MS Backup

OS XP Pro SP2
NTFS

While trying to make a backup with the Microsoft Backup installed on XP
Professional I got the following error, "Error returned while creating
the volume shadow copy: 80042301". This was working until recently.

Having searched Google it would appear that quite a few people have
encountered this problem, a few managed to fix the problem, some
apparently didn't.

I have carried out the following actions, which I got from various
help/replies from Google. But I am still unable to fix the problem.

In Services I have changed the following to automatic, both COM+
services and Volume shadow copy. This did not work so changed them back
to manual.

This may be significant. One help reply suggested the following, "Open
Regedt32.exe and navigate to the following key":
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\setup

Change the "UpgradeInProgress" value to 0. As a novice I was not sure
what the 32.exe (after Regedt) meant, but navigated to "setup" and found
that UpgradeInProgress was not there.

As this is the Registry, and I am a novice, I don't intend changing
anything in there without sound advice. So if anyone could help me it
would be greatly appreciated.
--
MikeW

*Teach a man to use a rod and you will not see him for a day.
Teach him to use the Net and he will not bother you for weeks.*
28 answers Last reply
More about backup

    I'm just going to walk you through steps you probably already did, but here
    goes.
    Go to Start>run, then type in regedt32...that will open a slightly
    different registry.
    Once you navigate to 'setup', with 'setupt' highlighted, look at the pane
    on the right of your screen, there will be numerous entries, one, likely the
    last in the list, should be UpgradeInProgress. Now, if I mistakenly assumed
    that you did exactly this, but the entry is not listed, sorry.

    I think that the threads I followed after doing a Google were the same
    threads you followed...I saw your post in another forum...but I'm not clear
    what you have actually tried.
    Did you run this command?
    regsvr32ole32.dll

    here is a link to the difference between the two , regedit/regedt32
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141377/

    One thing you can try, since it's a dll file that's the issue, is run
    sfc/scannow.. here is a link with the sfc /scannow info.
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    You can also try to uninstall, then reinstall your NTBackup. Make sure you
    have your disc for that first, though.

    lvee wrote:

    > I'm just going to walk you through steps you probably already did, but here
    > goes.
    > Go to Start>run, then type in regedt32...that will open a slightly
    > different registry.
    > Once you navigate to 'setup', with 'setupt' highlighted, look at the pane
    > on the right of your screen, there will be numerous entries, one, likely the
    > last in the list, should be UpgradeInProgress. Now, if I mistakenly assumed
    > that you did exactly this, but the entry is not listed, sorry.
    >
    > I think that the threads I followed after doing a Google were the same
    > threads you followed...I saw your post in another forum...but I'm not clear
    > what you have actually tried.
    > Did you run this command?
    > regsvr32[<space>]ole32.dll

    Ivee,

    Thanks for responding. I'm not sure what's going on here, I sent this
    post to THIS Ng two days ago and I cannot see my post, only your reply.
    I did not send it (to my knowledge) to any other forum! Also I noticed
    that immediately under your post is a reply (I assume) from Rick
    Merrill, but when I click on his post all I get is your reply, nothing
    from Rick at all. Have you any idea what's going on?

    I will check out your reply shortly and post back. Thats assuming of
    course that THIS post shows up.

    Many thanks

    MikeW

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> anything in there without sound advice. So if anyone could help me it
    >> would be greatly appreciated.
    >> --
    >> MikeW
    >>
    >> *Teach a man to use a rod and you will not see him for a day.
    >> Teach him to use the Net and he will not bother you for weeks.*

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > I'm just going to walk you through steps you probably already did, but
    > here goes.
    > Go to Start>run, then type in regedt32...that will open a slightly
    > different registry.
    > Once you navigate to 'setup', with 'setupt' highlighted, look at the
    > pane on the right of your screen, there will be numerous entries, one,
    > likely the last in the list, should be UpgradeInProgress. Now, if I
    > mistakenly assumed that you did exactly this, but the entry is not

    Followed your instructions above.....there are 7 listings, but
    UpgradeInProgress is not there, SystemSetupInProgress is the last one.
    Can I type in the missing listing or does it have to come from the disk?

    > I think that the threads I followed after doing a Google were the same
    > threads you followed...I saw your post in another forum...but I'm not
    > clear what you have actually tried.
    > Did you run this command?
    > regsvr32ole32.dll

    Yes, and the reply I got was DllRegisterServerin ole32.dll succeeded

    > here is a link to the difference between the two , regedit/regedt32
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141377/

    Thanks for that, as a novice there was a lot I did not understand.

    > One thing you can try, since it's a dll file that's the issue, is run
    > sfc/scannow.. here is a link with the sfc /scannow info.
    > http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    Just ran that, and it asked for my disk, which I dont have!

    > You can also try to uninstall, then reinstall your NTBackup. Make
    > sure you have your disc for that first, though.

    Thanks for your help, it looks like I am going to have to get the techie
    in that installed this copy of the OS.

