evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Idiot here (me) removed my CPU (it was hard to do because of a big heat sink attached) and one stick of RAM to attempt to upgrade. I tried to put my CPU pack in and change RAM. PC didn't work. Now I tried to put the original back in and still nothing works. Monitor is blank. What do I do now??? Please help.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Idiot here (me) removed my CPU (it was hard to do because of a big heat sink attached) and one stick of RAM to attempt to upgrade. I tried to put my CPU pack in and change RAM. PC didn't work. Now I tried to put the original back in and still nothing works. Monitor is blank. What do I do now??? Please help.

What exactly happens? Does the machine even power up at all? You might have shocked your CPU, and/or motherboard while doing the changing. Try putting your old ram in and your CPU/heatsink, taking the cmos battery out (the battery on the motherboard) for about 10-15 minutes, put it back, and try to turn it on.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Also, are you sure you connected everything back the way it was? Did you connect back the CPU fan to the motherboard? Did you knock out any wires, etc... while doing the switch?

evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
It powers up (sort of), HDD spins . Some MB lights go on. CPU fan works but monitor is blank and I can hear the the HDD is not loading Win XP. Should I still try removing the battery? Thanks

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
It powers up (sort of), HDD spins . Some MB lights go on. CPU fan works but monitor is blank and I can hear the the HDD is not loading Win XP. Should I still try removing the battery? Thanks

Hmm, weird. Try removing the batteries though I doubt that's the problem now. If the monitor is blank then it might be a problem with the GPU, but it also can mean something else. Do you have any unused graphics card laying around that you can test out? You have fried something man...sorry to say. Is your CPU still under warranty?

List your full specs please.

evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
This is terrible and wife is going to KILL me! Specs: P4 2.4GB 3 banks of RAM 2x256 and 1x512. ASUS Video card. Is there anything I can try or troubleshoot? Should I try removing my video card?

evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
IT WORKS!!!! OMG all I did was put it right side up (it was on it's side). Thank you. Thank you. I'm tempted to say that I'll NEVER tinker with this again but -- we'll see how long that lasts.

evaninspain

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I disconnected the CPU fan and the case fan so that I could better hear the HDD. And I removed the video card so that I could clean the RAM socket (that might have been it). Then closed the case and put it away (thinking who to call in the morning). By chance I decided to try one last time - and POOF, it worked. I'm thinking now that the video card might have been lose somehow. Anyone, It's really nice to have someone else on the line during panic moments so thanks!

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
This is terrible and wife is going to KILL me! Specs: P4 2.4GB 3 banks of RAM 2x256 and 1x512. ASUS Video card. Is there anything I can try or troubleshoot? Should I try removing my video card?

I lol'd to this, I can relate! Glad you got it working before the wrath of the wife got you! :)

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Yeah if the monitor didn't show anything then it would have been a problem with the video card...which I found weird since it's highly unlikely that you could have shocked it... Congrats though :)