Intel Announces Core 2 Duo "On Steroids"?

Core 2 Duo with Automatic Overclocking - APCMag
Quote:
Intel today announced new details of its forthcoming Santa Rosa PC platform, including a significant revision of the Core 2 Duo chip.

"We call this processor Core 2 Duo but really it's Core 2 Duo on steroids. This microprocessor is going to be more powerful than the previous generation," said Intel's mobility chief, Mooly Eden.

The new chips will be able to overclock one of the cores if the other core is not being used.

"The idea is the following," explained Eden. "If you are running a single threaded application, one of the cores can go to sleep, and the left over power can be used by the other core - we give it a turbo boost; the ability to run faster than it used to.

"This is not overclocking. Overclocking is when you take a chip and increase its clock speed and run it out of spec. This is not out of spec. Here, it is within the spec of the dual-cores, we just identify when one core is not using the headroom and we give it to the other core.

"This is called Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration Technology. We've had problems implementing it, but we've been able to do it in Santa Rosa," Eden said.

This might look a little like me pulling a 9-inch (post and running) but I've gotta bounce. Discuss please. I'll be back sometime later.
61 answers Last reply
More about intel announces core steroids
  1. A very interesting idea. Automatic hands-off overclocking. A nice and lazy way to get OC'd pefromance for those single-threaded apps. Now how 'bout some automatic OC for everday use? I like, but how much $$$?
  2. This is one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas in my book. Now that they mention it, it seems like an obvious thing to do to get the best of both worlds.
  3. It is a very smart idea. By using it , they will archieve better performance for single - threaded apps , while keeping power consumption low. It is interesting , however , how large will "dynamic overclocking" be :)
  4. Wow amazing Intel invented Cool n' Quiet.
  5. Quote:
    Wow amazing Intel invented Cool n' Quiet.

Pardon me, but isn't Cool n' Quiet dynamic underclocking? This seems to be different.
  6. Can they do this same thing with Quad chips. If only two are being used shut down the other two and use the "extra" power?
  7. I'm not sure. I'd wait for MU or Jack to enlighten us on this.
  8. Quote:
    Can they do this same thing with Quad chips. If only two are being used shut down the other two and use the "extra" power?

Maybe.
  9. Good idea, and as always all good ideas are welcome. But we 'd rather go straight to a carbon nanotube, optical interconnection manufacturing process and put those 300GHz diamond processors in the market and get done with. Come on people, we will only live another 20-40 years, can't wait till i am 80 to enjoy a THz processor. hehe...
    throw some money in you cheapos (CPU manufacturers)
    do it for the good of human kind (from within your good hearts maybe?)
    lol!
    nah... something tells me they will still go for the money... LOL
  10. How ya' figure?
  11. Quote:
    How ya' figure?

just a hunch...
  12. That is one of those things that will get disabled in the bios. People will just overclock it and that is it.

Maybe the average joe will see a gain, the one that never overclocks... But the way I see it is like taxing and drugs... if drugs are legal the winners are the government instead of the dealer. They are looking to fork the overclock to their gain in selling the chip as it will have a "higher" rating than initially spec'd and certified leaving the overclock to be small and slim and not providing a bang for the buck.

Don't know.. We'll see.. We would have to see it in action...

As of now... we use the full power on both cores. All we have to do is a simple test... Shut down one core in the bios and then see if you can overclock higher. If you can, then the idea will be worthwhile. If you cannot, they are taxing us.
  13. That sounds like a really cool implementation to an already well architectured CPU.

I am curious how much of an "overclock" we are talking here. I know it wont be a clockspeed thing, but I have a hunch the increase wont be a huge margin.

Ninja, nice 1 star rankings btw. I'm glad someone is wasting their time following you around 1 starring you! I hope I can get that person to care about me that much :wink:
  14. Its starting to annoy me a bit.

I'm guessing something mild, but we'll find out more soon.
  15. Yeah, will be interesting.