    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >> OS XP Pro SP2
    >> NTFS
    >>
    >> While trying to make a backup with the Microsoft Backup installed on
    >> XP
    >> Professional I got the following error, "Error returned while
    >> creating
    >> the volume shadow copy: 80042301". This was working until recently.
    >>
    >> Having searched Google it would appear that quite a few people have
    >> encountered this problem, a few managed to fix the problem, some
    >> apparently didn't.
    >>
    >> I have carried out the following actions, which I got from various
    >> help/replies from Google. But I am still unable to fix the problem.
    >>
    >> In Services I have changed the following to automatic, both COM+
    >> services and Volume shadow copy. This did not work so changed them
    >> back
    >> to manual.
    >>
    >> This may be significant. One help reply suggested the following,
    >> "Open
    >> Regedt32.exe and navigate to the following key":
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\setup
    >>
    >> Change the "UpgradeInProgress" value to 0. As a novice I was not sure
    >> what the 32.exe (after Regedt) meant, but navigated to "setup" and
    >> found
    >> that UpgradeInProgress was not there.
    >>
    >> As this is the Registry, and I am a novice, I don't intend changing
    >> anything in there without sound advice. So if anyone could help me it
    >> would be greatly appreciated.
    >> --
    >> MikeW
    >>
    >> *Teach a man to use a rod and you will not see him for a day.
    >> Teach him to use the Net and he will not bother you for weeks.*

    First thing first. If you are using Outlook Express, highlight
    msnewsgroups..on the right, then go to the toolbar, click on view>current
    view>show all messages.
    Then, after the successful attempt with the dll files, did you try to use
    the NTBackup?
    I believe you can add the missing registry entry, but I'm going to check
    that before you try it.

    Click on this link and you'll see what I mean about seeing your post
    elsewhere...cyberland..you're never alone!
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=226973#post226973

    I'll do some more checking and get back to you..

    > First thing first. If you are using Outlook Express, highlight
    > msnewsgroups..on the right, then go to the toolbar, click on
    > view>current view>show all messages.

    My system has not got msnewsgroups, just Newsgroups. I have however got
    > show all messages> selected and it makes no difference, my original
    post is still not showing.

    I have also done this (from another Ng) unsubscribe from group>compact
    folders>close the news program>open the news program>resubscribe. Still
    no change.

    > Then, after the successful attempt with the dll files, did you try to
    > use the NTBackup?

    Yes. But still got the Shadow error message when I tried to backup.

    > I believe you can add the missing registry entry, but I'm going to
    > check that before you try it.
    >
    > Click on this link and you'll see what I mean about seeing your post
    > elsewhere...cyberland..you're never alone!
    > http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=226973#post226973

    Wow. Have you any idea how my oringinal post ended up there?

    > I'll do some more checking and get back to you..

    Thanks.
    It will be some time before I post again, its past my bedtime :) and
    I've got to go to work in the morning. Thanks for all your help, I will
    be back after 6 pm tomorrow, UK time.

    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm just going to walk you through steps you probably already did,
    >>> but here goes.
    >>> Go to Start>run, then type in regedt32...that will open a slightly
    >>> different registry.
    >>> Once you navigate to 'setup', with 'setupt' highlighted, look at
    >>> the pane on the right of your screen, there will be numerous
    >>> entries, one, likely the last in the list, should be
    >>> UpgradeInProgress. Now, if I mistakenly assumed that you did
    >>> exactly this, but the entry is not listed, sorry.
    >>
    >> Followed your instructions above.....there are 7 listings, but
    >> UpgradeInProgress is not there, SystemSetupInProgress is the last
    >> one. Can I type in the missing listing or does it have to come from
    >> the disk?
    >>
    >>> I think that the threads I followed after doing a Google were the
    >>> same threads you followed...I saw your post in another forum...but
    >>> I'm not clear what you have actually tried.
    >>> Did you run this command?
    >>> regsvr32ole32.dll
    >>
    >> Yes, and the reply I got was DllRegisterServerin ole32.dll succeeded
    >>
    >>> here is a link to the difference between the two , regedit/regedt32
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141377/
    >>
    >> Thanks for that, as a novice there was a lot I did not understand.
    >>
    >>> One thing you can try, since it's a dll file that's the issue, is
    >>> run sfc/scannow.. here is a link with the sfc /scannow info.
    >>> http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    >>
    >> Just ran that, and it asked for my disk, which I dont have!
    >>
    >>> You can also try to uninstall, then reinstall your NTBackup. Make
    >>> sure you have your disc for that first, though.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, it looks like I am going to have to get the
    >> techie in that installed this copy of the OS.
    >>

    >>> "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

    Okay, I had to go to bed too:) Now, no cd is nothing to worry about. The
    reason you don't have that entry in your registry is because you don't have
    an upgraded version of xp pro, so that fix won't work.
    You do have the ability to run the sfc /scannow without the cd.

    First, and I should have had you so this right off, check your event viewer.
    Go to Start>admin tools>event viewer>system tab. You are going to see
    yellow and red error indicators. I'm only interested in the red ones right
    now.
    Double Click on the first one in the list that coincides with about the
    time you had this problem. An information box is going to open, it will
    have an event ID number as well as limited info on the error, and it will
    have a hyperlink that I want to click on. That will open an article with
    more info. Copy and paste that to this thread.

    Okay, back to the no cd issue.
    You may have an image of your sfc ( system file check) on your hard drive.
    To read about how to find it, if it's there, click the link,

    http://ask-leo.com/i_dont_have_an_installation_cd_for_windows_xp_what_if_i_need_one.html

    Some of the files may be hidden, so in order to see them, right click the
    start button, click on explore, then on the toolbar click Tools>folder
    options>view> then remove the check next to 'hide protected operation system
    files, and place a check next to show hidden files and folders.

