Did Bios update 1.3 - Lost windows?!?

sjjn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
K9N Diamond Mobo
250 GB SATA drive
2gb OCZ memory
AMD Athlon 5200

Used Live Monitor to update Bios yesterday (I've done this twice before since building the system with no problems), Closed down all runnng programs including Norton, after the reboot/flash Computer no longer recognizes the operating system. Got a mesage about a corrupt hal.dll file, now just getting a message that says no operating system detected.
The Bios version reads 1.3, and from a boot cd I can see the files on the drive.

I'm gonna install XP onto a new drive and see if I can copy files off the SATA drive but anyone got any help on this, before I reinstall XP...

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
You could try doing a repair install of windows. This leaves all your programs and files intact. You would just need to reinstall all the windows updates again. I've done this a couple times with no problems.

sjjn

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
You could try doing a repair install of windows. This leaves all your programs and files intact. You would just need to reinstall all the windows updates again. I've done this a couple times with no problems.

Doesn't that option overwrite the "My Documents" Folder? Unfortunately I've just moved everything (Music, Pictures etc..) in to that folder and don't want to lose that info.

If that's not the case, I would do that.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I am fairly sure it doesn't. I can't say it won't with 100% certainly since it's been a long time since I did it. But I don't remember loosing any of my stuff. Search google and microsoft's website for more info on windows repair install.