I haven't been keeping up, April 22nd still sounding solid for the release of E6320 etc?
  16. Quote:
    It would be cool to see AMD and Intel work together...

You know, the thought just occured to me. Maybe a repeat of 90s takeovers. Intel buying up 51% of AMD stock.
  17. I sure hope not.
  18. Last I heard, 22 is still Go.
  19. Danke. Hopefully prices will be decent in about 5 weeks when I can save up. Probably getting new memory today, buddy owes me $50 for a concert ticket and is going to buy my PQI from me for $60 as he has an identical 1GB kit.

/offtopic

What do you think of this stuff?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820144062

Good reviews, great price. Seen it hitting 900mhz consistently (450 x 9 = 4050mhz :P) and some over 1000mhz. Anyone know where I can find a list of the clockspeeds/multipliers of the new Core 2 Duo cpus?
  20. Quote:
    $129.99

What. The. Fock. I'm buying 3 sets now.
  21. Easy leave me one. Or send an extra set to me and I will do a review of 2GB vs 4GB :P
  22. *Ninja goes crazy over the ridiculously low prices...*

...... RAM REVIEW TIMEEEEE!!!!!!!

BOOYAKA BOOYAKA BOOYAKA BAMBOCLAAAAAT......
  23. Quote:
    Core 2 Duo with Automatic Overclocking - APCMag
    Intel today announced new details of its forthcoming Santa Rosa PC platform, including a significant revision of the Core 2 Duo chip.

"We call this processor Core 2 Duo but really it's Core 2 Duo on steroids. This microprocessor is going to be more powerful than the previous generation," said Intel's mobility chief, Mooly Eden.

The new chips will be able to overclock one of the cores if the other core is not being used.

"The idea is the following," explained Eden. "If you are running a single threaded application, one of the cores can go to sleep, and the left over power can be used by the other core - we give it a turbo boost; the ability to run faster than it used to.

"This is not overclocking. Overclocking is when you take a chip and increase its clock speed and run it out of spec. This is not out of spec. Here, it is within the spec of the dual-cores, we just identify when one core is not using the headroom and we give it to the other core.

"This is called Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration Technology. We've had problems implementing it, but we've been able to do it in Santa Rosa," Eden said.

This might look a little like me pulling a 9-inch (post and running) but I've gotta bounce. Discuss please. I'll be back sometime later.Intel engineers are really earning their pay, now. One good thing about this is that it won't require any vCore boosts, thereby not affecting chip-life, cooling difficulties or TDP/heat output. :)
  24. Quote:
    *Ninja goes crazy over the ridiculously low prices...*

...... RAM REVIEW TIMEEEEE!!!!!!!

BOOYAKA BOOYAKA BOOYAKA BAMBOCLAAAAAT......

damn dude... lay off the caffeine... it's messing with your head. :tongue:

Side note about stars: I bet it is Taco... he seems like the kind of guy to do that, lol j/k.
  25. 12:30 EST and to my fifth latte...

Damn, I never knew reviewing would take so much fockin time...
  26. I'm here for help when needed, you already knew though.

I haven't seen much OCing success out of that G-SKill, or I would have chose that instead. I clearly am looking for OCing ability as my current PQI would be just getting another gig pair added, rather than paying for 2 full gigs.
  27. Quote:
    12:30 EST and to my fifth latte...

Damn, I never knew reviewing would take so much fockin time...

Only if you do it right...which so far you have. :D

I'd rather be reviewing that studying governmental accounting.... talk about the worst thing you've ever read in your life.

