Modem keeps disconnecting!

Entropy_5

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
I've had my computer for 2 years now and the modem has worked fine until a few days ago. I have a Diamond Multimedia SupraSST 56i DFV.

Here's what happens. I dial it up and it connects as usual. Then I start going to webpages and everything is normal usually for a few minutes. Then, when I open a new page or click on a link the packets don't get received. Then after 30 seconds of it sitting there idle it just disconnects on me.

I have tried EVERY modem config. I have looked for spyware and adware. I have tried new cables. I have tried other ISP numbers (other people in tbis house on the same ISP are'nt having problems at all).

Could a virus do this? I did one of those online virus checks and it said I have 5 on my system, but it could not remove them. I don't have any other problems with my system and this only started a few days ago.

Could the modem just be getting old? I've tried downloading new drivers. They seem to install normally but when I go to check what version of the drivers is running it still says I have the old drivers. So I don't think they updated properly.

I have Windows ME (I know...I know) so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going out of my mind here! Is there any other information that I need to post? I'm not great with computers so if there is you'll have to briefly tell me how to get it. Please help me, this is driving me nuts!

Thanks

sturm

Splendid
Try a different modem. If that doesnt work then it may be time to do a clean install to remove the viruses.
Its possible the modem may have been damaged a little by a power spike or something.