HDMI to Compoent conversion?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 10, 2004 12:25:02 PM

Hello,

I'm interested in getting one of those new DVD players that provide
"upconverting" of DVD's to 1080i... The problem is that they use the HDMI
interface and my TV only accepts Component Input...

Is there some type of conversion cable that I could use?? And does anyone
foresee any big issues with this?

Troy
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:21:22 PM

"Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I'm interested in getting one of those new DVD players that provide
| "upconverting" of DVD's to 1080i... The problem is that they use the HDMI
| interface and my TV only accepts Component Input...
|
| Is there some type of conversion cable that I could use?? And does anyone
| foresee any big issues with this?

Just use the component output on the DVDP...You'll find that it will have
one as well.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 6:21:23 PM

But to use the "upconverting" feature, which is what I want, it says that it
requires DVI..

"Gary Rodgers" <garyrodgers.mynose@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Hello,
> |
> | I'm interested in getting one of those new DVD players that provide
> | "upconverting" of DVD's to 1080i... The problem is that they use the
> HDMI
> | interface and my TV only accepts Component Input...
> |
> | Is there some type of conversion cable that I could use?? And does
> anyone
> | foresee any big issues with this?
>
> Just use the component output on the DVDP...You'll find that it will have
> one as well.

November 10, 2004 6:21:24 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:25:00 -0500, in article
<10p4cmjt5v21cf6@corp.supernews.com>, "Troy Bruder"
<troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> "Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> | Hello,
>> |
>> | I'm interested in getting one of those new DVD players that provide
>> | "upconverting" of DVD's to 1080i... The problem is that they use the
>> HDMI
>> | interface and my TV only accepts Component Input...
>> |
>> | Is there some type of conversion cable that I could use?? And does
>> anyone
>> | foresee any big issues with this?
>>
>But to use the "upconverting" feature, which is what I want, it says that it
>requires DVI..

There is no way to use any sort of simple conversion cable. HDMI/DVI is
encrypted digital video; component is analog. You'd need the logic
circuits built into the TVs that have it.

So you can't really utilize these new DVD players. The good news for
you is that on your set (some sort of CRT based set I guess?), you
weren't likely to see much difference anyway.
--
Stephen Tu
stephtu@surfbest.net

Yes, I guess you are right about that....

Thanks for the feedback.

"Stephen Tu" <stephtu@surfbest.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:25:00 -0500, in article
> <10p4cmjt5v21cf6@corp.supernews.com>, "Troy Bruder"
> <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> "Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> HDMI

>>> anyone
>>>
>>But to use the "upconverting" feature, which is what I want, it says that
>>it
>>requires DVI..
>
> There is no way to use any sort of simple conversion cable. HDMI/DVI is
> encrypted digital video; component is analog. You'd need the logic
> circuits built into the TVs that have it.
>
> So you can't really utilize these new DVD players. The good news for
> you is that on your set (some sort of CRT based set I guess?), you
> weren't likely to see much difference anyway.
> --
> Stephen Tu
> stephtu@surfbest.net
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 9:42:57 PM

I think that the Bravo D2 and 3 and the Momitsu are the only ones who
upconvert via components. I think that there is another also, but I think
it costs more than most people are willing to pay.

--
This site exposes them all!

www.unclet.netfirms.com

Damn toms!
> But to use the "upconverting" feature, which is what I want, it says that
it
> requires DVI..
>

> "Gary Rodgers" <garyrodgers.mynose@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > | Hello,
> > |
> > | I'm interested in getting one of those new DVD players that provide
> > | "upconverting" of DVD's to 1080i... The problem is that they use the
> > HDMI
> > | interface and my TV only accepts Component Input...
> > |
> > | Is there some type of conversion cable that I could use?? And does
> > anyone
> > | foresee any big issues with this?
> >
> > Just use the component output on the DVDP...You'll find that it will
have
> > one as well.

November 10, 2004 11:44:31 PM

Send your thanks to Hollywood. HDMI is an anti-piracy interface and
designed to prevent analog (component) signals outside the tv set.

!