mark

I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
(FM2005).

Mark wrote:
> I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
> for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
> there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
> use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
> (FM2005).

Get the 17" LCD. It's a small difference in money and your eyes are
probably not getting any younger. They may work well enough with a 15"
today, but trust me -- the day will come you'll wish the print were a
tad larger.

I gave my sister the same advice 6 months ago when her 15" CRT died and
she's since thanked me for steering her to the larger display.

Other than the physical size they're typically identical with the same
resolution. When you step up to 19" (for a step up in price) then you
can get a higher resolution which opens up a whole other set of questions.

Good luck....

Bill

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Xns963DE0A5C28A4mesomewherecom@194.117.143.53,
Mark <me@somewhere.com> had this to say:

> I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size
> to go for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2
> inches would there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over
> the 15". I mostly use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net &
> a bit of gaming (FM2005).

Another issue? *grins* It's my understanding that CRT monitors (the older
ones) have better displays for photos and video. This is from Extreme DV
IIRC (a magazine) though I've no idea what is really better. Just something
more for you to look into I suppose.

Galen

Galen wrote:
> Mark <me@somewhere.com> had this to say:
>>I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size
>>to go for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2
>>inches would there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over
>>the 15". I mostly use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net &
>>a bit of gaming (FM2005).
>

> Another issue? *grins* It's my understanding that CRT monitors (the older
> ones) have better displays for photos and video. This is from Extreme DV
> IIRC (a magazine) though I've no idea what is really better. Just something
> more for you to look into I suppose.
>
> Galen

Totally biased opinion follows. ;) I have a 19" Samsung SynchMaster CRT, I
wouldn't trade for anything [comparably priced that is].
bj

two inches doesn't sound like a lot. but it makes an enormous difference.

"Mark" <me@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
> for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
> there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
> use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
> (FM2005).

I think you would be much happier going with the 17" especially with
what you want to do with the PC. I use one and it does make a difference
to the overall enjoyment of working.
Joan

Mark wrote:
> I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
> for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
> there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
> use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
> (FM2005).

The screen area of a 17" diagonal is over 30% larger than a 15".

"steve eddy" <seddy@nospam.socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> two inches doesn't sound like a lot. but it makes an enormous difference.
>
> "Mark" <me@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> >I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
> > for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
> > there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
> > use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
> > (FM2005).

mark

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)"
<wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net> wrote in

> Mark wrote:
>> I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size
>> to go for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2
>> inches would there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over
>> the 15". I mostly use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net &
>> a bit of gaming (FM2005).
>

> Get the 17" LCD. It's a small difference in money and your eyes are
> probably not getting any younger.

Thanks for your quick response. Just one more question though. How exactly
did you know that I have problems with my eyesight? Thats really spooky!

"Mark" <me@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
> for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
> there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
> use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
> (FM2005).

Go for the 17 inch monitor and make sure it's got a display resolution of at
least 1280x1024. Of course more would be even better. :cool: Reading on a
really nice quality screen with ClearType is an absolute joy. :cool:

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Byte

Your concern should be more with whether to buy a CRT or an LCD. A
17" CRT is less than 16" diagonally, but an LCD 17" is 17", although the
price is somewhat higher. Get a 17" LCD is my advice. Go to Best Buy or
Circuit City to compare many of the models on display, but stay away from
15"monitors,
you can get one on eBay for under $50.

Byte wrote:
> Your concern should be more with whether to buy a CRT or an LCD. A
> 17" CRT is less than 16" diagonally, but an LCD 17" is 17", although the
> price is somewhat higher. Get a 17" LCD is my advice. Go to Best Buy or
> Circuit City to compare many of the models on display, but stay away from
> 15"monitors,
> you can get one on eBay for under $50.
>
> "Mark" wrote:
>

>>I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
>>for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
>>there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
>>use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
>>(FM2005).

---------

TFT = LCD (a subset of LCD anyhow)

Bill

shaun

Get the 3", Duh.

"Mark" <me@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I am about to buy a new pc and would like to know what monitor size to go
> for. My choices are 15" & 17" TFT. Apart from the extra 2 inches would
> there be any other advantages in choosing the 17" over the 15". I mostly
> use my PC for digital photography,surfing the net & a bit of gaming
> (FM2005).

mark

Joan Archer <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in

> I think you would be much happier going with the 17" especially with
> what you want to do with the PC. I use one and it does make a
> difference to the overall enjoyment of working.
> Joan
>
> Got my new pc yesterday and went for the 17" TFT. I am very pleased with
my purchase so far.

Glad to hear you have your new system and are happy with your purchase
of a 17" Monitor, hope you continue to enjoy it.
Joan