    > Okay, I had to go to bed too:) Now, no cd is nothing to worry about.
    > The reason you don't have that entry in your registry is because you
    > don't have an upgraded version of xp pro, so that fix won't work.
    > You do have the ability to run the sfc /scannow without the cd.
    >
    > First, and I should have had you so this right off, check your event
    > viewer.
    > Go to Start>admin tools>event viewer>system tab. You are going to see
    > yellow and red error indicators. I'm only interested in the red ones
    > right now.
    > Double Click on the first one in the list that coincides with about
    > the time you had this problem. An information box is going to open,
    > it will have an event ID number as well as limited info on the error,
    > and it will have a hyperlink that I want to click on. That will open
    > an article with more info. Copy and paste that to this thread.

    OK, but when I tried to copy it (after highlighting, right click) all I
    got was "what's this". Not to worry, I will type in the info you
    require.

    Date:18.04.2005 Source: Service Control Manager
    Time:14.05.48 Category: None
    Type: Error Event ID: 7001

    > Okay, back to the no cd issue.
    > You may have an image of your sfc ( system file check) on your hard
    > drive. To read about how to find it, if it's there, click the link,
    >
    > http://ask-leo.com/i_dont_have_an_installation_cd_for_windows_xp_what_if_i_need_one.html

    OK, I found nine i386 folders, eight of them had no more than a few
    files in them, the other one had thousands. BUT, I could not find
    winnt.exe or winnt32.exe. But if I have read the article, from your link
    above, correctly, I assume this folder (i386) with thousands of files in
    it is the CD-ROM image.

    > Some of the files may be hidden, so in order to see them, right click
    > the start button, click on explore, then on the toolbar click
    > Tools>folder options>view> then remove the check next to 'hide
    > protected operation system files, and place a check next to show
    > hidden files and folders.
    >
    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> First thing first. If you are using Outlook Express, highlight
    >>> msnewsgroups..on the right, then go to the toolbar, click on
    >>> view>current view>show all messages.
    >>
    >> My system has not got msnewsgroups, just Newsgroups. I have however
    >> got
    >> > show all messages> selected and it makes no difference, my original
    >> post is still not showing.
    >>
    >> I have also done this (from another Ng) unsubscribe from
    >> group>compact folders>close the news program>open the news
    >> program>resubscribe. Still no change.
    >>
    >>> Then, after the successful attempt with the dll files, did you try
    >>> to use the NTBackup?
    >>
    >> Yes. But still got the Shadow error message when I tried to backup.
    >>

    >>> I believe you can add the missing registry entry, but I'm going to
    >>> check that before you try it.
    >>>
    >>> Click on this link and you'll see what I mean about seeing your post
    >>> elsewhere...cyberland..you're never alone!
    >>> http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=226973#post226973
    >>
    >> Wow. Have you any idea how my oringinal post ended up there?
    >>
    >>> I'll do some more checking and get back to you..
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> It will be some time before I post again, its past my bedtime :) and
    >> I've got to go to work in the morning. Thanks for all your help, I
    >> will be back after 6 pm tomorrow, UK time.
    >>

    >>> "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

    Okay, you have already followed this thread, but I'm posting it
    http://www.byfai.com/backupvss.php

    .... Once you successfully ran these.. regsvr32 ole32.dll...go back to
    services and start these.. COM+ System Application and Volume Shadow
    Copy...if they are started, stop them and restart, setting them both to
    automatic.
    To get to services, Start>Admin Tools>services.

    I have a question.. did you download sp2, or do you have the cd?
    And, did your backup work prior to installing sp2?

    And, as for the copy and paste not working...sorry, should have told you,
    those links will need a bit of handy work to copy and paste..highlight the
    link, then from you keyboard, press the Ctrl key and the C key..that will
    copy the text, then you can paste it as you normally would.

    > Okay, you have already followed this thread, but I'm posting it
    > http://www.byfai.com/backupvss.php
    >
    > ... Once you successfully ran these.. regsvr32 ole32.dll...go back to
    > services and start these.. COM+ System Application and Volume Shadow
    > Copy...if they are started, stop them and restart, setting them both
    > to automatic.
    > To get to services, Start>Admin Tools>services.

    Something wrong here I think. COM+ System Application would not start
    first time, error message. Started Ok the second time, did the changes,
    and just to make sure, tried it again. No way will it start now. Error
    message "Could not start the COM+ System Application service on Local
    Computer. Error 1067. The process terminated unexpectedly.

    Volume Shadow Copy. Did as instructed, OK.

    > I have a question.. did you download sp2, or do you have the cd?

    To cut a long story short. On 9 Feb 05 I had a major crash. I had to pay
    for a techie to come in. The hard drive was badly corrupted and
    un-repairable. I was not too worried because I was going to upgrade to a
    larger HD, and I was well backed up on CD disk. The techie puts in a new
    120gig and does a clean install of XP Professional. It was half way
    through installation before I came back in the room and realised what he
    was installing. I had previously had XP Home and the disk was there in
    front of him to install. When I questioned him about certificates etc,
    he said not to worry about things like that. I reformatted my old HD and
    back up to that. The OS he installed already had SP2 on it. However, I
    do have a SP2 disk.

