Connection Problem!!!

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hi All
I set up a router last week so my bro can share our broadband connection on his lap top,he mainly wants this for downloading movies once in a while!
I mostly use this pc for gaming (online bf2 the most), the problem is every time since connecting the router,when I try to play online at the same time as he is connected dling,well I either cant connect or end up being disconnected for having to high ping!and it is high , like on a local server where my ping is normally like 15-17,it can get as bad as 600-800!!
Now I thought that capping his down/up-loads might help but he isnt really getting much out of it either, the max Ive seen is like 30kb down and 8kb up!
Ive also tried setting the ports (port forwarding) in the router settings, this is ok for the torrent he is using because it is only 1 port, but BF2 uses a large range so its not so good nor has it made any difference for me!
I dont know what else to try!!!
The setup is- 2mb cable broadband (ntl)modem - Netgear 54 mbs wireless router WGR614v6 - both pc's are connected by ethernet cable, the wireless isnt in use and is turned off. The pc's arnt networked so that they see each other, could this make any difference?, Can any one help me here?
As Always Any Suggestions Are Appreciated
Thanx Gaz!

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hi All
I set up a router last week so my bro can share our broadband connection on his lap top,he mainly wants this for downloading movies once in a while!
I mostly use this pc for gaming (online bf2 the most), the problem is every time since connecting the router,when I try to play online at the same time as he is connected dling,well I either cant connect or end up being disconnected for having to high ping!and it is high , like on a local server where my ping is normally like 15-17,it can get as bad as 600-800!!
Now I thought that capping his down/up-loads might help but he isnt really getting much out of it either, the max Ive seen is like 30kb down and 8kb up!
Ive also tried setting the ports (port forwarding) in the router settings, this is ok for the torrent he is using because it is only 1 port, but BF2 uses a large range so its not so good nor has it made any difference for me!
I dont know what else to try!!!
The setup is- 2mb cable broadband (ntl)modem - Netgear 54 mbs wireless router WGR614v6 - both pc's are connected by ethernet cable, the wireless isnt in use and is turned off. The pc's arnt networked so that they see each other, could this make any difference?, Can any one help me here?
As Always Any Suggestions Are Appreciated
Thanx Gaz!

Things you can try:
1. Try different BF2 servers as some will have less latency then others.
2. Keep playing with the capping, you are on the right track there. If you can cap his speeds thru the program keep playing with the settings until you get better speeds. I would totally drop upload speeds to 0kb and dl to 10K.
3. Play with the filtering\blocking function on the router and just block his IP for certain times of the day so you can play... :twisted:

Best of luck

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hi Ivdax,
Thanx for replying,
Ive capped his upload at 1kb it wouldnt let me select 0, and downloads are at 50kb, I know u suggested 10 but most of the time he isnt getting much more than that anyway.I gues Im just to soft to complety block him when I want to get online,I would feel to guilty :oops: after all he only wants a couple of albums(not movies like I first said) and its taking an age for him too!
I just dont get it,I can get on the web and browse and download, there is only a little bit of difference to before the router was connected, but as soon as I try and play online thats where it looses it! I must be missing somthing here? Others Ive spoke to with simular setups who play online say they only get a 10-20ping increase max!!
Theres got to be some way of optimizing the connections or maybe splitting the 2mb thats coming in 50/50??
Any Ideas Anybody? Please Help!!!
Thanx Gaz!

vertualPopeye

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Hi,
I have recently seen a similar issue. A second computer connected via wireless reduced the ping times to an impossible rate, reguardless of activity, just being connected screwed things up. Reset your router giving it a new SSID (not the default one) I realize your not using wireless but just try to reset things without using the default profile. And use internet explorrer to acces it, (not firefox or anything else).
you may also want to benchmark your data flow at each computer and see who is using up the bandwidth or if it is maxing out. 2mb is not a huge pipe, good for a game like bf but a torrent could max that out. Even if the data flow is not maxed out the torrent responding to the tracker and multiple clients could reduce the ping times.

good luck!