Edit: I had GSkill RAM but I don't know the full potential of the RAM yet because my RD600 died when I moved back to college (don't ask, it was my fault lol). It is rated at PC 8000 but I bet I can get 1200 MHz out of them with all the options on my DFI. However, finding the time to OC is going to be tough... CIA/CFP/CPA certs to start studying for 8O
  28. .. Is it just me, or is this dynamic overclocking really going to stuff up real overclocking? Say for example, you OC an E4300 to a modest 3Ghz, the computer thinks, "ok, single threaded, turn off one core, and set the frequency of the other one +500mhz..." instant instability. Or, if it has preset dynamic OC, you OC your processor to a nice 3.4Ghz, but the dynamic overclocking goes, "O.o single threaded! I'll OC one core to a whopping 3GHZ and ill turn off the other!" instant lack of performance.
  29. It is most likely going to be controlled via BIOS option, like EIST. Intel can't be that narrow minded as to forget people OC C2D's.
  30. Quote:
    .. Is it just me, or is this dynamic overclocking really going to stuff up real overclocking? Say for example, you OC an E4300 to a modest 3Ghz, the computer thinks, "ok, single threaded, turn off one core, and set the frequency of the other one +500mhz..." instant instability. Or, if it has preset dynamic OC, you OC your processor to a nice 3.4Ghz, but the dynamic overclocking goes, "O.o single threaded! I'll OC one core to a whopping 3GHZ and ill turn off the other!" instant lack of performance.

The thought crossed my mind too and had me worried. Then I read up on Anandtech's IDF and it seems this feature will only be present on mobile products. Overclockers can rest easy... for now. ;)

If it is introduced into the desktop then hopefully there will be a BIOS option to switch it on/off, like Superfly03 suggested.

Does anybody know how this 'dynamic overclocking' will work? I'm guessing it'll be like EIST but in reverse - when only 1 core is loaded the multiplier goes up a notch. What do you guys reckon?
  31. "...said Intel's mobility chief, Mooly Eden."
    Mobility? So... this will be a laptop only feature?

A good feature i admit. But with pretty much every new app being written to use at least SOME of the other core, this may be something that will never be activated under its current specs.

For example, u may be playing an old game without dual core support... with one of these new C2D chips. 1. The new chip is gonna kill that old game without an oc. 2. U may be running winamp, torrent etc in the BG meaning some of the other core is still being used, the sys detects that it is in use and prevents the 'game core' from oc.

End result... it wont EVER be activated. Either change specs so it can be activated with one core below... 30%? Or just have it as one of those features that exists, but is not a selling point.
  32. More crap! dude, this is just Intel propaganda and i am the Intel fan boy!

what this is called unused cooling capacity. the modern x86 platform is 125-150w - this is simply using it (excess cooling capacity) to speed up single threaded apps - multithreaded os will negate this bs.

looks like another rambus to me!

when a chip is spec-ed it is designed to run under all conditions, temps, poor cooling etc. overclocking is optimizing the cooling and the ability of the a cpu

what intel is doing is using the excess cooling capacity in a multi-core chip - more bs!
  33. Yeah, it raises it one full multiplier, in their example. I'd find that more interesting if they'd just left everything unlocked. Does sound like other interesting power management stuff going on in turning large chunks of itself off, including cache, and (hopefully) successfully turning them back on again in a useful state. But currently a mobile thing.
  34. I ordered that yesterday, the racing orange is what made me do it. Plus i always liked geil ram. Been looking at it for weeks and watching it sell out atleast 3 times since i was watching it. :P
  35. Ninja, Jack, Anyone, Everyone...

Wot is this about Intel's Project Larrabee? Has this been covered before? Is it just more "let's make the GPU do CPU-type stuff?

Project Larrabee — Intel has begun planning products based on a highly parallel, IA-based programmable architecture codenamed "Larrabee." It will be easily programmable using many existing software tools, and designed to scale to trillions of floating point operations per second (Teraflops) of performance. The Larrabee architecture will include enhancements to accelerate applications such as scientific computing, recognition, mining, synthesis, visualization, financial analytics and health applications.

Teraflops on my desktop. Now we're talking!!! In the immortal words of Tim Allen: MORE POWER! :D
  36. This sounds a bit hokey to me. Previously, Intel and AMD provided their own concept of smart-stepping for mobile devices. The concept there is to lower CPU wattage during slow processing times to save battery life.