    > And, did your backup work prior to installing sp2?

    After he installed XP Pro, with SP2, I made two or three sucessful
    backups, so yes, it was working OK.

    I'm begining to think I may have a "dodgy" OS!!

    > And, as for the copy and paste not working...sorry, should have told
    > you, those links will need a bit of handy work to copy and
    > paste..highlight the link, then from you keyboard, press the Ctrl key
    > and the C key..that will copy the text, then you can paste it as you
    > normally would.
    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

    Thanks for that, something else I've learnt.

    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Okay, I had to go to bed too:) Now, no cd is nothing to worry
    >>> about. The reason you don't have that entry in your registry is
    >>> because you don't have an upgraded version of xp pro, so that fix
    >>> won't work.
    >>> You do have the ability to run the sfc /scannow without the cd.
    >>>
    >>> First, and I should have had you so this right off, check your event
    >>> viewer.
    >>> Go to Start>admin tools>event viewer>system tab. You are going to
    >>> see yellow and red error indicators. I'm only interested in the red
    >>> ones right now.
    >>> Double Click on the first one in the list that coincides with about
    >>> the time you had this problem. An information box is going to open,
    >>> it will have an event ID number as well as limited info on the
    >>> error, and it will have a hyperlink that I want to click on. That
    >>> will open an article with more info. Copy and paste that to this
    >>> thread.
    >>
    >> OK, but when I tried to copy it (after highlighting, right click) all
    >> I got was "what's this". Not to worry, I will type in the info you
    >> require.
    >>
    >> Date:18.04.2005 Source: Service Control Manager
    >> Time:14.05.48 Category: None
    >> Type: Error Event ID: 7001
    >>>
    >>> Okay, back to the no cd issue.
    >>> You may have an image of your sfc ( system file check) on your
    >>> hard drive. To read about how to find it, if it's there, click the
    >>> link,
    >>>
    >>> http://ask-leo.com/i_dont_have_an_installation_cd_for_windows_xp_what_if_i_need_one.html
    >>
    >> OK, I found nine i386 folders, eight of them had no more than a few
    >> files in them, the other one had thousands. BUT, I could not find
    >> winnt.exe or winnt32.exe. But if I have read the article, from your
    >> link above, correctly, I assume this folder (i386) with thousands of
    >> files in it is the CD-ROM image.
    >>
    >>> Some of the files may be hidden, so in order to see them, right
    >>> click the start button, click on explore, then on the toolbar click
    >>> Tools>folder options>view> then remove the check next to 'hide
    >>> protected operation system files, and place a check next to show
    >>> hidden files and folders.
    >>>
    >>> "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

    I guess I'm out of ideas. Except one...go to that techie and tell him you
    want your origianl disk. If you had an OEM version the info you need would
    have been placed on a seperate partition...which is what he nay have done,
    but I'd call him and tell him to give your cd back..it belongs to you!

    >I guess I'm out of ideas. Except one...go to that techie and tell him
    >you want your origianl disk. If you had an OEM version the info you
    >need would have been placed on a seperate partition...which is what he
    >nay have done, but I'd call him and tell him to give your cd back..it
    >belongs to you!

    He didn't take my CD, it was still on my desk. For some reason *he*
    decided to install XP pro off his disk instead XP Home off my disk.

    Ivee, I would just like to say a big thank you for all your time and
    help. I think I will have a look around to see if I can find a third
    party backup. I will of course, in due time, get the techie back, but at
    £35.00 an hour I'm not in too much of a rush! Thyanks again.
    MikeW

    If you still have the xp home disk, you can, if you want, install that....or
    it might be possible to reinstall the NTBackup from your home disk. I guess
    I'd weigh the benefits...I'll do some checking to see if you can reinstall
    the backup from the home cd.
    There are third party backup programs. I know of another forum that will
    have some good suggestions. I have a meeting to attend so I'll get back to
    you later today, or tomorrow.

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>I guess I'm out of ideas. Except one...go to that techie and tell him
    >>you want your origianl disk. If you had an OEM version the info you need
    >>would have been placed on a seperate partition...which is what he nay have
    >>done, but I'd call him and tell him to give your cd back..it belongs to
    >>you!
    >
    > He didn't take my CD, it was still on my desk. For some reason *he*
    > decided to install XP pro off his disk instead XP Home off my disk.
    >
    > Ivee, I would just like to say a big thank you for all your time and help.
    > I think I will have a look around to see if I can find a third party
    > backup. I will of course, in due time, get the techie back, but at £35.00
    > an hour I'm not in too much of a rush! Thyanks again.
    > MikeW

    If you still have the xp home disk, you can, if you want, install that....or
    it might be possible to reinstall the NTBackup from your home disk. I guess
    I'd weigh the benefits...I'll do some checking to see if you can reinstall
    the backup from the home cd.
    There are third party backup programs. I know of another forum that will
    have some good suggestions. I have a meeting to attend so I'll get back to
    you later today, or tomorrow.

