Conroe System and CPU Temperatures

fleshie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Hi Guys,

Got a few questions about C2D temperatures, just wondering if anyone can shed some light. I'm running E6600 with P5B Deluxe Wifi, no overclocking.

1) In Speedfan and other temp reading softwares, there is usually a reading for CPU and two other readings for the actual cores. I've heard that the CPU temperature is NOT accurate and that I only need to care about the core temperatures. Is that true?

2) My idle temps are 32 System, 37 CPU, 30 for both Cores. My load temps (stressing with TAT) are 35 System, 67 CPU and 60 for both Cores. Are these temperatures OK?

3) According to Speedfan at idle, my System temperature is HIGHER than the core temperatures (even though it's lower than CPU temp). Does this even make any sense? I would think that the Core themselves should be running hotter than the system. Is there something out of whack here? The fact that my system is running hotter than my cores is causing me to think that the system is running too hot...

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
The MAN explains all you need........

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=221745&highlight=

fleshie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks, I read the article.

But there's no explanation why

1) Tcase (CPU Temp) can be higher than Tjunction (cores)... in my scenario my Tcase is always consistently around 7C-10C higher than the Tjunction temperatures. In fact, my core temperature can drop to as low as 25C (which doesn't even seem reasonable to me at stock cooling) while the CPU temp hovers at like 33C.

2) why the System temperature can be higher than both the Tcase and Tjunction.

Those temperatures just don't make any sense to me at all. I can understand it perfectly if my temperatures can be ranked from lowest to highest, system --> tcase (cpu) --> tjunction (cores) but it's actually tjunction (cores) --> system --> tcase (cpu) which really doesn't make sense.