First Build help. No power on?

rowdybeans

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
I'm having trouble with my new build. It's all plugged in and ready to go. I've got power going to the motherboard as there is a red light on it. But won't power up anything else? I've tried re-inserting the power on/off cables, and turning them round the other way? But still no luck.

Perhaps I am doing something simple wrong?

Any help gratefully recieved.

rowdybeans

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
There is a red light by the 24 pin, but not the 12v? I've double checked all power lead connections and can see nothing wrong?

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
No. Nothing is working, the only sign of life is the red light on the motherboard.

can you list your complete system specs, including power supply...

there's no need to reverse the power and reset switches, as they're just momentary switches (they just temporarily connect a circuit to signal that the power supply needs to turn on and supply the components with power)

rowdybeans

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
Foxconn S775 945G7MD

Silverstone SIL LC11S-300 Dtop 300w PSU

Liteon x16 SATA DVD writer

Intel E6300 Core2Duo 1.86GHz

250G Maxtor STM3250820A SATA2

1G DDR2 667 RAM

Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVBPro PCI

EDIMAX 54Mbps PCI Wireless Card 11g/11b

Akasa AK960E S775 Heatpipe DCo

SStone RC01 PCIeRiser for LC11

256MB Gigabyte 7600GT PCI-E

The power supply was supplied with the case. If you need any further details then please let me know.

No. Nothing is working, the only sign of life is the red light on the motherboard.

can you list your complete system specs, including power supply...

there's no need to reverse the power and reset switches, as they're just momentary switches (they just temporarily connect a circuit to signal that the power supply needs to turn on and supply the components with power)

Good!

This means that there is an issue with one of the basic components, and it should be the mobo (something lose).

What you need to do is: Unplug everything not required to boot (i.e. all PCI cards, all drives).

Now, turn on ? same effect?
Next: Remove memory and turn on. If there is still no power to the system or CPU fans, then:

Reseat the CPU. I would recomend also applying new Thermal paste if you have a lil container of it.

Still nothing?

Could be the motherboard itself.

At this point. The CPU/PSU/or mobo could be at fault. The PSU is the easiest to replace (and you can return it if it does not fix your issue). After that, send your mobo back RMA.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
take everything out of the case including the power supply,

recheck and assemble the following components on an ESD-safe surface:

MOBO w/processor-HSF
keyboard
RAM
vid card
monitor
power supply

if it will turn on now and let you into BIOS then you probably had the MOBO shorted to the case, if it won't then you've narrowed down the possible list of parts to check or RMA

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Foxconn S775 945G7MD
Silverstone SIL LC11S-300 Dtop 300w PSU
Liteon x16 SATA DVD writer
Intel E6300 Core2Duo 1.86GHz
250G Maxtor STM3250820A SATA2
1G DDR2 667 RAM
Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVBPro PCI
EDIMAX 54Mbps PCI Wireless Card 11g/11b
Akasa AK960E S775 Heatpipe DCo
SStone RC01 PCIeRiser for LC11
256MB Gigabyte 7600GT PCI-E

The power supply was supplied with the case. If you need any further details then please let me know.

chances are your power supply is dead... just because you're getting power to the board doesn't mean it's the right power... it takes ~.2 amps to turn a LED light on... i can illuminate LEDs by dragging my socks across fresh carpet while holding a lead in each hand...

try a replacement power supply.

rowdybeans

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
I've now got it working. All seems fine, but there seems to be a problem with the power switch on the case, the only way to switch it on is to trip it with screwdriver on the two pins.

My question now is how do I go about fixing this, or would it be easier to send the case back as faulty?

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
the power on button on the case is just a momentary contact switch, technically you could use the "reset button" in place of the power on button.

I don't know of a place to buy replacement power on buttons so I think you would have to RMA the case or contact the maker of the case to see if they will send you a replacement button.

rowdybeans

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2007
I've found out it was a problem with the connections inside the little black plastic things and have just used a bit of solder to attach to the pins.

Thanks all for the help.