Sign in with
Your question

Using an external ext2 usb HD drive in XP?

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
November 3, 2006 1:11:20 AM

I have a 500gb external usb WD hard drive plugged into my router for simple NAS, and it seems to list large directories faster when formatted in ext2. Problem is, I can only access it through TCP/IP or linux.

I've tried 3 different Windows XP ext2 drivers and none will recognize a plug and play event. Any ideas?
November 3, 2006 12:23:40 PM

This page seems to detail the issue you are refering to. I'd give this one a go and follow these instructions.
November 11, 2006 12:06:23 PM

The issue on that page was for that specific software and it concerned having the drive letter stick around AFTER the USB drive was disconnected, not the OP's problem of having the USB drive recognized in the first place.
Related resources
November 11, 2006 12:07:54 PM

Quote:
I have a 500gb external usb WD hard drive plugged into my router for simple NAS, and it seems to list large directories faster when formatted in ext2. Problem is, I can only access it through TCP/IP or linux.

I've tried 3 different Windows XP ext2 drivers and none will recognize a plug and play event. Any ideas?
I am using a ext3 formatted USB drive attached to a small NAS for backup. I am investigating the same issue as you - in the even the NAS fails, how do I attach the ext3 drive to recover the backups.

What software have you tried that did NOT work?

Have you made any progress in this since your original post?
November 12, 2006 9:04:55 PM

Quote:
I am using a ext3 formatted USB drive attached to a small NAS for backup. I am investigating the same issue as you - in the even the NAS fails, how do I attach the ext3 drive to recover the backups.

Worst case senario you could always put the disc in a second PC and boot it from a knopix disc and share it out over samba. Ugly but a disaster recovery plan of sorts..

Quote:

What software have you tried that did NOT work?

Have you made any progress in this since your original post?

I thought there were some good ext2/3 drivers out there now for Win2k XP. Have you tried Ext2 IFS. It supports both Ext2/3.
November 13, 2006 4:51:18 AM

i've used a few ext3 drivers under win2000, but not many of them seemed to work.
basically, we had a working linux ext3 system on a CF card, and wanted to copy files over to other CF cards using a card reader under win2000.
We tried pretty much every driver found by googling 'windows ext3 driver'
The main problem, we eventually figured out, was that the windows drivers didn't update the journal properly (lacking a 'sync' command didn't help), and anything we wrote got wiped next time we booted it under linux. (dunno if ext2 would be different though)

but when we plugged it in, it appeared under mycomputer straight away, no manual mounting or rebooting needed (is it even possible to manually mount using windows?)
November 13, 2006 5:02:57 PM

What I was refering to in that article was using the IFS settings under the Control Panel to try to force a refresh of the VFS(I am assuming that's what is done to assign a letter under Windows' VFS layer), essentially I was refering to the specific line
Quote:
After you have connected an USB drive to the computer and have created a drive letter with the "IFS Drives" item of the control panel...

It's strange that they would say something like that in terms initialization when it contradicts DrCroubie's experience, so I don't really know what to tell you.
!