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I agree with the rebuild of the router... you can also try to load the newest firmware update for the router and see if that makes a difference.
I truly believe that the issue is that the Torrent is setting itself up as primary so it is using the most of your pipe. Your best bet for this to attempt to limit his pipe. IceBlue might have a recommendation beyond that he seems to be very knowledgeable. And i am stronger with Cisco routers.

Best of luck.

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Thankyou for your help guys,
firstly as you suggested vertual popeye Ive reset the router and changed the SSID from the default, after this I tried playing online whilst my brother was downloading. Now I tested for about an hour and there was a big difference as in my ping didnt get half as bad (certainly not bad enough to be disconnected) it was alot better for me although it was still qiute laggy/jerky.But during this hour whilst my connection was alot better my bro said his dl's practicly stopped completly, although this may of been not enough seeders on the torrent.After this he had turned off anyway so I was free to get online as normal but I was still getting alot of lag evan though only my pc was connected! each time I checked my ping was at an ok latency!!.
you may also want to benchmark your data flow at each computer and see who is using up the bandwidth or if it is maxing out.
How would I go about this? can you suggest any easy to use(free) programs?
Also I am going to find the latest firmware now Ivdax, see if that helps.
About limiting the pipe though , is there a way of like splitting the 2mb which is coming in?
Thanx again guys Gaz!

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
About limiting the pipe though , is there a way of like splitting the 2mb which is coming in?
Depending on what tools your router has there are options to limit your pipe by IP address. I am not sure you can do it with your router but it is something you should look into. Browse thru the manual and see if it has anything. Or google your router type and see if anyone has developed a firmware update that has that tool built in. (NOTE: make sure it is for your router model and know that it will void any warranty if you do this)

Best of luck.

Zakkas

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Test your throughput on both PC's. Use this link and choose a location close to you:Speedtest

My question is do you see the slow speeds even if your the only one connected to the Internet. And if so is it only on BF2?

LVDAX

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
you can also see bandwidth per NIC by downloading NetPerSec ver 1.1
It is freeware so just google it and find the free download.

ScunnyUK

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Hi Guys,
OK, I'll try and update you the best I can with the speedtesting that Ive done!
But firstI tried to download and install 'NetPerSec', but must of got a corrupt dl or somthing cos when I press to install it keeps giving an error that it cant find 'C/program files/blah-blah/Setup.exe' evan though the path is correct!! I'll have to try find anouther site with the dl!
Anywayz back to the speed test, well I tested using this SpeedTest Site, for local servers in the UK, well it will probably be easier to understand if I just post the results so here goes...
1st - my pc before the router was connected,
2nd - my bros laptop connected,my pc is off,
3rd - my bros whilst the torrent is dling under 10kbs
4th - my bros this time not dling but whilst my pc is connected to internet
5th - my bros again whilst myn is connected but this time his torrent is dling at around 48kbs
6th - my pc with the laptop downloading the same as no:5
7th - my pc whilst my bros laptop is just connected to internet
8th - my pc connected to a game server my brothers is connected to web
9th - my bros speed whilst myn is connected to the server
10th - my brothers laptop speed while it is connected to the torrent and my pc is connected to a bf2 game server
11th - my pc's speed with the same as no:10
Also with the last couple I think the torrent was only dling at 5or6kbs and allthough I was connected to a server my character was idle!
5 6
11 ...So to answer your question Zakkas, well no , I only see the slow speed s whilst my brother is connected and his torrents are actually downloading! The thing is that since changing the default SSID it doesnt seem half as bad for me- but sometimes it does get laggy/jumpy playing BF while only my pc is connected,this wasnt happening before.
Well I hope this is understandable as Im rather tired, I'll have a look through the manual to see if there are built in tools, and on google tomorrow for some sort of modded firmware!!
Thanx For All Your Help Guys, Gaz!

tskdisable

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Everything my brother on his laptop my desktop ping will be high.Normally is 40-80ping,and when he on it it will shoot up to 400-1k ping.anyone can tell me how to fix this problem.we are both using wireless