do my bit for K10,how can I buy AMD's stock ?

Insane_Maniac

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Go to a stock broker to buy AMD stock.

If you want to help AMD, buy some Quad FX platforms.

Dude, even Baron hasn't got his QuadFX yet... and he's pretty dedicated to 'the cause'. ;)
That's mean man. ROFL. :mrgreen:

darious00777

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Go to a stock broker to buy AMD stock.

If you want to help AMD, buy some Quad FX platforms.

Dude, even Baron hasn't got his QuadFX yet... and he's pretty dedicated to 'the cause'. ;)
That's mean man. ROFL. :mrgreen:

Yeah, but Baron is displaying forethought.

Like me. As much as I want a quad-core, even if I had the money I wouldn't go for it (unless I had a million or so burning a hole in my pocket). My E4300 overclocked to 2.4ghz provides enough power for me in most things, and the cost to get double the performance would cost over four times as much. Just isn't cost effective.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
If you wanna do your bit to help the world, take the money you were gonna sink into AMD stock and donate it to starving children. Better there than in some corporate stockholder's fatcat bank account.

JCon

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
To buy stock in AMD...

First locate toilet.
Second place money inside toilet (cash only)
Third flush toilet.
Done.

You've successfully put your money into AMD stock, now just wait!

sailer

Splendid
It is what can i do for AMD, but how can i do this ,a foreign guy?

think for any advices :D

First, maybe you should find a good phychiatrst and discuss your desire to loose money and support the idiots that are presently running AMD.

If you still are determined to do it anyway, as Verndewd suggested, you can try Ameritrade of Scottrade, if those are available in your country, or an some other international stock dealer. Please wait another month so that the day of the stockholder's meeting is past and the news of wether or not the dilution occurs. If the dilution happens, whatever you invest now will be cut in half. If it does not, at least your money would be held in a safer place until that time, like your wallet.

sailer

Splendid
I don't think it matters as far as the price will be concerned. If the number of shares is doubled, without doing anything to increase the value of the investment, then that value per share will will be halved. Further, if it isn't released for sale, all it does is to increase AMD's ownership of the company, which dilutes the ownership value of the present investor. Last, if such shares are not sold, then they do nothing to help AMD pay its bills.

geoffry

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Actually when you buy their stock now the money doesn't go to them, it goes to whoever sold it to you.

Only during IPOs and secondaries does the sale of stock help out the company.

sailer

Splendid
I respectfully disagree, and the following is my reasoning.

For example, lets say a company creats one dollar of stock and sells it, with the value of each share of stock at ten cents and representing the value of one widget of the company's ten widgets that it has in inventory. Thus each stockholder owns the value of one widget. If the company were to double the number of shares of stock without increasing the number of widgets in its inventory, the value of each stock would now be that of on half a widget, whether or not the company sold the stock or held it.

If the company does not sell the new stock, then it has merely decreased the ownership interest of the other stockholders, while increasing it own ownership in the company. Thus it increases control of the company while decreasing the control of the stockholders. This does nothing monetarily to help the company, but does help prevent others from taking it over, because the company now owns fifty percent of the stock.

The only way that the company gains money is if it does sell some of the new stock. But if it does that, it can only sell for the value of half a widget. It may still gain some operating money, but the former stockholders are screwed out of half their investment. Thus, I submit that it dosn't matter if the company sells or retains the new stock, teh stockholders are now stuck owning half a widget, when they formally owned a whole widget.

sailer

Splendid
The biggest value I see in creating more stock and holding it is to prevent a hostile takeover. If AMD doubles the number of shares and holds them, no outside bid can be successfully made to take over the company. At worst, there would be a 50% attempt to take over, and that wouldn't work. But I would think that even if the stock was not sold, it still has a value, the value set upon it by the selling price of what is publically owned.

As far as inactive stocks not paying dividends, AMD doesn't pay dividends anyway, so that has no direct impact on the value, though the value of the stock would probably increase if a dividend was paid.

sailer

Splendid
The biggest value I see in creating more stock and holding it is to prevent a hostile takeover. If AMD doubles the number of shares and holds them, no outside bid can be successfully made to take over the company. At worst, there would be a 50% attempt to take over, and that wouldn't work. But I would think that even if the stock was not sold, it still has a value, the value set upon it by the selling price of what is publically owned.

As far as inactive stocks not paying dividends, AMD doesn't pay dividends anyway, so that has no direct impact on the value, though the value of the stock would probably increase if a dividend was paid.

I was generalizing. :oops:

Ok. I know most of the stocks I own do pay dividends, so it can be easy to forget that some do not.

abw

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2005
as it is 13.45$, you can buy it without fear, the risk being low at this level...i think that it will raise above 14 in a few days and then enter a bullish trend with the release of the k10 architecture....so good trading...

MatrixBaron

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I'm an AMD stock holder. It's going really good for me! I bought it at $40 a share and now my investment is worth $13 a share. W00t! Go AMD!

All Hail the Stock Marketopoly | Intel BK 2Q 2008

crow_smiling

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
I'm an AMD stock holder. It's going really good for me! I bought it at $40 a share and now my investment is worth $13 a share. W00t! Go AMD!
Well at least you actually do have a logical reason for your exuberant bullishness with regard to AMD; I though it was because you were psychiatrically challenged.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Further, if it isn't released for sale, all it does is to increase AMD's ownership of the company, which dilutes the ownership value of the present investor.

Uh, a company can't own itself. Unless the authorized shares are sold to investors there is no dilution.

I think it all hinges on how R600 sells. Either that or K10 making it out in June or early July. If thsoe two events don't occur its either shares (or more debt, or the sale of their stake in Spansion)

sailer

Splendid
Further, if it isn't released for sale, all it does is to increase AMD's ownership of the company, which dilutes the ownership value of the present investor.

Uh, a company can't own itself. Unless the authorized shares are sold to investors there is no dilution.

Why not? The company's value is at least gauged by the value of its stock, with the company's ownership determined by how much stock it has within its own holdings. If a company issues a million dollars worth of stock, but only sells 50% of that stock, then it retains 50% ownership of itself. Some companies have taken the step of retaining 51% of the stock so as to gaurentee that there can be no hostile takeover. This is sometimes done by the founding person of a company, whether the person was Henry Ford, walt Disney, or Sam Walton. It protects the company/founder from having to do things that other people force upon him.

TRENDING THREADS