Cannot delete *.tmp

April 19, 2005 9:01:51 PM

I went to Search and tried to delete the *.tmp files as part of regular
cleanup. But this time I was prevented. Tried several times unsuccessfully.
First I get the box:
"Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
The compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupt."
Then the supposed deletion starts in the box: "deleting from archives" which
goes on and on and cannot be cancelled or closed. I have to open Task
Manager which says "Compressed (zipped) Folders error". I end task and the
entire Search page disappears, and I have to try again, and the same thing
happens again. The icon clearly shows it is files and not Folders. I had
managed to delete a few files, but the type ~DF---.tmp are the ones giving
the problems, and cannot be deleted for the above reasons. What can I do
about it?
TIA

More about : delete tmp

April 19, 2005 11:20:30 PM

Have you tried rebooting first, then trying again? It may be still in use.

--

johnf

>I went to Search and tried to delete the *.tmp files as part of regular
> cleanup. But this time I was prevented. Tried several times
> unsuccessfully. First I get the box:
> "Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
> The compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupt."
> Then the supposed deletion starts in the box: "deleting from archives"
> which goes on and on and cannot be cancelled or closed. I have to open
> Task Manager which says "Compressed (zipped) Folders error". I end task
> and the entire Search page disappears, and I have to try again, and the
> same thing happens again. The icon clearly shows it is files and not
> Folders. I had managed to delete a few files, but the type ~DF---.tmp
> are the ones giving the problems, and cannot be deleted for the above
> reasons. What can I do about it?
> TIA
April 19, 2005 11:20:31 PM

In news:uwntNEMRFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
johnf <john_f@bigpond.net.a> had this to say:

> Have you tried rebooting first, then trying again? It may be still in
> use.
>

>> I went to Search and tried to delete the *.tmp files as part of
>> regular cleanup. But this time I was prevented. Tried several times
>> unsuccessfully. First I get the box:
>> "Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
>> The compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupt."
>> Then the supposed deletion starts in the box: "deleting from
>> archives" which goes on and on and cannot be cancelled or closed. I
>> have to open Task Manager which says "Compressed (zipped) Folders
>> error". I end task and the entire Search page disappears, and I have
>> to try again, and the same thing happens again. The icon clearly
>> shows it is files and not Folders. I had managed to delete a few
>> files, but the type ~DF---.tmp are the ones giving the problems, and
>> cannot be deleted for the above reasons. What can I do about it?
>> TIA

If the above advice doesn't do it for you there's some freeware applications
here that will go ahead and allow you to clean up your disk(s) fairly
easily.

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdiskclean.ht...

Galen
April 20, 2005 7:10:44 AM

Thanks for your response.
Yes I did that a number of times. Still same problem.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Have you tried rebooting first, then trying again? It may be still in use.
>

> --
>
> johnf
>
> >I went to Search and tried to delete the *.tmp files as part of regular
> > cleanup. But this time I was prevented. Tried several times
> > unsuccessfully. First I get the box:
> > "Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
> > The compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupt."
> > Then the supposed deletion starts in the box: "deleting from archives"
> > which goes on and on and cannot be cancelled or closed. I have to open
> > Task Manager which says "Compressed (zipped) Folders error". I end task
> > and the entire Search page disappears, and I have to try again, and the
> > same thing happens again. The icon clearly shows it is files and not
> > Folders. I had managed to delete a few files, but the type ~DF---.tmp
> > are the ones giving the problems, and cannot be deleted for the above
> > reasons. What can I do about it?
> > TIA

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 7:12:34 AM

Thanks for your response.
There's quite a number of similar ones there. Which ones would you recommend
for my particular problem?

