WinXP ICS Failing & Explorer hanging after logon

tonycortes

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Hi, I have two problems that require your assistance. Let me start with the first.

I have a broadband connection at home on my main deskop with a static IP, which I share internet with my laptop via Wifi b/g. The desktop is set up on a Core 2 Duo System using the Asus P5W DH motherboard. I don't use a router or modem (Motorola Canopy Broadband System). I've always had a network setup at home (file sharing, printer shared, and internet connection sharing). But now with my new desktop, the laptop connects with the desktop's access point but internet connection sharing does not work after connecting, but file and printer sharing do.

HOWEVER, there is a way I can get the ICS to work. After the laptop's wifi is connected, I have to head to my desktop and use the Asus WLAN utility to "re-apply ICS" to the built-in WIFI on the motherboard. It's annoying and only lasts for that session and I need to do it all over again when I reconnect the laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2nd problem: I dont really have many details on this symptom, but that it recently started. Every single time I reboot/boot my desktop computer and I log on to WinXP Pro. The computer just hangs for a minute or two. The explorer process is running but it is not showing. Something is keeping it from displaying. I have tried killing the process and running it manually but it does the same thing. The only programs I have running at start up are Bit Defender and the Asus WIFI Utility. In safe mode, it boots fine, explorer does not hang.

Any advice would be helpful...

Thank You!

Tony

Investing in a router would be an excellent idea. Considering the recent exploit discovered with the ICS service... this makes it an even better idea. It'll be much easier to get a router configured than continue to fight with ICS.