What about Virus Removal

You got some nasties what would you prefer?

• Wipe and Reload?

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Scan and Clean?

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Buy a new computer and transfer goodies?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get rid of computer and Crawl under a rock?

• Run computer with virus?

• Total voters

meuchel

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
With the pain that virus/malware has caused lately what do you prefer to do?

I run a small computer repair business and I think cleaning systems is more of a hassle then just reloading.
Especially with cloud services and on-line backups.
What do you think?

I also run a repair business and actually like malware problems. They challenge my brain and the need to be up to date with the latest threats keeps me my toes.

I can't see how reloading, as you call it, can be easier. The best and most recent backup doesn't include installed programmes. Perhaps you customers keep a daily clone handy but mine don't - or perhaps the people who do that don't need repairers. Most of my customers weren't given any disks with their computers and didn't make reccovery sets.

meuchel

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

I guess that is understandable.
I still do the xp clean jobs but vista and 7 seemed to have improved on their profiles enough to where it is pretty slick to just backup the profile and run the oem factory recovery then reactivate and update their software and dump their data back in.
Then you have a fresh new install you can trust in about the same amount of time that it took to clean a slow computer in the first place.

If Recovery is not Possible or not an option it is still nice to stay up to date on the latest virus trends to as you put it "challenge your brain".

Thanks for you input.

while true that fresh installs are always the "best" option they are also the most troublesome as you lose all of your installed programs, drivers, settings and more. it normally takes at least a week to get the system back how you want it.

people need to get a real antivirus/firewall (not that crap norton) and be aware of their security settings. ever since i switched to kapersky quite awhile ago i've never had an issue since.

A lot of the threats I deal with are actually invited in so the protection doesn't stand a chance. People are really careless about the links they click in e-mails, etc.

By the way, I voted to "Scan and Clean" - in the absence of an option to "Consult a professional". :D :D

alexalbert

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I go with scan and clean in place of wipe and reloading. Because when i wipe and reload any thing our computer performance is go down and one more thing is that you can contact with your antivirus support team for solving your problem at any time