    "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>I guess I'm out of ideas. Except one...go to that techie and tell him
    >>you want your origianl disk. If you had an OEM version the info you need
    >>would have been placed on a seperate partition...which is what he nay have
    >>done, but I'd call him and tell him to give your cd back..it belongs to
    >>you!
    >
    > He didn't take my CD, it was still on my desk. For some reason *he*
    > decided to install XP pro off his disk instead XP Home off my disk.
    >
    > Ivee, I would just like to say a big thank you for all your time and help.
    > I think I will have a look around to see if I can find a third party
    > backup. I will of course, in due time, get the techie back, but at £35.00
    > an hour I'm not in too much of a rush! Thyanks again.
    > MikeW

    Yes! I still have my Windows XP Home Edition disk that came with my PC.
    Look forward to your reply.

    > If you still have the xp home disk, you can, if you want, install
    > that....or
    > it might be possible to reinstall the NTBackup from your home disk. I
    > guess
    > I'd weigh the benefits...I'll do some checking to see if you can
    > reinstall
    > the backup from the home cd.
    > There are third party backup programs. I know of another forum that
    > will
    > have some good suggestions. I have a meeting to attend so I'll get
    > back to
    > you later today, or tomorrow.
    >

    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>>I guess I'm out of ideas. Except one...go to that techie and tell
    >>>him you want your origianl disk. If you had an OEM version the info
    >>>you need would have been placed on a seperate partition...which is
    >>>what he nay have done, but I'd call him and tell him to give your cd
    >>>back..it belongs to you!
    >>
    >> He didn't take my CD, it was still on my desk. For some reason *he*
    >> decided to install XP pro off his disk instead XP Home off my disk.
    >>
    >> Ivee, I would just like to say a big thank you for all your time and
    >> help. I think I will have a look around to see if I can find a third
    >> party backup. I will of course, in due time, get the techie back, but
    >> at £35.00 an hour I'm not in too much of a rush! Thyanks again.
    >> MikeW

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > If you still have the xp home disk, you can, if you want, install
    > that....or
    > it might be possible to reinstall the NTBackup from your home disk. I
    > guess
    > I'd weigh the benefits...I'll do some checking to see if you can
    > reinstall
    > the backup from the home cd.
    > There are third party backup programs. I know of another forum that
    > will
    > have some good suggestions. I have a meeting to attend so I'll get
    > back to
    > you later today, or tomorrow.

    Yes! I still have my Windows XP Home Edition disk that came with my PC.
    Look forward to your reply.

    <snip>

    try this,
    put your xp cd in, it will startup automatically. exit out of it, then go
    to My Computer>.whatever drive you have your cd in (D?), right click
    >explore
    Go to , VALUEADD>MSFT>NTBACKUP
    copy the exe file to your system32 folder, ( via 'send to>floppy...and if
    that doesn't work, try copying to a cd.)
    found at C:Windows/system32

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> If you still have the xp home disk, you can, if you want, install
    >> that....or
    >> it might be possible to reinstall the NTBackup from your home disk. I
    >> guess
    >> I'd weigh the benefits...I'll do some checking to see if you can
    >> reinstall
    >> the backup from the home cd.
    >> There are third party backup programs. I know of another forum that will
    >> have some good suggestions. I have a meeting to attend so I'll get back
    >> you later today, or tomorrow.
    >>
    > Yes! I still have my Windows XP Home Edition disk that came with my PC.
    > Look forward to your reply.
    >
    > <snip>

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > try this,
    > put your xp cd in, it will startup automatically. exit out of it,
    > then go to My Computer>.whatever drive you have your cd in (D?), right
    > click
    > >explore
    > Go to , VALUEADD>MSFT>NTBACKUP

    OK, but when I open NTBACKUP there are two files only. One is a readme
    text and the other is NTBACKUP.MSI, is this the exe file you are
    referring to?

    > copy the exe file to your system32 folder, ( via 'send to>floppy...and
    > if that doesn't work, try copying to a cd.)

    Sorry, but I do not understand this bit. I can copy to a floppy (via
    send to) no problem. But how do I get it from the floppy to the system32
    folder?

    > found at C:Windows/system32

    Yes, found system32 OK

    > .."MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> If you still have the xp home disk, you can, if you want, install
    >>> that....or
    >>> it might be possible to reinstall the NTBackup from your home disk.
    >>> I guess
    >>> I'd weigh the benefits...I'll do some checking to see if you can
    >>> reinstall
    >>> the backup from the home cd.
    >>> There are third party backup programs. I know of another forum that
    >>> will
    >>> have some good suggestions. I have a meeting to attend so I'll get
    >>> back to
    >>> you later today, or tomorrow.
    >>>
    >> Yes! I still have my Windows XP Home Edition disk that came with my
    >> PC.
    >> Look forward to your reply.
    >>
    >> <snip>

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Yes, mine actually has an icon of the computer w/disk indicating that it's
    the setup file. By clicking on that msi file, the setup wizard should
    start.

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> try this,
    >> put your xp cd in, it will startup automatically. exit out of it, then
    >> go to My Computer>.whatever drive you have your cd in (D?), right click
    >> >explore
    >> Go to , VALUEADD>MSFT>NTBACKUP
    >
    > OK, but when I open NTBACKUP there are two files only. One is a readme
    > text and the other is NTBACKUP.MSI, is this the exe file you are referring
    > to?
    >
    >> copy the exe file to your system32 folder, ( via 'send to>floppy...and if
    >> that doesn't work, try copying to a cd.)
    >
    > Sorry, but I do not understand this bit. I can copy to a floppy (via send
    > to) no problem. But how do I get it from the floppy to the system32
    > folder?
    >
    >> found at C:Windows/system32
    >
    > Yes, found system32 OK
    >
    >> .."MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Yes! I still have my Windows XP Home Edition disk that came with my PC.
    >>> Look forward to your reply.
    >>>
    >>> <snip>

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I think we are now getting somewhere. I installed the NTBACKUP.MSI. I
    then launch the backup and go to>Advanced mode>backup tab>job>new>select
    the drive/item that I want to backup>browse>save>start
    backup>advanced>check "Disable volume shadow copy>Check"verify data
    after backup>ok>startbackup.

