chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Can't go to ftp sites!?

I go to a computer with Internet Explorer 6.0 and can get on fine but i get this error with computers with Internet Explorer 7.0

I played around with some settings but can't get it to work. Anyone have any ideas?

errorrf0.png

chewster77

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
i got the answer from another forum and thought i would share it with everyone:

Here is the official answer to your problem, quote taken from another location:

"This is by design. An important security feature of IE 7 is that it has been completely separated from the windows shell. For example if you type in www.myfavoritewebsite.com into explorer it will no longer open up the page in the same window as in ie6, it will open up a new window of ie7. FTP is now strictly a component of "explorer" or "my computer". Try entering your ftp site using them and you should have success. The sad thing is that the ftp options are still in IE 7. These options being "allow folder view..." and such.

Another disappointing thing about the upgrade to IE 7 is that is does not re-associate ftp links with explorer. If you send someone a link to an ftp site via email it will try to open in IE7 and fail. This can be corrected by going into folder options and reassociating the ftp url with explorer.

To change this:
folder options-file types-URL:File Transfer Protocol
Create an "open" command and reference explorer as the program. (you may have to delete the old one)"