What if you order using another laptops serial number and product numb

thenamesaysitall

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
the problem is .. im ordering with a serial number of a computer which is not owned by me.. even my computer is supposed to hav the update available.. it is in the list of eligible computers.. but.. it shows an error when i try to order..

now i hav the serial number and all for another laptop (i dont own the laptop or anything.. i got it from one of the laptop boxes!.. :D ) !.. is der a problem if i order that.. windows 7 upgrade!?..

Think about that for a second. You want to have HP send you a free upgrade to Windows 7 based on the serial of a laptop you don't own. I'm not even going to start on how illegal that is...

Call HP and tell them that you are having a problem requesting the Windows 7 upgrade for your laptop. They should be able to put the order through manually.

Actually it is illegal. You admit this fact yourself (marked in bold above). Your assessment of the situation is technically correct, when saying that he is shafting some other user by taking his entitlement to an upgrade, but that other person has already paid money for the right to that upgrade.

The OP has taken that entitlement, and thus has stolen something someone else has paid for.

I agree with you completely. It's just the way my mind works immoral is more important than illegal. I've done a few things in my time that were illegal, but I didn't think were immoral; I try not to do things that I think are immoral however legal they may or may not be.