    The back up now runs OK. BUT, if I select the "System State" to be
    backed up, the "Disable volume shadow copy" is greyed out. If I try to
    run the backup with "Volume Shadow Copy" greyed out, then I get the
    dreaded error message and the backup fails. Not to worry, I can live
    with that. As long as I can backup my complete drive to my backup drive
    I am happy, I think!

    Have you any idea's why this should happen, just curious.

    Once again many thanks for all your help.
    Mike

    > Yes, mine actually has an icon of the computer w/disk indicating that
    > it's the setup file. By clicking on that msi file, the setup wizard
    > should start.
    >
    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> try this,
    >>> put your xp cd in, it will startup automatically. exit out of it,
    >>> then go to My Computer>.whatever drive you have your cd in (D?),
    >>> right click
    >>> Go to , VALUEADD>MSFT>NTBACKUP
    >>
    >> OK, but when I open NTBACKUP there are two files only. One is a
    >> readme text and the other is NTBACKUP.MSI, is this the exe file you
    >> are referring to?
    >>
    >>> copy the exe file to your system32 folder, ( via 'send
    >>> to>floppy...and if that doesn't work, try copying to a cd.)
    >>
    >> Sorry, but I do not understand this bit. I can copy to a floppy (via
    >> send to) no problem. But how do I get it from the floppy to the
    >> system32 folder?
    >>
    >>> found at C:Windows/system32
    >>
    >> Yes, found system32 OK
    >>
    >>> .."MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    maybe. You might have it turned off. First look in your services. Go to
    Start>admin tools>services. scroll down until your see Volume shadow copy.
    See if it is started, if not, start it.

    If it's not there post back. I have to check how to get to your BIOS with
    xp pro. Probably the same as with Home, but I'm going to check.

    >I think we are now getting somewhere. I installed the NTBACKUP.MSI. I then
    >launch the backup and go to>Advanced mode>backup tab>job>new>select the
    >drive/item that I want to backup>browse>save>start backup>advanced>check
    >"Disable volume shadow copy>Check"verify data after backup>ok>startbackup.
    >
    > The back up now runs OK. BUT, if I select the "System State" to be backed
    > up, the "Disable volume shadow copy" is greyed out. If I try to run the
    > backup with "Volume Shadow Copy" greyed out, then I get the dreaded error
    > message and the backup fails. Not to worry, I can live with that. As long
    > as I can backup my complete drive to my backup drive I am happy, I think!
    >
    > Have you any idea's why this should happen, just curious.
    >
    > Once again many thanks for all your help.
    > Mike
    >
    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, mine actually has an icon of the computer w/disk indicating that
    >> it's the setup file. By clicking on that msi file, the setup wizard
    >> should start.
    >>
    >> "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> OK, but when I open NTBACKUP there are two files only. One is a readme
    >>> text and the other is NTBACKUP.MSI, is this the exe file you are
    >>> referring to?

    >>> Sorry, but I do not understand this bit. I can copy to a floppy (via
    >>> send to) no problem. But how do I get it from the floppy to the system32
    >>> folder?

    >>> Yes, found system32 OK

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > maybe. You might have it turned off. First look in your services.
    > Go to Start>admin tools>services. scroll down until your see Volume
    > shadow copy. See if it is started, if not, start it.

    Just checked the above. Volume shadow copy was "Started". It was set on
    automatic. I stopped it, and restarted it, a couple of times, no
    problems.

    I then left it on automatic/started and tried a System State backup, but
    again "Disable volume shadow copy" was greyed out and the backup failed.
    I then selected my drive to backup, put a check mark against "Disable
    volume shadow copy" and the backup started OK.

    > If it's not there post back. I have to check how to get to your BIOS
    > with xp pro. Probably the same as with Home, but I'm going to check.
    >

    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>I think we are now getting somewhere. I installed the NTBACKUP.MSI. I
    >>then launch the backup and go to>Advanced mode>backup
    >>tab>job>new>select the drive/item that I want to
    >>backup>browse>save>start backup>advanced>check "Disable volume shadow
    >>copy>Check"verify data after backup>ok>startbackup.
    >>
    >> The back up now runs OK. BUT, if I select the "System State" to be
    >> backed up, the "Disable volume shadow copy" is greyed out. If I try
    >> to run the backup with "Volume Shadow Copy" greyed out, then I get
    >> the dreaded error message and the backup fails. Not to worry, I can
    >> live with that. As long as I can backup my complete drive to my
    >> backup drive I am happy, I think!
    >>
    >> Have you any idea's why this should happen, just curious.
    >>
    >> Once again many thanks for all your help.
    >> Mike

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    well, that's great news.
    As far as your xp home disk...don't lose it. :) I'm glad you got everything
    sorted out..
    Good luck, and post back anytime if something else goes wrong.
    Laura

