Cannot uninstall in Device Manager

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have something that just popped up in Device Manager, "Microsoft Tun
Miniport Adapter #2", it has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. It is in
the network adapters section. How come it will not uninstall? Why is it here
all of a sudden?

There is another one there called Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter [with no #
beside it].

Any help gratefully appreciated

Bruce
5 answers Last reply
More about cannot uninstall device manager
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 02:11:28 -0600, Bruce wrote:

    > I have something that just popped up in Device Manager, "Microsoft Tun
    > Miniport Adapter #2", it has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. It is in
    > the network adapters section. How come it will not uninstall? Why is it here
    > all of a sudden?
    >
    > There is another one there called Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter [with no #
    > beside it].
    >
    > Any help gratefully appreciated
    >
    > Bruce

    From Experts-Exchange forum (who in turn are quoting info from Microsoft):
    "Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter (comes with Microsoft Windows 2003 .Net
    Server), a network driver that provides a tunnel with a File API interface,
    through which a user-mode Windows application or service can interact with
    the network stack as if the application were a network interface."

    Not my area of expertise (networking) but in essence this is a "software
    adapter," not physical hardware. I don't know how it gets installed but
    since I don't see it on my system, would guess that it appears only if
    there is other software installed that needs/uses the functionality it
    offers.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    In your Network Connections folder, right click on the icon for
    your LAN and select Properties. If you have IPv6 listed, click on
    Uninstall. Once that is done go back to Device Manager and see if
    the problem device is still listed. See if you can uninstall it
    now.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "Bruce" <blaray@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have something that just popped up in Device Manager,
    >"Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter #2", it has a yellow exclamation
    >mark beside it. It is in the network adapters section. How come
    >it will not uninstall? Why is it here all of a sudden?
    >
    > There is another one there called Microsoft Tun Miniport
    > Adapter [with no # beside it].
    >
    > Any help gratefully appreciated
    >
    > Bruce

  3. accidently i added a link, where you have to login to view the topic.

    please use

    http://www.ulisoft.org/?xi=cGFnZT1zaG9wL3RvcGljX3ByaW50JnRvcGljX2lkPWU5YWY3MzU3YzY1NDU3YTE4ZTg5Y2I3MDcwMjJkOTYw

Device Manager Microsoft Customization Windows XP