DNS error on 1 pc in network of 3 computers

CELKE

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
Hi, I am using a Intel P4 3 gHz computer with XP home and COMODO firewall in a wired network. My other computers use XP Pro (Athlon 64) with Panda firewall and P2 Win ME with no firewall. Only my P4 changes the internal IP from 172.19.3.3 to 169.254.157.110 for no reason. It states DNS error and ipconfig can't recall the wright ip adress. The other computers works fine with internet, natwork and email.
I have checked on virusses and spyware and found nothing that solved the problem. Several times I could help myself with systemreset in XP. This works no more or only for a few minutes.
I can't find anything in the internet about this subject, so please help if you have a clue. :?:
Thanks
Celke

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hi, I am using a Intel P4 3 gHz computer with XP home and COMODO firewall in a wired network. My other computers use XP Pro (Athlon 64) with Panda firewall and P2 Win ME with no firewall. Only my P4 changes the internal IP from 172.19.3.3 to 169.254.157.110 for no reason. It states DNS error and ipconfig can't recall the wright ip adress. The other computers works fine with internet, natwork and email.
I have checked on virusses and spyware and found nothing that solved the problem. Several times I could help myself with systemreset in XP. This works no more or only for a few minutes.
I can't find anything in the internet about this subject, so please help if you have a clue. :?:
Thanks
Celke

The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address is the default IP that is assigned when a network card loses connectivity or its IP address.
I have a couple of questions for you that should help the group help you.

1. Does your computer show "connected" status?
2. Have you tried assigning a static IP for the network card?
3. Do you have an additional NIC to put in the troubled computer?

CELKE

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
First thanks for helping.
1. Yes the computer shows 'connected'
2. I have tried once to set the internal IP manualy. But that didn't work so I turned that off again
3. No, I assume you mean a additional network card.

But..... What's helping me now for almost 3 hours is to disconnect the comodo firewall and put on the windows XP firewall. so far so good. Could it be the Comodo firewall, although in the beginning it worked fine...

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hey if it works i would leave it. Another trick instead of rebooting to get an IP address is.
Click start
-select Run
-type: cmd
*DOS screen will open
type: ipconfig /release
*will show 0.0.0.0 or error
then type: ipconfig /renew
*will wait a couple of seconds and either give you an IP address or error

This can help you troubleshoot further.

Best of luck

CELKE

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
okay thanks again.

By the way. Ipconfig /release and /renew i already tried with no succes.
If it stays working with XP firewall I leave it this way.

G

same problem here. 2 pc on a network with a swicht linked to a router. 1 pc ok. Other pc limited or no conectivity. Dns error 169.254.138.54. ipconfig release/renew/flushdns no success. Ping 127.0.0.1 ok. Windows xp firewall disable. Network card drivers was reinstalled. Could be some problem with Windows Xp last update? thanks

TRENDING THREADS