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> maybe. You might have it turned off. First look in your services. Go to
    >> Start>admin tools>services. scroll down until your see Volume shadow
    >> copy. See if it is started, if not, start it.
    >
    > Just checked the above. Volume shadow copy was "Started". It was set on
    > automatic. I stopped it, and restarted it, a couple of times, no problems.
    >
    > I then left it on automatic/started and tried a System State backup, but
    > again "Disable volume shadow copy" was greyed out and the backup failed. I
    > then selected my drive to backup, put a check mark against "Disable volume
    > shadow copy" and the backup started OK.
    >
    >> If it's not there post back. I have to check how to get to your BIOS
    >> with xp pro. Probably the same as with Home, but I'm going to check.
    >>

    >> "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>>I think we are now getting somewhere. I installed the NTBACKUP.MSI. I
    >>>then launch the backup and go to>Advanced mode>backup tab>job>new>select
    >>>the drive/item that I want to backup>browse>save>start
    >>>backup>advanced>check "Disable volume shadow copy>Check"verify data after
    >>>backup>ok>startbackup.
    >>>
    >>> The back up now runs OK. BUT, if I select the "System State" to be
    >>> backed up, the "Disable volume shadow copy" is greyed out. If I try to
    >>> run the backup with "Volume Shadow Copy" greyed out, then I get the
    >>> dreaded error message and the backup fails. Not to worry, I can live
    >>> with that. As long as I can backup my complete drive to my backup drive
    >>> I am happy, I think!
    >>>
    >>> Have you any idea's why this should happen, just curious.
    >>>
    >>> Once again many thanks for all your help.
    >>> Mike

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Err, not quite everything. Please read my last (two) posts again. You
    will see that I can backup a drive, folders and files, but I cannot
    backup the System State. When I include System state in my backup,
    Volume shadow copy is greyed out, which means I am unable to uncheck it.
    If I try to backup without unchecking Volume shadow copy I get the error
    message.

    But having said that, I am quite happy with what I have now, I was just
    curious as to why I could not backup the system state.

    > well, that's great news.
    > As far as your xp home disk...don't lose it. :) I'm glad you got
    > everything sorted out..
    > Good luck, and post back anytime if something else goes wrong.
    > Laura
    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> maybe. You might have it turned off. First look in your services.
    >>> Go to Start>admin tools>services. scroll down until your see Volume
    >>> shadow copy. See if it is started, if not, start it.
    >>
    >> Just checked the above. Volume shadow copy was "Started". It was set
    >> on automatic. I stopped it, and restarted it, a couple of times, no
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> I then left it on automatic/started and tried a System State backup,
    >> but again "Disable volume shadow copy" was greyed out and the backup
    >> failed. I then selected my drive to backup, put a check mark against
    >> "Disable volume shadow copy" and the backup started OK.
    >>
    >>> If it's not there post back. I have to check how to get to your
    >>> BIOS with xp pro. Probably the same as with Home, but I'm going to
    >>> check.
    >>>

    >>> "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Okay, I'm not sure what's going on.
    And make sure COM+ System Application is started and set to automatic. as
    well as remote Procedure Call set to manual....Not Remote Procedure Call
    Locator, leave that one alone.

    "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> maybe. You might have it turned off. First look in your services. Go to
    >> Start>admin tools>services. scroll down until your see Volume shadow
    >> copy. See if it is started, if not, start it.
    >
    > Just checked the above. Volume shadow copy was "Started". It was set on
    > automatic. I stopped it, and restarted it, a couple of times, no problems.
    >
    > I then left it on automatic/started and tried a System State backup, but
    > again "Disable volume shadow copy" was greyed out and the backup failed. I
    > then selected my drive to backup, put a check mark against "Disable volume
    > shadow copy" and the backup started OK.
    >
    >> If it's not there post back. I have to check how to get to your BIOS
    >> with xp pro. Probably the same as with Home, but I'm going to check.
    >>

    >> "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >>>I think we are now getting somewhere. I installed the NTBACKUP.MSI. I
    >>>then launch the backup and go to>Advanced mode>backup tab>job>new>select
    >>>the drive/item that I want to backup>browse>save>start
    >>>backup>advanced>check "Disable volume shadow copy>Check"verify data after
    >>>backup>ok>startbackup.
    >>>
    >>> The back up now runs OK. BUT, if I select the "System State" to be
    >>> backed up, the "Disable volume shadow copy" is greyed out. If I try to
    >>> run the backup with "Volume Shadow Copy" greyed out, then I get the
    >>> dreaded error message and the backup fails. Not to worry, I can live
    >>> with that. As long as I can backup my complete drive to my backup drive
    >>> I am happy, I think!
    >>>
    >>> Have you any idea's why this should happen, just curious.
    >>>
    >>> Once again many thanks for all your help.
    >>> Mike

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    OK.

    1.Volume Shadow Copy set to manual and started.

    2. COM+ System Application is set to automatic and started. But see
    below.

    3. Remote Procedure Call is set to Automatic and started. I cannot
    change it to manual because Start, Stop, Pause, Resume, Restart are all
    greyed out. If I go to properties>Start-up type, for this item, this is
    also greyed out.

