Please Assist: Windows Desktop Stuck on White w/ IE Browser

Anfini03

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
I wasn't paying attention to my downloads and unloaded some nasty spy/adware on my computer. I think I've got most of it weeded out, but I can't get my desktop to return to normal. It's always white. The wallpaper tries to load from time to time, but it always goes white. Also, there is an Internet Explorer window kinda overlayed into the top left corner that I cannot close. Has anyone seen this or know a solution?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
you mean active desktop? go to control panel > display > desktop > customize desktop > web > make sure nothing is checked

if you have 200 it's the active desktop tab in display properties i think

bpgordon81

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I recall having a problem like that, and if it is NOT active desktop, then it may be the result of the spyware, which modified my registry settings, and left a residual hidden boot file that, if you got everything working again and you registry fixed, would only screw everything up the next time you booted. I had to install a program called Spyware Doctor to get rid of it. but it's not free, I think it's $30 or so, but it has caught almost all of my spyware problems since, and it even updates the latest signatures like Norton AV.