Cannot uninstall in Device Manager

April 19, 2005 6:11:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have something that just popped up in Device Manager, "Microsoft Tun
Miniport Adapter #2", it has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. It is in
the network adapters section. How come it will not uninstall? Why is it here
all of a sudden?

There is another one there called Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter [with no #
beside it].

Any help gratefully appreciated

Bruce
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:04:10 PM

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 02:11:28 -0600, Bruce wrote:

> I have something that just popped up in Device Manager, "Microsoft Tun
> Miniport Adapter #2", it has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. It is in
> the network adapters section. How come it will not uninstall? Why is it here
> all of a sudden?
>
> There is another one there called Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter [with no #
> beside it].
>
> Any help gratefully appreciated
>
> Bruce

From Experts-Exchange forum (who in turn are quoting info from Microsoft):
"Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter (comes with Microsoft Windows 2003 .Net
Server), a network driver that provides a tunnel with a File API interface,
through which a user-mode Windows application or service can interact with
the network stack as if the application were a network interface."

Not my area of expertise (networking) but in essence this is a "software
adapter," not physical hardware. I don't know how it gets installed but
since I don't see it on my system, would guess that it appears only if
there is other software installed that needs/uses the functionality it
offers.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In your Network Connections folder, right click on the icon for
your LAN and select Properties. If you have IPv6 listed, click on
Uninstall. Once that is done go back to Device Manager and see if
the problem device is still listed. See if you can uninstall it
now.

--
Nepatsfan