Closed

First time building. Need Help with OS.

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
  • Microsoft
Last response: in Windows 7
July 27, 2011 4:46:26 PM

My school offers the service of downloading Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade for 10 dollars. I also know Microsoft is offering Windows 7 for students for 30 bucks. My question is this:

Will the Upgrade version work on a newly built computer? Or should I spend the extra 20 bucks for the OS offered directly from MS?

More about : time building

a c 238 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 4:54:39 PM

An upgrade will work on a new computer but you still need a valid key from a previous version of windows. You will also need to use the double install method of getting it to work.
Score
July 27, 2011 5:01:01 PM

I was under the impression that the double install method makes it so you do not need to have a key from a previous version of windows, since youre upgrading from the upgraded windows 7 if that makes sense.
Score
Related resources
July 27, 2011 5:25:39 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
That makes sense, but if that were the case why even have full versions DVD's for sale?

Anyhow, it's listed as method 3 here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-ins...

Method 3 doesn't say anything about a key from an existing version of Windows though; i took it as the verification key for the upgrade itself. I am still somewhat confused.
Score
July 27, 2011 5:26:29 PM

Buy the $30 Student install for the full version. With the upgrade, you would have to install your old version then perform the upgrade if you ever wanted to wipe your computer.
Score
a c 238 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 6:15:40 PM

riser said:
Buy the $30 Student install for the full version. With the upgrade, you would have to install your old version then perform the upgrade if you ever wanted to wipe your computer.

Have you read any of the above posts? You can install via an upgade dvd without a previous OS install, but you have to use the double install method and to avoid breaking the MS licensing you still need to own a previous OS, even if it isn't currently installed.

@OP, just follow the double install method and when it asks for the key use the new key. If it says it's not valid, then use your old key from the previous OS.
Score
July 27, 2011 6:56:25 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Have you read any of the above posts? You can install via an upgade dvd without a previous OS install, but you have to use the double install method and to avoid breaking the MS licensing you still need to own a previous OS, even if it isn't currently installed.

@OP, just follow the double install method and when it asks for the key use the new key. If it says it's not valid, then use your old key from the previous OS.

Yeah but I have never bought the actual key from anywhere in stores, it has always came preloaded on a laptop of some sort. Also, if I do this, wouldn't I be deactivating the key I am using?
Score
a c 238 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 7:00:33 PM

No, it won't deactivate anything, but because of microsoft licensing I don't think you can legally use your old OS once you upgrade. You never mentioned wanting to keep the old OS. If this is the case, I'd just go with the full version.

edit
Also, even preinstalled versions of windows have a key. There should be a sticker on the laptop or somewhere in the documents that came with the laptop.
Score
July 27, 2011 7:08:14 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
No, it won't deactivate anything, but because of microsoft licensing I don't think you can legally use your old OS once you upgrade. You never mentioned wanting to keep the old OS. If this is the case, I'd just go with the full version.

edit
Also, even preinstalled versions of windows have a key. There should be a sticker on the laptop or somewhere in the documents that came with the laptop.

Well this is the first desktop I have built so I plan on keeping my laptop for schoolwork and such so I don't plan on not not using it. Yet, I read here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproin...

And it mentions nowhere, atleast from what I have read, that you need another activation key; all you need is to boot up, when it asks for you to verify don't verify, it installs, then restart and boot up the disk again, then upgrade using the verification key that came with the original download. Is this true?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 7:26:20 PM

You could settle this in a single stroke - use a Linux OS with no cost or activation issues.

Now that's what I call a Windows upgrade! :D 

Score
a c 238 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 7:33:37 PM

nave_ said:
Well this is the first desktop I have built so I plan on keeping my laptop for schoolwork and such so I don't plan on not not using it. Yet, I read here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproin...

And it mentions nowhere, atleast from what I have read, that you need another activation key; all you need is to boot up, when it asks for you to verify don't verify, it installs, then restart and boot up the disk again, then upgrade using the verification key that came with the original download. Is this true?

A lot of those posts are from 2009 and they erroniously say a previous OS must be installed to upgrade.

This is the only post I see that comes close:
Carey, the link you pointed out essentially confirms what several of us having been saying. It's the license that determines the validity, not the actual method of installation. As long as you have a license for the previous OS, it is OK to NOT reinstall the previous OS - such as would be the case for such an install.

From the article:
" Now there are many, many, many, many of you out there that already own Windows licenses that qualify for the Windows 7 Upgrade, so this is a non-issue for you. (I am talking about people who own a FULL license for a previous version of Windows for their computers already, as shown in the first picture example above.) For you, since you have the previous version FULL Windows license and qualify for the Windows 7 Upgrade, you have the rights to do a “clean” install."

Thus, you can use the double-install or registry patch method with a clear conscience, be within the letter of the EULA, and save a lot of time to boot. A lot of people are going to waste a lot of money and time trying to obtain lost recovery disks because this isn't made clear. Why make people waste time on the phone with their vendors trying to buy recovery disks that aren't necessary? If you have them, great. If you just feel like sitting around watching different Windows installers, great. If you don't, great.

Thus, the real question is - do you have a valid Win2k/XP/Vista license? If so, then no - you do NOT have to reinstall it if you don't want to. While it is recommended to start the install from a previous installation, as that will preserve your data (and for Vista, your applications), it is not technically necessary.
Score
July 27, 2011 7:34:46 PM

Saga Lout said:

You could settle this in a single stroke - use a Linux OS with no cost or activation issues.

Now that's what I call a Windows upgrade! :D 

HA I would but I would but most of my applications I use are windows/mac dependent.
Score
a c 426 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 7:40:27 PM

Buy the $30 Student install for the full version.

PLUS 1 ^
Score

Best solution

a c 238 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 7:46:28 PM

Hawkeye22 said:

edit

Yeah, this topic should have ended here. If you keep your old OS you are in violation of MS's EULA which is why I said get the full version. Even at $20 more it's a real bargain.
a c 426 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 7:48:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
a c 426 $ Windows 7
July 27, 2011 7:49:21 PM

Best answer selected by area51reopened.
Score
!