slowsupercomputer

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I have an odd problem with my comp and im not sure if it is software or hardware related. if i hit shutdown it will turn off the comp and then i just hit the power button. however, if i hit restart everything seems to turn off except for the fans (like normal restarts) but then it just hangs there and wont startup. no error messages or beeps. nothing. i have to hit the power button, wait a few seconds and then hit the power button. then windows starts up like nothing happened. ive tried googling this problem but i cant find anything related to what is happening to my comp.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
strange your problem,i also experience it some times,
but it is nothing at all.
as i said sometimes most of times it works fine.
my pc needs a lot of time to do a restart.
for how long if you hit restart your pc does not responds,
maby the time is too short,or
the pc has already shotdown and restarted ,your screen remaing black.
do not face it as aproblem.

slowsupercomputer

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
i use avg antivirus and every day i need to restart the computer. it will just sit there with the monitor off. i hit restart and i come back 2 hours later and it is still not running. keyborad does not respond and the monitor is off because it is not recieving a signal (like when the comp is off) however the fans are still running. i havent formated my system in over 2 years and maby something has happened but im not sure if it is software or hardware related.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
i haven't format my hd for 5 years,so this is not the problem.
i can't think for a reason now why this happens,
but instead of restart you can use shotdown,
and then open the pc normaly.
its the same proces.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yeah i get the same problem sometimes...gigabyte board n' all, i hit shutdown or restart but it doesn't go all the way through, goes to a point where it's safe to manually power off or reboot without doing file system damage though

i think it's an issue with the ACPI in the bios or something like that...kinda learned to live it by now i guess, which sorta sux cuz if i remote in and do stuff and reboot the machine, i may not be able to reconnect to it again cuz it's not really reboot without user intervention

if you're suspecting it's windows, since the regular reboot/shutdown doesn't work out sometimes, try using the shutdown /i command in cmd.exe to see if it makes a difference

rabababa

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
I have this problem, also. I also use AVG, which someone mentioned. It doesn't matter whether I try restart or shutdown.

I used to get a frozen cursor, mostly when surfing the net. This has happened less or maybe not at all since I upgraded Firefox from 1.5 to the new 2.0. The cursor would freeze for a while, then it would work for a while. If I ignored the problem and just tried to work when I could, it got worse.

But the improvement in the frozen cursor problem didn't help the shutdown /reboot problem. I'll have to try that shutdown/i to see if it helps.

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
I have an odd problem with my comp and im not sure if it is software or hardware related. if i hit shutdown it will turn off the comp and then i just hit the power button. however, if i hit restart everything seems to turn off except for the fans (like normal restarts) but then it just hangs there and wont startup. no error messages or beeps. nothing. i have to hit the power button, wait a few seconds and then hit the power button. then windows starts up like nothing happened. ive tried googling this problem but i cant find anything related to what is happening to my comp.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Have you considered the fact that it could be a bios issue? I had a very similar problem after I tried to update the bios on my motherboard this weekend. Fixed it now but before I was having all kinds of problems rebooting.

Perhaps try either upgrading or downgrading the bios to a different version and see if that helps the matter.

This might not be the problem but it could also be the reason, strange that a bunch of people using AVG are having similar issues though...

Check the other forums for explanations on how to flash bios safely etc, I screwed mine up temporarily so I am not going to give any advice on that me thinks :)

slowsupercomputer

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I just tried Knoppix. when rebooting with that i have the same problem, and when i change things in the bios and it resets the comp it will hang there. so i dont think that the problem is AVG or windows. it must be hardware. ive got one question though. i dont have a floppy drive, do they make bios revisions that can be put on a cd?

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
what motherboard are u using for starters, some boards have windows based bios flashing programs.

if you google you can find a way to create bootable cds the problem is however that I think you have to be in dos mode in order to flash the bios and I dont think dos will regognise your cd drive (not sure about that though)

On my Asus board I managed to get the windows asus update program to flash the bios back to an older version of the bios i updated to and solved my issues.

Check your manufacturers website to see if they have any such tools or post specs here and perhaps someone can help more than I can right now

Latest posts