    4. I then tried to backup the System State, but it failed and I got the
    error message again.

    HOWEVER, I think I have found the problem, although I don't know how to
    fix it. After carrying out 1 to 4 above, I went back into Services and
    discovered that COM+ System Application was NOT started. I then started
    it again, came out of Services, went back into Services, and found again
    that it was not started. Obviously, although it is showing that it is
    tuned on, when exiting it is turning itself off.

    I also did the following; highlight COM+ System
    Application>Properties>Service status>click on start. I did this several
    times and got two error messages.
    Error message 1.Could not start the COM+ System Application service on
    local computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.
    Error message 2.Could not start the COM+ System Application service on
    local computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an
    internal Windows error or an internal service error.

    So, to recap. I think the problem is that the COM+ System Application
    will not stay turned on, any thoughts on this?

    > Okay, I'm not sure what's going on.
    > And make sure COM+ System Application is started and set to
    > automatic. as well as remote Procedure Call set to manual....Not
    > Remote Procedure Call Locator, leave that one alone.
    <snip>
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I am out of ideas. I don't now why, or what is causing the error. But your
    right, it's the Com+ application.
    I'm sorry, I wish we could have gotten everything working..but, you can
    still back up your c drive..just not snap-shots view System State.

    Anyway, check back in a few weeks, if I find anything, I'll post it to this
    thread.
    Good luck, and nice working with you.

    > OK.
    >
    > 1.Volume Shadow Copy set to manual and started.
    >
    > 2. COM+ System Application is set to automatic and started. But see below.
    >
    > 3. Remote Procedure Call is set to Automatic and started. I cannot change
    > it to manual because Start, Stop, Pause, Resume, Restart are all greyed
    > out. If I go to properties>Start-up type, for this item, this is also
    > greyed out.
    >
    > 4. I then tried to backup the System State, but it failed and I got the
    > error message again.
    >
    > HOWEVER, I think I have found the problem, although I don't know how to
    > fix it. After carrying out 1 to 4 above, I went back into Services and
    > discovered that COM+ System Application was NOT started. I then started it
    > again, came out of Services, went back into Services, and found again that
    > it was not started. Obviously, although it is showing that it is tuned on,
    > when exiting it is turning itself off.
    >
    > I also did the following; highlight COM+ System
    > Application>Properties>Service status>click on start. I did this several
    > times and got two error messages.
    > Error message 1.Could not start the COM+ System Application service on
    > local computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.
    > Error message 2.Could not start the COM+ System Application service on
    > local computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an
    > internal Windows error or an internal service error.
    >
    > So, to recap. I think the problem is that the COM+ System Application will
    > not stay turned on, any thoughts on this?
    >

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Okay, I'm not sure what's going on.
    >> And make sure COM+ System Application is started and set to automatic.
    >> as well as remote Procedure Call set to manual....Not Remote Procedure
    >> Call Locator, leave that one alone.
    > <snip>

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Not to worry, as you said, at least I can back up my drive. I *might*
    post this (now that we know what the problem is) on
    24hoursupport.helpdesk, if I can get through the trolls. If I find a
    solution, I to, will post back to this thread.

    Many thanks for all your help and time. Its been a pleasure working with
    you too.
    Mike

    problem on 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >I am out of ideas. I don't now why, or what is causing the error. But
    >your right, it's the Com+ application.
    > I'm sorry, I wish we could have gotten everything working..but, you
    > can still back up your c drive..just not snap-shots view System State.
    >
    > Anyway, check back in a few weeks, if I find anything, I'll post it to
    > this thread.
    > Good luck, and nice working with you.
    >
    > "MikeW" <MikeW@spammenot.con> wrote in message
    >> OK.
    >>
    >> 1.Volume Shadow Copy set to manual and started.
    >>
    >> 2. COM+ System Application is set to automatic and started. But see
    >> below.
    >>
    >> 3. Remote Procedure Call is set to Automatic and started. I cannot
    >> change it to manual because Start, Stop, Pause, Resume, Restart are
    >> all greyed out. If I go to properties>Start-up type, for this item,
    >> this is also greyed out.
    >>
    >> 4. I then tried to backup the System State, but it failed and I got
    >> the error message again.
    >>
    >> HOWEVER, I think I have found the problem, although I don't know how
    >> to fix it. After carrying out 1 to 4 above, I went back into Services
    >> and discovered that COM+ System Application was NOT started. I then
    >> started it again, came out of Services, went back into Services, and
    >> found again that it was not started. Obviously, although it is
    >> showing that it is tuned on, when exiting it is turning itself off.
    >>
    >> I also did the following; highlight COM+ System
    >> Application>Properties>Service status>click on start. I did this
    >> several times and got two error messages.
    >> Error message 1.Could not start the COM+ System Application service
    >> on local computer. Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.
    >> Error message 2.Could not start the COM+ System Application service
    >> on local computer. The service did not return an error. This could be
    >> an internal Windows error or an internal service error.
    >>
    >> So, to recap. I think the problem is that the COM+ System Application
    >> will not stay turned on, any thoughts on this?
    >>

    >> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> Okay, I'm not sure what's going on.
    >>> And make sure COM+ System Application is started and set to
    >>> automatic. as well as remote Procedure Call set to manual....Not
    >>> Remote Procedure Call Locator, leave that one alone.
    >> <snip>

Backup Microsoft Windows XP