What they are talking about now is increasing wattage to one core if a single threaded application is running intensely? How would this be any different than the way people OC today? What about heat issues for that one CPU? Isn't CPU heat the biggest issue with OC'ing? Why not just boost the CPU wattage for all the cores as high as you can go all of the time?

Sounds like a gimmick to make the every day idiot think they are getting an OC'ing puter.
  37. Cores on seperate power and frequency already done by many chip makers - nVidia, ATI(?), Sun and to some extent by AMD. In AMD case they just need change few lines of code in K10 to achieve the same :wink: All in all such twist may be appealing to enthusiast community, although not expecting speed bump be more than 10-20% in single-threaded apps. Intel will be conservative not to "burn" cores under extreme cases as it sometimes happens to OCers :wink:

P.S. Dynamic cpu boost under heavier load was done by simple BIOS changes by several MB makers as well, like MSI.
  38. Personally I would rather see them, AMD or Intel, come out with a BIOS option to use multi-cores as one for those situations where you have older single threaded programs. It would be great to be able to make the software see a single 6GHz CPU rather than two 3GHz CPUs.
  39. Quote:
    Personally I would rather see them, AMD or Intel, come out with a BIOS option to use multi-cores as one for those situations where you have older single threaded programs. It would be great to be able to make the software see a single 6GHz CPU rather than two 3GHz CPUs.
    That was rumored to come out. The name is Reverse Hyper-Threading (rHT), This subject was tossed around alot ~ late summer 06, and many thread/arguments dealt with it.
  40. Weird double post...
  41. Quote:
    Unfortunately, even if this technology came to light, clock speeds are not additive so producing HW capable of a virtual single core will only give 30-50% improvement, not 100%.
    How'd you like 30-50% more out of that Qx6700 that you clocked so high? I think that would be more than just great. Bring it on is what I say...
  42. Quote:
    Yeah, will be interesting.

I haven't been keeping up, April 22nd still sounding solid for the release of E6320 etc?

http://www.umart.com.au - They have the 6320 listed under their CPU section.

6420 too
  43. Quote:
    Unfortunately, even if this technology came to light, clock speeds are not additive so producing HW capable of a virtual single core will only give 30-50% improvement, not 100%.
    How'd you like 30-50% more out of that Qx6700 that you clocked so high? I think that would be more than just great. Bring it on is what I say...

One is never enough! Bring on the dual socket motherboards! ARRRROOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo! :D
  44. Quote:

One is never enough! Bring on the dual socket motherboards! ARRRROOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo! :DYou can't ever get enough can you??? In the words of Asterix towards Obelix in one of the movies (can't remember which one, my gf's got the box set): "Greedy pig"
  45. If you tried to fake a super core from 2 or more cores, surely you are going to have issues with context switching etc... Wouldn't this kill a lot of the performance gains??? Not to mention the issues of keeping them in sync - a process can only a single execution path unless it is multi-threaded. Hence how can you split the workload? that is why multi-core has been developed...
  46. Would have been nice if it really was 100% the extra performance. Just OC is the answer I think.
  47. Quote:
    You can't ever get enough can you??? In the words of Asterix towards Obelix in one of the movies (can't remember which one, my gf's got the box set): "Greedy pig"

I can NEVER get enough. Ask any chick! 8)

Quote:
    I wonder if Baron will give this a look-see since he stated he always wanted a dual socket system... well, no he has a choice...

Regardless of Baron's excuses about him not yet being ready to buy any hardware at this time, his failure to join the massive throngs crowding outside PC shops demanding QFXs at any price (hehehe) really is the definitive kick in the crotch to that platform. I'd be more than happy to stick with AMD as I have for years and get a dual socket K10 rig, but only if they called in the exterminators and killed all the bugs out of QFX first.
  48. I think that the exterminators might do a better job at cleaning the bugs out of QFX than AMD
  49. I think that the exterminators might do a better job at cleaning the bugs out of QFX than AMD.

Quote:
    I can NEVER get enough. Ask any chick!

as long as you keep my sister out of it... :wink:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Core Intel Product