> In news:uwntNEMRFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> johnf <john_f@bigpond.net.a> had this to say:

> > Have you tried rebooting first, then trying again? It may be still in
> > use.
> >

> >> I went to Search and tried to delete the *.tmp files as part of
> >> regular cleanup. But this time I was prevented. Tried several times
> >> unsuccessfully. First I get the box:
> >> "Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
> >> The compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupt."
> >> Then the supposed deletion starts in the box: "deleting from
> >> archives" which goes on and on and cannot be cancelled or closed. I
> >> have to open Task Manager which says "Compressed (zipped) Folders
> >> error". I end task and the entire Search page disappears, and I have
> >> to try again, and the same thing happens again. The icon clearly
> >> shows it is files and not Folders. I had managed to delete a few
> >> files, but the type ~DF---.tmp are the ones giving the problems, and
> >> cannot be deleted for the above reasons. What can I do about it?
> >> TIA
>
> If the above advice doesn't do it for you there's some freeware
applications
> here that will go ahead and allow you to clean up your disk(s) fairly
> easily.
>
> http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdiskclean.ht...
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 20, 2005 7:12:35 AM

In news:evJ$CPRRFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Ben Stevenson <nospam@firestorml.com> had this to say:

> Thanks for your response.
> There's quite a number of similar ones there. Which ones would you
> recommend for my particular problem?

DiskCleaner or ilSystem Wiper look to be the most robust though I've never
used them (I use System Mechanic) HD Cleaner also looks as though it might
be good.

Galen
April 20, 2005 5:14:58 PM

Ben Stevenson wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
> Yes I did that a number of times. Still same problem.

You cannot delete every single one of them because the OS uses
a couple. Delete half and it should tell you if "those" files are
in that half, et cetera.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:37:00 AM

I downloaded all your three recommendations and used them, but the problem
remains. I need more help.
Thanks

> In news:evJ$CPRRFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Ben Stevenson <nospam@firestorml.com> had this to say:

> > Thanks for your response.
> > There's quite a number of similar ones there. Which ones would you
> > recommend for my particular problem?
>
> DiskCleaner or ilSystem Wiper look to be the most robust though I've never
> used them (I use System Mechanic) HD Cleaner also looks as though it might
> be good.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
April 23, 2005 4:43:34 AM

Thanks for your response.
Only a few could be deleted. But about all the ~DF---.tmp cannot be deleted,
perhaps two hundred of them. There's got to be some corruption here. I
didn't have this problem before. I could delete all of them.

Could not understand your statement "Delete half and it should tell you if
"those" files are in that half, et cetera." Pls enlighten me a bit,
especially "if "those" files are in that half,". I couldn't see any of that
and don't know what it is.
Thanks

"Rick Merrill" <RickMerrill@comTHROW.net> wrote in message
news:o P3M5xcRFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Ben Stevenson wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your response.
> > Yes I did that a number of times. Still same problem.
>
> You cannot delete every single one of them because the OS uses
> a couple. Delete half and it should tell you if "those" files are
> in that half, et cetera.

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 6:08:08 PM

"Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your response.
> Only a few could be deleted. But about all the ~DF---.tmp cannot be
> deleted,
> perhaps two hundred of them. There's got to be some corruption here. I
> didn't have this problem before. I could delete all of them.

You should be able to delete every one made since the last time the machine
was started.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Windows explorer will stop deleteing as soon as it finds one that is
read only. Which could possible leave 200 files.

Two ways i know arround this.
1) Sort the files by creation date. then delete all files except the
current days.
2) Use PerigreeCopy (http://www.xmission.com/~jstanley/pscopy.html).
This will stop all the annoying questions, and unneccisary stops when
copying, or moveing files.

Now this is how i got rid of the ~df*.tmp files. Does anybody know
what program is creating them?

-bj
http://www.askbj.com/

--
key2000bj
April 30, 2005 3:23:09 AM

Thanks for your response.

Yes I was able to delete the most recent ones. Anything I can do to delete
the ones before? They are from December last year. Maybe about 200 of them.
TIA

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Ben Stevenson" <nospam@firestorml.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your response.
> > Only a few could be deleted. But about all the ~DF---.tmp cannot be
> > deleted,
> > perhaps two hundred of them. There's got to be some corruption here. I
> > didn't have this problem before. I could delete all of them.
> >
> You should be able to delete every one made since the last time the
machine
> was started.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

May 1, 2005 1:45:26 AM

If you restart the computer you should be able to delete any TMP files that
old.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com