Any New/Upcoming Micro-ATX MBs Coming Out???

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Sorry if this has been posted or talked about already, but I normally come to Tom's for tech news and I haven't seen much about it...

I'm planning on a M-ATX build for a couple reasons:
1) Smaller size LIMITS me from spending too much (I can only pack so much into a small case - most likely gonna buy an Ultra Microfly and besides, I don't need an uber gaming PC...)
2) Going to college and want to keep things small

Anyhow, I've already done some research on current M-ATX offerings and would like to know if anybody has any information on upcoming M-ATX products. Thanks

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Sorry if this has been posted or talked about already, but I normally come to Tom's for tech news and I haven't seen much about it...

I'm planning on a M-ATX build for a couple reasons:
1) Smaller size LIMITS me from spending too much (I can only pack so much into a small case - most likely gonna buy an Ultra Microfly and besides, I don't need an uber gaming PC...)
2) Going to college and want to keep things small

Anyhow, I've already done some research on current M-ATX offerings and would like to know if anybody has any information on upcoming M-ATX products. Thanks

I have this and will build with C2D processor in the upcoming weeks. Supports 800 mhz. RAM and equipped with RAID capability.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131085

Considered this. Has the 965Q chipset also.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2464&ProductName=GA-965QM-DS2

Built the Microfly recently and was not impresed. Built the Apreiva XQ Pack last year and like it better.

Considering this for current build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129131

jadeite

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I have the ASUS P5B-VM DO and it seems a capable board. I did however need to upgrade to their beta BIOS. Some don't like this board because it doesn't allow overclocking. Still, I think it is a good choice.

I also have and would highly recommend considering a Silverstone SG01 case. It fits big ATX power supplies as well as the big 8800GTS video card. It is also extremely beautifully engineered in regards to air flow, fit/finish, and is light aluminum. If you can wait, in about a month you should be able to get the brand new SG03 case which is the same volume as the SG01, but with even better cooling (2x120mm fans) and fit 2 big graphics cards for SLI.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I have the ASUS P5B-VM DO and it seems a capable board. I did however need to upgrade to their beta BIOS. Some don't like this board because it doesn't allow overclocking. Still, I think it is a good choice.

I built the P5B-VM and tore it down and returned it and have this sitting in then box as a replacement. The 965G (and now Q) chipsets are poor overclockers for a lot of reasons including BIOS features, voltage regulators, on board video, etc. Like you said, it's not that bad and I have seen benchmarks where the 965Q is very capable when pitted against the 965P chipsets.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2948&p=3

That SG03 looks good. I wonder if it would house a Zalman 9500 HSU?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Built the Microfly recently and was not impresed. Built the Apreiva XQ Pack last year and like it better.

I've heard that the Microfly was an upgrade from the Apevia? I've read that the Microfly can fit a standard ATX PSU while the Apevia may have issues, but I don't know...

However, does anybody know of any information related to upcoming M-ATX motherboard products?

If you can wait, in about a month you should be able to get the brand new SG03 case which is the same volume as the SG01, but with even better cooling (2x120mm fans) and fit 2 big graphics cards for SLI.
Thanks for the info on the SG03; although I still prefer the portability of the Microfly, I'll keep that in mind. Anyhow, I won't be building for at least another month or so anyhow...

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I've heard that the Microfly was an upgrade from the Apevia? I've read that the Microfly can fit a standard ATX PSU while the Apevia may have issues, but I don't know...

I found the Microfly to be slightly larger than the Apreiva XQ Pack. I bought the Microfly with the 650 watt modular PSU and took that out amd replaced with a weaker full size 400 watt PSU. The Apreiva XQ pack comes with a 420 watt micro power supply. Mine worked fine, but problems have been reported with the unit. I am using an X-Infinity 500 watt SLI ready full size PSU in the XQ Pack. It's a tight fit between the back of the optical drives and the back of the fiull size PSU. Either case is fine. The Microfly is tye stronger of the two cases. The Apreiva is a bit flimsy and the clear side panels scratch very easy.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Thanks for the clarification. A slightly bigger case (than the Apevia) won't really bother me because it will still be a "decrease" in size from my current TT Tsunami case, which I have not utilized to its full potential... I think the more attractive aspects of the Microfly though are the fact that it seems to be the more durable of the two cases.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Point taken, but I wonder if I could try some modding..... :wink:

Anyhow, I wanted to know, how much clearance for a HSF do you have between the CPU and the PSU support bracket/PSU?

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Point taken, but I wonder if I could try some modding..... :wink:

Anyhow, I wanted to know, how much clearance for a HSF do you have between the CPU and the PSU support bracket/PSU?

On the Microfly I use the stock socket 775 heatsink fan. Certainly nothing 'tall' is going to fit height-wise. I have a Coolermaster Hiper that has a 2800 RPM 92 mm fan that works a lot better than the stock cooler. I use it in the Apreiva, but it would fit either case. You will need a 'low (or lower) profile type fan using these cases. The clearance you are referring to is limited to a low profile, or slightly taller than stock HSF.

I have this. It fits fine and has the heat pipes. Only the giant fan makes it better than the stock 775 cooler though. It fits.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4099285&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.CM+LGA775COOLER

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I figured a low profile would be required. I just ran across the Silverstone NT03 on their website and was thinking, when I build this PC, that I'd use that. I think it should fit. Thanks.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
The Coolermaster Hyper 3's big advantage over the stock 775 cooler is definately the powerful fan. The heatpipes work well too. I have my Pentium D 805 overclocked from 2.66 to 3.4 GHZ. on a 945G Micro. It idles at 39/40 C in the jammed packed micro. Definately an upgrade to the stock 775 HSF, but not as much as say the Zalman 9500 I want to use on the micro build I'm working on now. This will be my third micro build. I like the micro systems.

jadeite

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks for the info on the SG03; although I still prefer the portability of the Microfly

For what it is worth, the Silverstone SG01 and SG03 are both smaller and lighter than the Microfly. They do not have a carrying handle however.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
nVidia has it's new IGP chipset in both AMD & Intel flavours that should be showing up any day now in retail.
Don't know about Intel version but for AM2 abit will have the AN-M2 & AN-N2HD.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
nVidia has it's new IGP chipset in both AMD & Intel flavours that should be showing up any day now in retail.
Don't know about Intel version but for AM2 abit will have the AN-M2 & AN-N2HD.
Thanks for that info.

For what it is worth, the Silverstone SG01 and SG03 are both smaller and lighter than the Microfly. They do not have a carrying handle however.
I like the carrying handle though, but I could consider installing one on the SG03.

occdavid

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
I glanced at that SG03 this morning - looks nice - did I see a custom duffle bag for it too. That could work for transporting it if you dont want to mod a handle for it.