Sign in with
Your question

Site to Site VPn

Last response: in Networking
March 14, 2007 2:50:12 PM

I Have two sites currently connected using demand dial on server 2003. I also have to vpn routers that I am not currently using. My vpn is working fine but I have some questions.

1) Can i use the same subnets on both sides of the tunnel. The reason I ask is we have some hardware that will not cross subnets and I would like to get it working. ex.. Remote projector

2) Would it be better to use the hardware instead of the windows services to handle this task

3) I had a grat deal of trouble getting Routing working properly on my current setup. I actually called Microsoft for assistance (hate that). I am not a routing guru at all but I would think it shouldnt take three hours on the phone to get it setup. Is there a guide somewhere that I could use to help me understand what I need to do in the way of configuring my routing tables.

Thanks Very Much

More about : site site vpn

March 14, 2007 5:50:33 PM

Quote:

1) Can i use the same subnets on both sides of the tunnel. The reason I ask is we have some hardware that will not cross subnets and I would like to get it working. ex.. Remote projector

Yes. you can use the same subnet on both sides

Quote:

2) Would it be better to use the hardware instead of the windows services to handle this task

I personally avoid Microsoft VPN at all costs. But that is a personal preference. It is reliable and for the most part as secure as the rest. If i were in your shoes (depending on what you're VPN equipment is) I would switch over to the hardware VPN solution. It helps troubleshoot issues later and will take the function load off of your server.

Quote:

3) I had a grat deal of trouble getting Routing working properly on my current setup. I actually called Microsoft for assistance (hate that). I am not a routing guru at all but I would think it shouldnt take three hours on the phone to get it setup. Is there a guide somewhere that I could use to help me understand what I need to do in the way of configuring my routing tables.

What types of VPN routers are you using? This will help assist us in giving you a good link. Also when in doubt do a wiki search or look here: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/...

Best of luck...
March 14, 2007 6:04:10 PM

Cool I thought I could use the same subnet but I wasnt sure. Will this simplify routing between the sites.

We have Linksys VPN routers but I am not using them at the moment. I would prefer using them to my current solution but I could never get them working properly. (I know this is because I couldnt get the routing tables right.)

Thanks for your response I really appretiate it.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 14, 2007 6:44:44 PM

hey thats what we are here for... Linksys VPN's are touchy... I prefer Cisco or Sonicwall TZ170's.
I'll see if i can hunt down an article on Linksys routing that i used to have.
PM me if you need any additional help

Best of luck...
Denver
March 23, 2007 7:24:51 PM

Technically if you are using the same subnet on both sides of the VPN you are bridging, not routing. While this may sound a bit like splitting hairs, it becomes really important when you want to have something like your projector work through the VPN (which sounds kinda cool by the way). Another example would be accessing a Netgear SC101 through the VPN.

If you had Linux running on your VPN servers instead of Windows, you could do this easily with OpenVPN. There are actually very good Howto sites for this. Not sure off-hand if any consumer routers support bridge-vpns.
March 23, 2007 7:33:47 PM

Bridge Hmmm never thought of that shows how long its been since I had to set something up like this.

A bridge would make it appear as tho all the network resources were local if I am not mistakin right ?

Yes the projector is very cool we use it to display autocad drawings from our pei office in our calgary office for discussions.
I am going to setup a seperate tunnel on seperate equipment for testing to see if i can get this to work properly.

Thanks for the bridge thing never occurred to me to try that for this purpose. you probably just saved me a whole lot of headaces
!