Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I have a video file.. but it seems to be uknown extension in xp or something, so everytime I have to play it, I have to choose a program, in this case a zplayer and it plays it fine but the "always play this type of file with this program" is greyed out... I am kind of annoyed by that and was wondering if anyone know what is the problem.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
since the windows can't play that file,letting you choose the programm to play the file.
when you choose the programm ,then the option always use that program to acces the specific frile must be enabled.
it is gray as long as you did not chhose the player.
the other option is to go to your player and select default media types to open by this player.

Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
hi.
since the windows can't play that file,letting you choose the programm to play the file.
when you choose the programm ,then the option always use that program to acces the specific frile must be enabled.
it is gray as long as you did not chhose the player.
the other option is to go to your player and select default media types to open by this player.

I did that, but Windows media player is able to play it as well as zplayer, enabling associations didn't help much since player doesn't recognize the file and not show untill I select to view all files and run the file like that, and it runs flawlessly. I am just confused....

bpgordon81

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I don't know if this helps, but I have had similar situations occur. It happened when I downloaded the file from the internet. You never know if the file extension is the original one as the author created. So, if it was originally an .AVI file, and somewhere down the road of being shared so many times, someone may have renamed the extension on purpose or by accident to something else like .divX, etc... I would try renaming the extension to several different video format extensions, and then try to open after renaming each time, and see whether WM player, or whatever player you are using automatically recognizes the file without having to choose. Hope that helps.

Suzuka

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
I don't know if this helps, but I have had similar situations occur. It happened when I downloaded the file from the internet. You never know if the file extension is the original one as the author created. So, if it was originally an .AVI file, and somewhere down the road of being shared so many times, someone may have renamed the extension on purpose or by accident to something else like .divX, etc... I would try renaming the extension to several different video format extensions, and then try to open after renaming each time, and see whether WM player, or whatever player you are using automatically recognizes the file without having to choose. Hope that helps.

That was it. thanks for help.