Intel foul, mainly because it's Intel's only competitor (duh :p ). but most of the time it turns out Intel's conduct was no more unethical than AMD's.

example: Intel uses Specfp_rate 2000 to tout its Xeon MP over Opteron. AMD claimed using a 6~7 year old benchmark system is unethical, since the newer Specfp_rate 2006 is already out.

Link

but as you can see here AMD also uses Specfp_rate 2000 to tout its new Barcelona lineups. it really makes you wonder what AMD's doing.

as of Dell, AMD has some supply problems to most OEMs itself. since this would probably be the first time AMD gets so many attention from large OEMs, they did not have the production volume to feed every OEMs.

that's one of the many reasons that aided in AMD's sharp decline, along with its inferior processor lineups, and poor management.

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
i see it here: Suit: Intel paid Dell up to $1 billion a year not to use AMD chips http://money.cnn.com/blogs/legalpad/2007/02/suit-intel-paid-dell-up-to-1-billion_15.html

Of coarse intel played flow and in in so many other ways, eg:
AMD Japan Files Claim for Damages Arising from Violations of Japan’s Antimonopoly Act Against Intel K.K. in Tokyo High Court and Tokyo District Court
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~99765,00.html
or how about japn the country bans intel :)
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Japan_Gov_Bans_Intel.pdf
OR Dell, Sony, Hitachi, NEC, Acer and Fujitsu..... http://www.out-law.com/page-5856
Intel pressured and payed off many other companys as well but when told to reveil there emails intel says they lost them cause staff was not trained to make back ups ...WHATTTTT intel staff cant backup WTH, bs all the way.
hope they get busted.
At least dell and some other companies and doing the switch now and telling intel where to put there cpu's :lol:

viperabyss
I dont believe amd has inferior processor lineups, and poor management.
its always been, one gets ahead then the other beats them and back and forth, as far as management those guys took amd from nothing to starting to kick intels ass then intel had to do all this BS to win back market share.
Who cares about Specfp_rate 2000 anyway we will find out whos the best when we test the cpu's/gpu's against some kick ass games.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Do you really believe that amd wouldn't do the same thing if the positions were reversed? Its all well and good to think otherwise, but they'd do it in a heartbeat.

On a speculative sidenote, it might have been good since it seems like amd can't keep up production for OEMs and end-users like us. At least back then we got cpus pretty quickly. :)

There really is no proof needed aside from what a has already been documented to show that Intel did engage in some shenanigans. Hell, the fact that Dell started advertising computers with AMD procs shortly after the charges were brought against Intel just shows that they were manipulating the market.

AMD has been very active in calling Intel foul, mainly because it's Intel's only competitor (duh :p ). but most of the time it turns out Intel's conduct was no more unethical than AMD's.

example: Intel uses Specfp_rate 2000 to tout its Xeon MP over Opteron. AMD claimed using a 6~7 year old benchmark system is unethical, since the newer Specfp_rate 2006 is already out.

You're kidding right?! This is a very poor comparison. Using a benchmark as an example of unethical behavior is NOTHING compared to the documented instances where Intel pedalled influence, offered OEM's "buyers incentives" to use use only Intel procs, and then took steps to hide wrong-doings.

Fact is tho, Intel has deep enough pockets to where they can pay off the politicians and any fines incurred as a result of the suits. At the very least, it will level the playing field a keep the industry in check for while.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
There is little that Intel won't do to wipe AMD off the map. Let us hope that never happens, or we will be paying through the roof for Intel's products.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
There is little that Intel won't do to wipe AMD off the map. Let us hope that never happens, or we will be paying through the roof for Intel's products.

MHmmm.. im speculative that AMD would to the same deal if they were the GIANT.. But I'm not suprised about this Dell/Intel deal. I had always thought it.. but never looked into it really.. Meh It seems to me that intel likes to play dirty...

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

How could anyone have NOT thought this was true.... it was a known fact that Intel was providing incentives to many OEM's for exclusive deals. The Dell deal was a little more than what was suspected but no real surprise.

Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Do you really believe that amd wouldn't do the same thing if the positions were reversed? Its all well and good to think otherwise, but they'd do it in a heartbeat.

On a speculative sidenote, it might have been good since it seems like amd can't keep up production for OEMs and end-users like us. At least back then we got cpus pretty quickly. :)

I honestly think AMD would not do the same, even IF AMD would be as "nasty" as intel, for the simple reason that you have to be slightly silly to think sneaky deals like this will not come out in time and damage the reputation of a company severely.

I am not the only person who will refrain from buying any more intel chips.

Further more I don't think AMD has as sneaky leadership as intel, but that can also mean AMD is better at PR.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007

I honestly think AMD would not do the same, even IF AMD would be as "nasty" as intel, for the simple reason that you have to be slightly silly to think sneaky deals like this will not come out in time and damage the reputation of a company severely.

I am not the only person who will refrain from buying any more intel chips.

Further more I don't think AMD has as sneaky leadership as intel, but that can also mean AMD is better at PR.

Hmm... I've used that excuse to not buy intel chips in the past.. but without much backup.. but I think I will look into that shady dealing that I have suspected for quiet some time..

Would it surprise me? No. Would I lose sleep? Depends on how strong this coffee is. Will I boycott? You've lost your bloody marbles if you think so. Do I think AMD pulls some shady shit, but gets away with it on the sole basis of being the "victim" company? You'd better believe it.

Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hmmmm
That all companies are all about the money, doesn't mean that all companies resort to retarded crap like intel does.

Maybe AMD did similar things and covered them up well, who knows?
Maybe President Bush is into animalsex.
If so, at least they have the decency to not make me find out.

I lost what respect I had for intel, they're not getting my money anymore.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I'm fairly surprised how many people have not seem to have heard about this. This was big news almost 2 years ago now. Intel PR seems to be doing a damn fine job of quickly sweeping negative publicity under the table! :lol:

randomizer

Champion
What makes you think we havent heard this. Its expected, large companies do what they want and usually get away with it. All they need to do if they get caught is sack a few CEOs (who take the blame with them) and hire some new ones. End of lawsuit. Then they go and do something else.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Hmmmm
That all companies are all about the money, doesn't mean that all companies resort to retarded crap like intel does.

Well then following that logic, you should investigate every product you own and look at their business practices. I'd say you probably will have to throw away half the stuff you own. So you would encourage these "shady" deals unless they got caught? Sorry, but that seems somewhat contradictory to me.

Shrug, its your opinion, so if you want to boycott intel, go for it. :)
I'm heading back to the threads where people need help.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

It sounds to me like it was a very good idea and perfectly legal. Let me know if anything comes out of any of these lawsuits, to my knowledge nothing has.

And I agree with you, YOU should only buy AMD processors from now on. :lol:

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
In our country you can hardly see any AMD products. But when AMD released Athlon64, we got them for office work compared to Intel P4 back then. Intel is still expensive in our place. Intel holds over 90% of shops here.

Jakc

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hmmmm

Well then following that logic, you should investigate every product you own and look at their business practices. I'd say you probably will have to throw away half the stuff you own. So you would encourage these "shady" deals unless they got caught? Sorry, but that seems somewhat contradictory to me.

Shrug, its your opinion, so if you want to boycott intel, go for it. :)
I'm heading back to the threads where people need help.

I don't pretend to be able to know everything about every company, I can only act on the info that I do get.
Maybe AMD also does bad things, and if I find out I will act on it, but so far I have no reason to believe amd is playing dirty as intel.

"Maybe AMD does the same" is like saying "maybe some people in jail are innocent". Maybe is irrelevant without any specific information/proof to back it up.